XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new seat covers / please advise 97 XK8

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 10:43 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default new seat covers / please advise 97 XK8

Ok guys. I want to be sure before I spend $655.00 on new seat covers. Topsonline has the seat covers for my 1997 XK8. I would like some feedback that's current on anyone who recently has purchased from them. Quality of leather , fit and overall look. I found early threads that were favorable. I just want to be sure. I invested in timing tensioners and a few other things to make her mechanically sound. The front seats are all thats left and this cat is going to be very pristine for a 100K miles car. Thx in advance for any input.

Jim

Old 07-25-2014, 12:29 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by convgto69
Ok guys. I want to be sure before I spend $655.00 on new seat covers. Topsonline has the seat covers for my 1997 XK8. I would like some feedback that's current on anyone who recently has purchased from them. Quality of leather , fit and overall look. I found early threads that were favorable. I just want to be sure. I invested in timing tensioners and a few other things to make her mechanically sound. The front seats are all thats left and this cat is going to be very pristine for a 100K miles car. Thx in advance for any input.

Jim
Well, this is sort of a co-inkydink. I just yesterday got finished installing a set of frt seat and headrest covers for a fella who carried them in. The box says they came from topsonline.com. Overall I think the quality seems pretty good. The leather, gaining and stitching all pass muster. Fit was good, the only thing missing compared to original were two fabric belts that were attached to the bottom inside of the two seat squabs. The originals had those belts that went around the bottom of the seat back frame and attached with hog rings to the back of the seat structure. They kept a good downward pull on the front of the seat material. The replacements didn't have them, but it didn't seem to cause a fit problem. Long term though, it might. Only time will tell.

Bear in mind yours is a '97. The seat covers are somewhat different than this 2001. But if they are similar in quality to these, you are probably OK.

Cheers,

Attached Thumbnails new seat covers / please advise 97 XK8-dscn2704.jpg   new seat covers / please advise 97 XK8-dscn2705.jpg   new seat covers / please advise 97 XK8-dscn2706.jpg  

Last edited by xjrguy; 07-25-2014 at 12:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
convgto69 (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Well, this is sort of a co-inkydink. I just yesterday got finished installing a set of frt seat and headrest covers for a fella who carried them in. The box says they came from topsonline.com. Overall I think the quality seems pretty good. The leather, gaining and stitching all pass muster. Fit was good, the only thing missing compared to original were two fabric belts that were attached to the bottom inside of the two seat squabs. The originals had those belts that went around the bottom of the seat back frame and attached with hog rings to the back of the seat structure. They kept a good downward pull on the front of the seat material. The replacements didn't have them, but it didn't seem to cause a fit problem. Long term though, it might. Only time will tell.

Bear in mind yours is a '97. The seat covers are somewhat different than this 2001. But if they are similar in quality to these, you are probably OK.

Cheers,
Thank you for the feedback. Thats why I love this site.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Bought a driver's seat bottom from them for my 2002 XKR, (I live 5 minutes away from their shop). Quality was good, though a bit granier texture and a bit more matte than the original. However, now after a year and a half of my big butt sliding in and out, the patina and grain has become very similar to the rest. You will be pleased.

Attached Thumbnails new seat covers / please advise 97 XK8-dscf0524-1280x960-.jpg   new seat covers / please advise 97 XK8-dscf0522-1280x960-.jpg  
convgto69 (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Now I may be of service to you! I ordered new seat covers from topsonline and had the customized with black stitching on oatmeal leather. They came in and looked great quality and since I was pitting in a black interior, the color wasn't an issue. That being said, I had originally ordered the black but the texture and the color was actually off, hence the decision to do a contrast color.
I took em to my trim shop and he called a day later and said, "I want you to see this seat before I finish"
The covers were saggy, pulling and basically looked like crap. I was so upset. When I called topsonline, he said it wasn't his covers but my seats that had the issues due to the age. Essentially the foam had been mashed all these years.
Well, I had my trim shop add 1/2" foam and, yes, they finally fit, but were fatter and bigger than before.
I have to say, once we did that, they were amazing and it was like a new interior and the seats were really firm and supportive, BUT!!!!! It cost me an extra 200 installation. Something I would have considered had I known.
If you want them tight and smooth, add foam. new seat covers / please advise 97 XK8-image.jpg

convgto69 (07-25-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 07:31 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default XK8 seat covers

Hi Jim

I purchased a set of Oatmeal leather covers from topsonline for my 2001 XK8. This was mid last year and they were purchased over the internet based on photos (I'm in OZ). When they arrived they were an EXACT match for colour and texture. Remember this was not a full retrim - just front seat covers and so match was very important.

Maybe I got lucky but their materials, quality, workmanship, and communication was all I could have asked for and now the crappy worn seat covers that made the interior look dowdy are gone!! I'm very happy

jd

convgto69 (07-26-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 10:52 AM
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Jim,

I did a lot of research and made the decision to go with Topsonline.

I installed both seats with new backs and bottoms just a couple of weeks ago and I was extremely pleased with the quality, the color, and the fit.

Two words of caution:

They don't come with the holes punched for the seat switches nor where the seat backs attach to the bottoms, so make sure not to demolish your old covers as you will need them for a template.

The other thing to be cautious about is removing the seat levers that allow the seat backs to come forward.

Mine being a convertible, they shattered in tiny pieces as I removed them due to age and UV exposure.

If I had to do it all again, I probably would have used a heat gun first and warmed them up before I tried to remove them. The lever 'surrounds' have two compression posts, so they basically slip on and off, and the lever itself has a notched tab on one side that 'catches' on the metal lever inside of the seat back.

Make sure to be patient and take your time, and I think you'll love the results.

Oh yea...keep a couple of Band-aids handy also. The project is a real knuckle-buster.

convgto69 (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 11:40 AM
Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

My order went in this morning with Topsonline for a set for my XK8. There were two styles to choose from depending on the center pleat length. If you order the wrong length the seat cover is either to tight or two loose. In my case the order was style 1 for a center pleat length of 14 1/4 inches to 14 1/2 inches. I'll post my results once they arrive and are fitted.

convgto69 (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 02:45 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

I installed their vinyl covers. They look just like the leather and have 'grip' that leather doesn't - i.e. you don't slide around in the seat like you do on leather. My ex' preferred that, she liked how leather slides and her skirts didn't end up twisted around with entry/exit. Me? I like the grip, especially when pushing through country roads. Your butt stays planted right where you put it.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:22 PM

Thanks guys. As soon as I get the car back from the body shop I plan on doing the seats. Unfortunately on Saturday while on my way to my friends shop for my seats my car was hit by a lawn chair that flew off someones pickup. Nothing tied down. Damage to my hood , bumper, headlight cover, drivers fender and drivers quarter after it was run over by my rear tire and bounced up into the quarter. Going to body shop tomorrow for the insurance adjuster. I expect about $2 - $3 K in damage just from paint work needed. big dent the size of my fist in the hood. Bummer, but my seats will get done after this set back. Thanks for all the feedback.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:01 PM
Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
Now I may be of service to you! I ordered new seat covers from topsonline and had the customized with black stitching on oatmeal leather. They came in and looked great quality and since I was pitting in a black interior, the color wasn't an issue. That being said, I had originally ordered the black but the texture and the color was actually off, hence the decision to do a contrast color.
I took em to my trim shop and he called a day later and said, "I want you to see this seat before I finish"
The covers were saggy, pulling and basically looked like crap. I was so upset. When I called topsonline, he said it wasn't his covers but my seats that had the issues due to the age. Essentially the foam had been mashed all these years.
Well, I had my trim shop add 1/2" foam and, yes, they finally fit, but were fatter and bigger than before.
I have to say, once we did that, they were amazing and it was like a new interior and the seats were really firm and supportive, BUT!!!!! It cost me an extra 200 installation. Something I would have considered had I known.
If you want them tight and smooth, add foam. Attachment 91529
I know nothing about uphoslstry but would some heat from a heat gun help with the wrinkles?

Old 07-29-2014, 05:03 PM
Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by convgto69
Thanks guys. As soon as I get the car back from the body shop I plan on doing the seats. Unfortunately on Saturday while on my way to my friends shop for my seats my car was hit by a lawn chair that flew off someones pickup. Nothing tied down. Damage to my hood , bumper, headlight cover, drivers fender and drivers quarter after it was run over by my rear tire and bounced up into the quarter. Going to body shop tomorrow for the insurance adjuster. I expect about $2 - $3 K in damage just from paint work needed. big dent the size of my fist in the hood. Bummer, but my seats will get done after this set back. Thanks for all the feedback.
I remember that post. Sucks. Sorry.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:05 PM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Beav
I installed their vinyl covers. They look just like the leather and have 'grip' that leather doesn't - i.e. you don't slide around in the seat like you do on leather. My ex' preferred that, she liked how leather slides and her skirts didn't end up twisted around with entry/exit.
Vinyl it is!

Old 07-30-2014, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
Vinyl it is!
Warning, vinyl will damage much easier. My brother ordered the vinyl covers for his corvette and he sat on his keys and went right through. I struggled over leather or vinyl and got samples of both. They look the same basically but I could rip the vinyl sample but the leather wouldn't budge. Plus, the leather smell the next day after install was intoxicating!! Talk about a new car smell!!

Old 07-31-2014, 10:02 AM
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Going vinyl for me was tempting due to the price difference, but my top is down year round living here in Arizona, so leather was the only reasonable choice if I wanted it to last.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:48 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

I've always had vinyl in my convertibles, never had an issue with durability. YMMV