XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some help with my engine failsafe mode

Old 08-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help with my engine failsafe mode

Hello everyone.

I need some advice, tips, help on our 2000 XKR. The Failsafe engine modecame on yesterday out of the blue.

We haven't had any issues with the car,everything has been perfect. We drove to the mall yesterday, no issues,and parked, came out and it started up ok, but then felt like it was running on5 cylinders, really rough. It just sat there running like that, then the checkengine light came on and the failsafe engine message came on. We shut it offand waited but the same thing when we restarted it. So we got a tow truck tobring the beast home.

Now I went out this morning and fired it up to see what was going onand it started perfectly, ran perfect, no issues at all. The failsafe messageis still on, and the check engine light and the amber light on the messageboard is still on, but it runs perfectly. I’m looking for some advice, tips, andhelp to see what I can troubleshoot or check to fix it. Of course now itsrunning fine that may be a little hard, but I’m up for the challenge.

I'm wondering if buying an OBDII diagnostic scanner to troubleshoot itwould be worth the cost, I’m thinking it would be, but I’m unsure the bestplace to get one or the best type to get. I was wondering if someone might havea good link on where to buy one.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

wade

Old 08-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Well Wade, there's lots of posts on OBD readers. The first choice is, do you just want a basic one to read codes and clear the light? If so (and that's my choice) then there's piles out there, and cheap. Just get one that hooks to a laptop or ipad so that you can read live parameters.
Otherwise you can go the big bucks route and get something like Autoenginuity with the Jag package so that you can do a ton of stuff.
But back to basics- run it down to Autozone and get the codes read, then you'll have a starting point. Post the codes here and folks will help out.

Last edited by avt007; 08-18-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info I guess I will start looking for one, can't be a bad investment.

I do have an update It seems that it is a warm running problem. I ran the car from cold and it started fine ran fine. Once warm I turned it off, as soon as I tried to turn it back on, it ran just like at the parking lot.
So I guess I have a warm engine problem, the engine failsafe message and amber light are now off, but the check engine light is still on.

Thanks again

Wade

Last edited by Wadeyzf; 08-18-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

It's probably as simple as a bad injector or ignition, and any OBD should read the codes for that. My XJR ran lumpy, and I got a light and Restricted Performance. The codes showed an injector issue on cylinder 4, and simply removing and connecting the injector connectors solved it. Good luck.