XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some Advice Before Going to Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 05:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Need Some Advice Before Going to Dealer

I have a black 2001 XKR Convertible. I have a few issues I would like to bring up to see if anyone has advice before I go the dealership tomorrow.

The car was pulling to the right when I bought it. My mechanic wasn’t able to fix this issue. He isn’t very knowledgeable about Jaguars. About 6 months ago I started doing a heavy daily commute to an area filled with giant potholes. And I definitely hit some of them pretty hard. The car is riding really rough right now and I think the front end is shot. From what I read through the posts it could be a tie rod, bushings, and wheel bearings and/or power steering.Last year the dealership told me I needed to have the CATS suspension fixed and it would be very expensive. Oddly, they didn’t seem to think it was necessaryfor me to do at that time. (Sorry I am not mechanical at all.)

A few other things: it needs brakes (just front – flushing and pads.) And Ithink I could use tires but I want the exact ones (Pirelli) because they look really good. Right now, the ABS Traction not available amber light keeps coming on. (And I am just driving local and very slow.)

Also, this winter I had trouble starting the car. It would crank at least 4 times before turning over. I went to my mechanic who charged me, but didn’t fix the issue! So at this point I am ready to go to the dealership and I am prepared to pay because I know the car needs work. I really love this car so it’s worth it. By the same token, I don’t want to pay for anything unnecessary.

Thanks!
Leigh

I don't know how to add a photo of my car to this post. But it is located in the Photo Albums.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,323 Likes on 735 Posts
Default Advise

Leigh, be prepared for a big bill, just the parts for a good front end build will run $1000 and then all will have to be alined. If all bushing need replacing, well over the $2000 mark from a dealer.

Wayne

Old 05-26-2014, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Leigh,

The question you didn't ask is the important one. Does anyone on the forum know of a good independent Jaguar mechanic in your area? Going to the dealer is no guarantee of getting a good mechanic.

The dealership will be more expensive if you go in there with a long list of issues and what you describe will run you quite a bit at the dealer. Any competent mechanic can do the brakes on these cars, nothing special there. Ditto on simple suspension issues.

However, the pothole incident may have damaged something more serious and Jag expertise here will save you the inexperienced mechanic's "diagnostic" time. Diagnostic time in this sense is throwing parts at it until it gets better.

I'd certainly wait on the tires until you have the front end sorted out.

The following users liked this post:
llocklin (05-27-2014)
Old 05-26-2014, 11:13 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

With that list of 'service' items, I'd avoid the dealer too, unless its a part/symptom that the indy can't do themselves. You may have bent an inner tie rod, wheel, or a combination of both. The ABS could simply have that bad solder joint issue, and it can be rebuilt for minimal cost... $150 or so, I think. I have only read the threads...never had to send my 03's out for anything. Or, it could be a wheel speed sensor wire/harness issue...which is very common, or just extremely dirty! I don't see anything on your list of maintenance items that a good independent can't do for you. I do, however, recommend the new alignment be done by a dealer. Trust me on this.

Oh, and save yourself hundreds of dollars and think about tires other than Pirelli P-Zeros. Take a look at tirerack.com and review the Hancook Ventus Evo V12s. I'm on my 2nd set of these and for the price, they can't be beat.

llocklin (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 04:03 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by llocklin
.......... I don't know how to add a photo of my car to this post. But it is located in the Photo Albums.
Leigh,

I've taken the first photo from your album. The second was way too distracting.

Need Some Advice Before Going to Dealer-leigh.jpg

The ABS/TRAC light operates in two ways:

1. to indicate the system is operating (normal)
2. to show the system is unavailable (owing to a fault)

(1) is intermitent but (2) is usually permanent until the fault is fixed. If it is a fault and ABS/TRAC is unavailable, the car behaves like any other vehicle not fitted with these driver aids.

+1 to all the previous comments about finding an independent. These issues will be a huge $$$ from the dealer.

Hitting large potholes can often buckle wheels. There's many reports of this happening in other tech sections. Worth eliminating this before concluding the whole front suspension needs a rebuild.

Graham

llocklin (05-27-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 11:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the replies. I wish my mechanic could help me. Does anyone know one in Wayne, NJ or nearby. I drive an hour to my dealership so within an hour of 07470.

I will keep everyone updated. I hope it isn't too much damage. At least they gave me a brand new Jaguar XF loaner!

Old 05-27-2014, 11:23 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I was going to mention to swap front tires side to side and see if it pulls to the left. If it does you have a damaged tire that no alignment, suspension parts can ever fix.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by llocklin
Thank you for the replies. I wish my mechanic could help me. Does anyone know one in Wayne, NJ or nearby. I drive an hour to my dealership so within an hour of 07470.

I will keep everyone updated. I hope it isn't too much damage. At least they gave me a brand new Jaguar XF loaner!
I doubt he's within your target drive time, but "Authorized" in Flemington is a first rate operation. George, the owner, is as honest as they come. 908-788-1982