XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner looking for advise and good looks

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 07:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner looking for advise and good looks

Hey there Jag owners, I'm new to this. Just got my first XKR and I'm in love. It's got 125k miles and in great shape. Sounds like I need a service at 130k. The timing belt tensioner has been replaced and there are lifetime plugs installed.

Wondering what I should be aware of and or what other mods I might want to consider? While I do like stock vehicles, I am also intrigued with the Arden front end mods.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,323 Likes on 735 Posts

Welcome Hooverhuff and you have good taste. The Arden front end is nice, the whole kit extreme and expensive. Enjoy the car and keep us up dated. Lots of reading and you will know more than you ever thought possible about your car.

Wayne

Old 02-19-2015, 12:24 AM
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

New owner looking for advise and good looks
Well, I don't have much advice, but I have lots of good looks...

Old 02-19-2015, 02:44 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by hooverhoff
........ The timing belt tensioner has been replaced and there are lifetime plugs installed.

Wondering what I should be aware of .......
The tensioners have been done so that leaves two other regular weaknesses on the XK8:

1. so called 'sealed for life' transmission
2. cooling system

You may want to consider a transmission fluid change if there's nothing in the history to show it's been done. This isn't in the Jaguar Scheduled Maintenance but it significantly increases transmission life.

The V8 is easily damaged/destroyed by overheating. Water Pump, Thermostat and Hose condition should be checked. Be aware the temperature gauge is useless - plenty of threads here on this.

More details in the FAQ's at the top.

Graham

Old 02-19-2015, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Any "New" car I get I fully replace the fluids within a year or so, Since you have no idea of age or service, this includes coolant, brake, in xkr case SC oil, transmission and if you do any rear suspension work differential. Since your car has some years / miles on it you may need some suspension work , front top mounts (and rear) if original are probably shot. Coolant parts ie thermostat / housing and hoses all will be getting to EOL, You'll want to spend some time in the forum to get a feel for what may occur and most things you find will have been addressed here at some point. Read the DIY sticky on the top of the forum and you'll see links to many items. ALso if you are going to do the maintenance yourself I'd recommend installing the JTIS service guide.

Good Luck w your new ride and post pics when you gt your mods done there have been many interesting ones posted here previously, both performance and cosmetic.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

My 10 cents, or pence worth as I am from England.

At first glance it does look like a nice motor. However when you look at it from a less subjective standpoint there are quite a few factors that would put me off that car, many mentioned before.

The body kit. Modernises it. Problem with that is its a classic car. Any good car club would not appreciate that look but its personal preference.

A car like the X100 is going up in value based on its originality. That certainly does not look original.

Wheels again personal preference but I do not like them.

Seats look dirty.

In one of the earlier pictures it looks like the original interior colour was green? or is that a trick of the light?

The engine bay is frankly a mess. Bits all over the place. A lot of pipes have been replaced but not with proper parts.

The air intake is joke.

I could go on. But I am sure you get the idea by now.

So find yourself a good looking X100, good choice. X150's are ok if you like that sort of thing. My personal preference is for the better looking X100, better hurry though as they are going up in price over here.

Old 07-06-2019, 05:19 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Infinite scroll strikes again!

I hope hooverhoff has found all the answers in the four years since this thread was posted. As it's eighteen months since his last visit to the forum, the XKR is probably with a new owner now.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Muncie6spd (07-10-2019)