Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Fix for Head Rest FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rothwell
Buying a longer cable is certainly a good solution.

I was too cheap to do that so I opted for a free, no parts needed solution.
  1. I cut the conduit right above the metal end.
  2. Then took a dremel and cleaned the plastic conduit remnant out of the metal end.
  3. Next I spread the metal end out so I could put the (now shorter) cable back in.
  4. Finally crimped the metal back to the conduit.

Working fine for the last couple years since I fixed both headrests.
Good one! That's a better alternative to cutting and splicing a piece out of the middle of the outer cable.

My 120" inner cable only cost $6.47 on eBay, so I'm not out very much money. The time to make the tool to square form the inner cable end, however, is my major investment. :-(

The following users liked this post:
cgaechief (05-21-2021)
Old 01-15-2016, 08:12 PM
Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Cables made - A set for sale

Big thanks to member chopr for the idea of replacing the cable rather than shortening the sleeves. And thanks for the specifications.

I ordered an extra pair of custom cables. $40USD for the first member that wants the pair. Private Message me.

A couple of tips.
1. Test the switch to see if the motor works first (if it doesn't work then you may have a blown fuse or a bad motor)
2. You don't have to remove the seat. Just move the seat forwards and tilt the back forwards
3. For the screws attaching the plate that holds the cable to the motor. Only loosen the back torx screw and remove the front screw. You'll need a T25 torx for the screws and a pair of pliers for the two clips that hold the straps underneath the seat.
4. I recommend you have a 1/4" ratchet, 4 inch extension, and Universal joint. that will help you get the screw out.
5. You don't have to pull the seat cover up all the way. Half way should do it for you.
6. After you pull the particle board stiffener out there are plastic clips along the edges. Push them inwards to release them from the metal frame.
7. When you pull the cover up do not pull on the foam bolster. Just the seat back cover.

blindside (10-20-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 08:23 PM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

PM Sent...

Old 05-22-2016, 04:43 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

After sifting through the useful banter I decided to fix my headrests today, and used the ferule cutoff method. There is about .6" of sheathing inside the ferule, so I cut it off flush (after pulling out the cable), the repair specifies 12mm, which is .47", but loosing a little extra is no issue. I then made several lengthwise cuts in the sheath that was in the ferule and pushed the pieces out through the big end, since the prongs inside make it difficult to go the other way. To reinstall the ferule I just heated the end of the sheathing a bit to soften it, and slid the ferule back on quickly to where the original end terminated. On my first try I didn't get it on far enough so heated the ferule and sheathing together and pushed it in a little more. I thought that I might have to run a drill through the hole to open it up a bit, but there was no issue there. The only problem I had was that I put the cable in upside down (I admittedly have a short memory) and struggled with re-installation, so remember that the long flat end goes down into the motor, the short end into the headrest. Now if I can just remember where I put my assembly fluid (IPA)......

Attached Thumbnails New Fix for Head Rest FAQ-cable.jpg   New Fix for Head Rest FAQ-end.jpg   New Fix for Head Rest FAQ-ferule.jpg  
cgaechief (05-21-2021)
Old 10-20-2016, 11:52 AM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by cyber3d
Big thanks to member chopr for the idea of replacing the cable rather than shortening the sleeves.
And a BIG thanks to cyber3d for ordering that extra set of cables that I bought from him

I FINALLY got around to fixing the headrests this morning using those new longer cables and it was a breeze...they now work as intended. It definitely seems like a more permanent fix than the other methods... only time will tell!

The biggest benefit is that I no longer have one headrest all the way up and the other one all the way down.

Old 05-21-2021, 06:56 PM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Best Headrest fix to date:

el tigre (06-24-2021)