XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie craving some R

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default newbie craving some R

well after a nice spirited drive in the xk8 i now feel the need to sell it on and replace it with the only thing that would surpass it in my mind ... an xkr.

dont get me wrong i love the 8, but with thaughts wanting a colour change and fancying the black interior i might aswel swap the car and add some forced induction while im at it

so any hints and tips for xkr shoping will be greatfully absorbed .

craig

Old 12-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Try tightening the throttle cable and adding a conical air filter before you dump the 8. You might be surprised.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:43 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

DJ;

Skid wants an XKR too, he just won't admit it.

I went through the analysis of what year to buy three months ago and thanks to the Forum I moved up to looking only at the models in 2002-05.

Unless you are a good mechanic or have buckets of money it is just easier to pass on the 'troubles' of the earlier models.

You pass the cam tensioners issues, nikasil liner issues, go from a 5sp MB to a 6sp ZF, gear box, get a 4.2 instead of the 4.0 engine, more HP, get Brembro brakes and the Alpine Stereo system upgrade is standard.

Detroit or Montreal wheels are a very pretty and easy to clean upgrade that only adds a little to the price.

Coupe or Convertible....personal preference both are great.

Trovit.com will phish for all the new listings in car ads across the UK for you so you don't have to search them all.

You can specify what you want so you only see relevant ads. That said I think I first spotted mine on exchangeandmart.co.uk.

Move quickly if you see a good car for a good price they don't hang around long....while the pre 2002 cars seem to languish for months for sale and are more likely to be discounted from the asking price.

You might even try running an ad on this forum inviting sellers to make you an offer...never know what jewel you might turn up that some forum member is moving.

let us know what you find and as always send photos.

cheers,

jj

Old 12-28-2011, 05:16 AM

thanks for the replys.

ive noproblem with the performance of the 8 its far from a slow car but the R offers more potential for tuning and i like to fiddle .

i think i may go for the 4.0 pre 02 coupe changing the chains and tensioners is a doddle and im allways happyer to buy a car that has not been done so i can correct all the comon faults (plastic tensioners, weak front bushes ect) and know they have been done properly and not botched up by a dodgy seller .

as far as im aware 450 bhpis only a set of pullys and an engine map away, is this true ?

preferably looking for black or grey with the black interior but im allways open to alteratives if something catches my eye

Old 12-28-2011, 05:20 AM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

Go for it!

I had to have an xkr after giving up the old z06. Well, I don't have any dyno numbers, but after installing the smaller +3psi pulley and x-pipe my 02 r coupe definitely feels at least as quick and "sporty" as the z06 used to. Though I miss the ls1 growl and manual gearbox sometimes, I couldn't be happier with the jag. This is the first car in a long time I can honestly see myself keeping for a while.

I know it's personal preference, but find a coupe if you can

Last edited by pomosv; 12-28-2011 at 05:28 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by pomosv
it will have to be a coupe for me , the soft top is a stunning car but i dont have to face to pull it off

Old 12-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Perfect reason to get a convertible.....everyone will be looking at the car not the driver.

Enjoy either one.

cheers,

jj

Old 01-11-2012, 11:07 AM

the deposit has been payed and i collect on sunday .. i ended up going for a 2002 silver xkr coupe . black interior. complete with the 20" detriots and the brembos. cant wait to get it and give it a good once over

Old 01-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_jekyll
the deposit has been payed and i collect on sunday .. i ended up going for a 2002 silver xkr coupe . black interior. complete with the 20" detriots and the brembos. cant wait to get it and give it a good once over
And already-upgraded chain tensioners?

Old 01-11-2012, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by oldjaglover
And already-upgraded chain tensioners?
as soon as i have the car it will be goingto classic performance to have the tensioners checked (and replaced if needed) gearbox fluid and filter change. coolant, oil, filters, brake fluids ect. so itl have a good once over

Old 01-11-2012, 04:27 PM

as soon as i have the car it will be goingto classic performance to have the tensioners checked (and replaced if needed) gearbox fluid and filter change. coolant, oil, filters, brake fluids ect. so itl have a good once over
Good job! How was the price?

Old 01-11-2012, 04:31 PM

Go for it!

I had to have an xkr after giving up the old z06. Well, I don't have any dyno numbers, but after installing the smaller +3psi pulley and x-pipe my 02 r coupe definitely feels at least as quick and "sporty" as the z06 used to. Though I miss the ls1 growl and manual gearbox sometimes, I couldn't be happier with the jag. This is the first car in a long time I can honestly see myself keeping for a while.

I guess we can call ourselves "converts". Corvettes are a blast for awhile (I had my ZR-1 for almost 10 years, and had made some good performance upgrades), but they beat you to death and you don't realize it until you drive a car like the XK8 or XKR. Of course, I love putting the top down and being able to feel the wind and see all around me.

The following 2 users liked this post by oldjaglover:
dr_jekyll (01-11-2012), pomosv (01-12-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

well after a nice spirited drive in the xk8 i now feel the need to sell it on and replace it with the only thing that would surpass it in my mind ... an xkr.
That's what happened to me.

The XK8 was nice and all, but it was the gateway drug to a newer and much nicer XKR.

I couldn't be happier. An XKR is what I needed.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:54 PM

im real exited . the price i would consider to be very reasonable considering its got the full spec and all the extras

Old 01-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

32 years of driving Jaguars on and off (mostly on the last 20) and given the fact I had a XKE, XJS convertible and coupe I find this XKR I have now the most fun of all of them.

Even though im a tad on the closer to retirement side I still love fast cars and had numerous Mopar musclecars over the years and I dont mean stock ones. Having never DRIVEN an R in XK or XJ form I really had no clue except what others always said. First day I had my XKR after driving it a little I launched from a stop and couldnt believe how it pulled. Needless to say im hooked. I will enjoy this one a while and might even change the pulley and exhaust but I will at some point find a newer 4.2 I know it.

As much as I love the coupes..... there is something to say for the convertibles.... oh yeah, I know what it , CHICK MAGNET !!!!! "Hi, can I have a ride in your Jag, I just love convertibles !" , LOL.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

"As much as I love the coupes..... there is something to say for the convertibles.... oh yeah, I know what it , CHICK MAGNET !!!!! "Hi, can I have a ride in your Jag, I just love convertibles !" , LOL."

The problem then becomes once you give them a Nibble you can't get rid of them... Then it's more like Fly Paper... you gots dem everywhere...

The car can be part of your persona Because once you park the car all you have are the keys and hopefully the personality to continue peaking her interest...

Old 01-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by oldjaglover
I guess we can call ourselves "converts". Corvettes are a blast for awhile (I had my ZR-1 for almost 10 years, and had made some good performance upgrades), but they beat you to death and you don't realize it until you drive a car like the XK8 or XKR. Of course, I love putting the top down and being able to feel the wind and see all around me.
+1 on the former Vette pile. Mine was a C4 Vert I had for six years. I loved the car but it did beat on me and wasn't enjoyable for more than a romp. The XKR has power, comfort and daily driver ability(I did last year and will this year) whicxh my Corvette didn't have.

The thing on XK8 v XKR for power is that I walked away from 8s saying it was a nice car, I walked away from the R and went damn that was surprising!

Old 01-12-2012, 01:16 AM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like a twin to mine, except you have the optional 20'' detroits and black interior - I look forward to some pictures!

Next step...undersize SC pulley!

Old 01-12-2012, 03:35 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I had never owned or even driven a Jaguar and bought my XKR blind online from a dealer in Norwich. I knew I would never be satisfied with the XK8 simply because of the existence of the R. My ambition is to own a car with 1000hp before I die, though with the way things are going, we'll probably all be driving around in micro vehicles powered by garden compost within 10 years.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:47 AM

Sounds like a twin to mine, except you have the optional 20'' detroits and black interior - I look forward to some pictures!

Next step...undersize SC pulley!
yes ive already orderd the pulley and exhausts. i dont think im in ot for the power so much , just the look and sound of the v8. i have an msa spec track supra that i race and nothing feels fast after driving that thing, it has around 650bhp 600lbs of torque and weighs crica 1300kgs . but imho the xkr is the ultimate road going gt cruser with a punch, and looks to die for

Last edited by dr_jekyll; 01-12-2012 at 04:59 AM.

Quick Reply: newbie craving some R