Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No sound from turn signal

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by kvmentor
No, there is no sound when the top opens all the way.

Back to the original topic

I suggest checking the remaining BPM fuse, #17 On the passenger side of the dash.

If that is OK, disconnect the negative terminal from the battery and touch it to the positive terminal to reset the computers. Then reconnect and reset the windows.

If you still have problems, we will need to get into the steerng column to check if the speaker is getting a signal. Let me know.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 12-23-2011 at 05:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kvmentor (12-24-2011)
Old 12-24-2011, 08:15 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default No sound from turn signal

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR

I suggest checking the remaining BPM fuse, #17 On the passenger side of the dash.

If that is OK, disconnect the negative terminal from the battery and touch it to the positive terminal to reset the computers. Then reconnect and reset the windows.

If you still have problems, we will need to get into the steerng column to check if the speaker is getting a signal. Let me know.
Ok, will check it out. Thanks very much and merry Christmas!

Old 12-24-2011, 11:15 PM

I checked fuse 17 and it's fine. I disconnected and touched the negative to the positive and the only thing that happened as you said was I had to reset the windows. So I guess next issue is the speaker. Would appreciate any instructions on what to look for,

Thanks
Kal

Old 12-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Next I would suggest breaking out the wires from a pair of cheap discardable headphones.

Extend the steerring wheel all the way up and out. Remove the two #2 phillips screws from the underside of the steering column. Pull or pry off the lower plastic shell of the steering column. You will see the small speaker on the right, beside where the perforations were on the removed shell are. The speaker slips into a a black plastic mount at the top, and has two tiny white push-pin type fasteners on the bottom. Pull the pins out of the pushpin fasteners and remove the fasteners. You can then drop the speaker down and rotate it enough so you have access to the connections.

Hold or clip the headphone wires to the speaker connections while you try the turn signal with the ignition on and see if you hear the sound through the headpones. That should tell you whether the speaker is bad or not.

Then reassemble. One note, I found those pushpins just about impossible to reuse, but small 4" tie-wraps fastened tightily in each lower hole do a perfect job of holding the speaker in place once engaged in the upper mount-so I recommend having a couple on-hand.

If it is not a bad speaker, save those headphones, next would be to check for the sound further up the line.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 12-25-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:12 PM

Next I would suggest breaking out the wires from a pair of cheap discardable headphones.

Extend the steerring wheel all the way up and out. Remove the two #2 phillips screws from the underside of the steering column. Pull or pry off the lower plastic shell of the steering column. You will see the small speaker on the right, beside where the perforations were on the removed shell are. The speaker slips into a a black plastic mount at the top, and has two tiny white push-pin type fasteners on the bottom. Pull the pins out of the pushpin fasteners and remove the fasteners. You can then drop the speaker down and rotate it enough so you have access to the connections.

Hold or clip the headphone wires to the speaker connections while you try the turn signal with the ignition on and see if you hear the sound through the headpones. That should tell you whether the speaker is bad or not.

Then reassemble. One note, I found those pushpins just about impossible to reuse, but small 4" tie-wraps fastened tightily in each lower hole do a perfect job of holding the speaker in place once engaged in the upper mount-so I recommend having a couple on-hand.

If it is not a bad speaker, save those headphones, next would be to check for the sound further up the line.
Thanks WhiteXkr - as soon as I get a couple of hours off, that's what I'll do.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:25 PM

Sorry I was traveling for a few - I checked with a pair of old headphones and there was no sound.

Incidentally I found two wires in the trunk near the battery with plastic connectors -one is a wide, white plug (perhaps it is for a phone which I do not have) and then a smaller black connector - not sure where either one of them connect - not a lot of slack in them (and they do not plug into each other). I am still suspicious that the tech unplugged some line when he was installing the new fuel tank.

Do you know if there is an electrical drawing for the sound? Where is the amp that feeds those speakers?

Thanks

Old 01-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

Schematic in JTIS, see sticky at top of section page. Sound signal comes from Body Processor Module, found behind glove box.