Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New XK8 Owner. Couple of Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Default New XK8 Owner. Couple of Questions

Hi,

I'm the new owner of a 2005 XK8 convertible. Wow what a fine car! I don't know why I didn't get one sooner. I just had a couple of questions:

1) What is the best place for ordering new parts? And used parts? The car is missing some non-essential items like floor mats, key fob, CD changer magazine and a rocker panel end cap.

2) Is there any type of auxillary input adapter available for the car to where I could connect an ipod and/or satellite radio receiver?

3) My passenger door window won't index properly b/c it seems as though the latch micro sensor is bad. Is there a link out there on how to remove the door panel and replace the latch? I usually work on cars myself, but never a Jaguar before.

Thanks for any help! I'm excited to be a Jag owner and forum member!

Rob T.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

congrats... great choice! where's the pics to show her off?

I just saw an ad for XK8 floor mats, I think it was jagbits.com. Pricey, but nice. Or go custom with an aftermarket...just don't skimp on the quality carpet.

The IPOD interface thingy is called an Audio Connectivity Module or ACM. Dealer installs these, and if you need more information and details...do a search for either IPod or ACM, and there are lots of threads on this forum. I personally didn't go that route, so I dont have any firsthand knowledge.

As for a source for jag parts, can't go wrong with a couple guys.

ken@britishparts.com is a member here, and works at a place called Motorcars Ltd. I save about 30-40% over dealer prices for the exact same parts.

for used, you can try jagtechohio, he's got good sources for salvage parts, and so far, everything he's gotten me works 100%. I recommend him highly.

Sorry, not sure about your passenger door window.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:20 PM

Thanks Matt for the information. Attached are some pictures of the car. It's a 2005 with 22k miles. It is very clean! Your car is very nice! I need to take some professional pictures similar to yours.

Rob

Old 06-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Rob, welcome to the forum and the mystical world of Jaguar!

DesertCat, its a WHITE one.

Couple other answers:

The key fobs can be found on eBay everyday. Seems lease holders keep them for a souvenir. Never understood that. About $30. Programing instructions available on this forum.

CD changer magazines are generally available at speciality stereo stores such as WalMart. Saw them 3 for $18 at one time.

I remember a guy posting instructions for disassembling the door panel for audio purposes. Try a search. A bad latch micro switch is not unheard of.

You are going to give Matt a big head with the 'professional photos' comment. He did them his own self. Pretty good for an engineer.

Again, welcome aboard and join the banter.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:46 PM

Thanks! Call me strange but I've always had a thing for mystical cars that you don't see everyday. I did find a key fob and magazine on ebay and I have ordered a door latch. Thanks to you guys on the forum I was able to determine that the latch sensor is in fact bad. I now remember Matt saying that he took the pics himself. He does a great job....may make his head a little bigger.

Rob

Old 06-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by crtfour
Hi,

3) My passenger door window won't index properly b/c it seems as though the latch micro sensor is bad. Is there a link out there on how to remove the door panel and replace the latch? I usually work on cars myself, but never a Jaguar before.

Thanks for any help! I'm excited to be a Jag owner and forum member!

Rob T.
The panel has a screw behind the door handle, one below the rubber in the armrest cup, and one under the switch panel which must come off first. Then just fir tree snaps in fastners.

Usually, this is caused by the window adjustment coming loose.
There is a 10mm nut near the center , back area of the door that moves in a slot about 3/4 " high. Often adjisting this up or down will make the window seal correctly.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Manchester, TN, just up the road from Ellijay.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Congrats on the new toy. All-in-all I think that your color combo (white with the oatmeal interior) is the one of the nicest looking on these cars. I was searching for a used white one but they are pretty rare. I also noticed you sweet looking Vette (1966?)--great pair of "toys"

Doug

Old 06-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Veteran member

Thanks rob (and testy), true am an engineer, but I take photography as a serious hobby so I do appreciate the compliment. Melon check... still same size, keep trying.

Love your car too Rob, don't have to worry about outdated NAV maps on that model either. She looks really clean. Hope to see you around more!

Old 06-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by wazari
There is a 10mm nut near the center , back area of the door that moves in a slot about 3/4 " high. Often adjisting this up or down will make the window seal correctly.
I've heard this is a common 'adjustment' that all verts must undergo every couple years to keep the seal nice and tight. Next time this goes into the audio shop, i'm asking them to pull the door panel off so I can do the adjustment.