XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member

hi, my name is ron, I have 2 jags - 01' s type and 00' XKR. s type has been a great car, dependable and economical. the xkr, very nice but has had some issues. having trouble with moisture in the driver headlight cover - and turning the lights on 15 minutes does not dry it out. I read the article about drilling a hole and inserting a "t" pipe - this a one shot deal with expensive consequences if you mess up. Any better suggestions? an air compressor only dries it out so much

Old 11-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Welcome Ron,

You'll get more response to your question if you post in the XK section.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Yup, otherwise let's move it down
Welcome

Old 11-15-2010, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Welcome! I don't have a solution for you, but I am confident someone on here will.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:37 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I do remember that was a "known" problem for at least some model years. I was at a dealer one time looking at used XKs and he mentioned that because one of the one's on the lot had it in there. Sorry, don't know of any fix though.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:52 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Welcome. This is the place to come to. I've had the same issue with my o2 XKR and found that it already has the factory white rubber tubes insalled. Still doesn't stop it entirely, especially after a wash that encourages condensation. Good luck.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

accrding to the heading, this is posted in XK section - thanks for the scolding

Old 11-15-2010, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by 7stars
accrding to the heading, this is posted in XK section - thanks for the scolding
I think one of the mods must have moved it. No one was scolding... just trying to help you put it where you'll get the best response.

Here's another thread where this problem is discussed. There is a TSB (Official Jaguar document that explains how to fix a problem). TSB 417-05 explains the fix. You haven't been a member long enough to download attachments, so here's the text of the TSB.

Lighting - Headlamp Condensation Guidelines/Repair

XK

417-10

DATE: 07/05
MODEL:
1997 MY-ON
XK Range

VIN:
001001-ON

Headlamp Internal Condensation - Acceptable Levels - Repair Guidelines

Issue:

This bulletin informs dealers of the standards relating to acceptable/unacceptable levels of condensation that may occur in the headlamps. The misting is generally caused by natural condensation and can be expected under certain atmospheric conditions. Certain levels of condensation are deemed acceptable by Jaguar.
Note: Incorrect replacement of bulb-covers following bulb replacement can lead to condensation forming. Ensure bulb-covers are correctly installed. If this is determined to be the cause of the condensation, measures should be taken to dry out the lamps and to ensure that the bulb-covers are installed correctly. Condensation levels should be monitored to allow natural dissipation of the condensation.

Action:

Should a customer express concern relating to the above condition, refer to the following detailed explanation of Jaguar's standards on this subject. For additional information, refer to 417-05 and 417-06.

Normal condensation is a natural process. Headlamps are vented to alleviate changes in pressure through two open vents. Atmospheric air contains water vapor, commonly referred to as humidity. When this air enters the headlamp under any circumstance, there is a possibility that condensation can occur if the temperature is low enough. When normal condensation occurs, a thin film of mist can form on the inside surface of the plastic lens. The thin mist will clear and exit through the vents during normal operation.

During a period of normal headlamp operation, the condensation should dissipate as the lamp heats up. Condensation should typically clear from the function pocket areas of the headlamp lens when the headlamp dip and main beam functions are turned on with the engine running for a 30 minute period. Prior to switching the lamps on ensure that all of the headlamp service caps are secure and that the two rubber breathers are in place. During this time the hood should be opened to maximize air flow around the headlamp assemblies.

Note: Due to different packaging conditions on opposing sides of the vehicle, the amount of condensation within the lamps may differ. The rate at which condensation clears will also differ. Therefore, the lamps should be left on for the duration of the recommended 30 minutes drying time regardless of whether one lamp has cleared ahead of the lamp on the opposing side of the vehicle.

Note: Headlamps with light misting should not be renewed under warranty.

1. Turn the headlamp dip and main beam functions "ON", and run the engine for 30 minutes.

^ If water droplets still remain on the inside of the headlamp glass, the lamp should be renewed.

^ If there is evidence of standing water within the headlamp unit, the unit will also need to be replaced.

^ For additional information, refer to Global Technical Reference (GTR) Workshop Manual, section: 417-05, Headlamp Assembly.

---------------------------------------

Headlights - Condensation/Revised Lens

417-06

XK
DATE: 07/03
Amended 04/04

MODEL:
1997-*2004* MY XK Range

VIN:
001001 - *A39841*

Condensation Build-Up - Headlamp Assembly - Install Revised Lens

Remove and destroy Bulletin 417-06 dated 07/03. Replace with this Bulletin.

Updated information is shown with asterisks.

Issue:

On some 1997-*2004* MY XK vehicles, within the above VIN range, customers may complain of condensation build-up in the headlamp assemblies.

A new modified headlamp lens with an anti-mist coating is available to solve this complaint without replacing the complete headlamp assembly. This lens should only be installed if the ventilation modifications outline in Technical Bulletin 417-05 Amended 04/04 have not been successful.

Action:

In case of a customer complaint of the above condition on a 1997-*2004* MY XK vehicle within the above VIN range, first refer to the repair procedure in Technical Bulletin 417-05. If the modification procedure has been performed and has not solved the concern, install a new lens as outlined below.
1. Install new headlamp lens assembly (see Workshop Manual, JTIS CD ROM section 417-01, SRO 86.41.39).

--------------------------

Headlights - Condensation

417-05

XK
DATE: 12/01
Amended 04/04

MODEL:
1997-*2004* MY XK Range

VIN:
001001 - *A39841*

Headlamp Misting - Improve Ventilation - Repair Procedure

Remove and destroy Bulletin 417-05 dated 12/01. Replace with this Bulletin.

Updated information is shown with asterisks.

Issue:

Some 1997-*2004* MY XK vehicles may experience a build up of condensation in the headlamp assembly. A T-piece vent pipe can be installed to aid air circulation to reduce condensation in the headlamp.

Action:

In case of a customer complaint of condensation build-up within the headlight assemblies, install the a T-piece vent pipe, following the procedure below.

MODIFICATION PROCEDURE

1. Inspect headlamp to see if stub pipe is present (Illustration 1).

Note: If stub pipe is present, continue with workshop procedure from step 2, if stub pipe is not present, obtain a new headlamp assembly and continue from step 3.

2. Remove headlamp assembly (see Workshop Manual, JTIS CD ROM section: 417-01, SRO 86.41.33 or 86.41.36).

3. Reposition headlamp so the stub pipe to be drilled is facing downward.

4. Carefully drill a 9 mm diameter hole upwards into headlamp using the stub pipe as a guide (Illustration 2).

Note: Maintain headlamp in the same orientation as for the drilling operation and shake out any drilling debris ensuring none remains in the headlamp.

5. Place headlamp on clean bench.

6. Install and align T-piece to stub pipe (Illustration 3).

Note: Ensure headlamp stub pipe and T-piece mating surfaces are free from oil and grease.

7. Install the headlamp assembly (see Workshop Manual, JTIS CD ROM section: 417- 01, SRO 86.41.33 or 86.41.36).

Old 11-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i found an easy and quick solution to removing the condensation in my headlights by removing the big plastic cap on the top of the headlight. it can be reached through the engine bay. all you have to do is unclip it and pull it out. after driving for about 10 to 15 minutes all the condensation should be gone. i also found that if you keep the cap off water doesnt get into the headlight when it rains. ive had the cap off for about 2 months now and it raining right now and theres no water in the headlight

Old 11-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I havent had this problem but if I do, I think I will drop a little dessicant pellet into the light housing. You can find the dessicant pellets in pill bottles. A lttle wire could be attached to prevent losing the pellet inside. I;m not sure how much moisture a pellet could adsorb nor how long it would take, but it might be worth a try.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I too leave my plastic cap 'ajar' so that condensation does not occur, and if it does (once or twice in heavy heavy miserable weather) it evaporates very quickly on stopping...15 minutes or so.