XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD2 port bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 07:08 PM
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default OBD2 port bad?

So my cheapie reader connects, seemingly with no issue, but I just tried connecting my icarsoft scanner for the first time and in the diagnose OBD2 mode it reads "fail" for all the checklist. (pic attached hopefully). Also when I "rock" the connector the power to the icarsoft goes on and off suggesting an intermittent connection.
Is it easy to get this port out/replaced? Could I do it fairly easily? Is there some kind of connector attached to the back of the port that could be faulty?
Many thanks
Alan

Old 09-05-2018, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I noticed a lot of folks stopped by but no one ponied up. I am not positive but I do not believe there is a connector that can be unplugged for replacing the OBD port. You would probably have to cut and splice. From your description of the fault it doesn't appear that the connector is the problem but the pins on the ICarsoft are the problem. Especially if you can connect seamlessly with the cheap one and have to rock the ICarsoft one.
You might try using electronic cleaner and clean and clean up all of the contacts for the scanner and port.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

You can check the electrical manual on jagrepair.com for all the details on the networks page. These connectors are standard (J1962) and can be cheaply bought/replaced individually. Check eBay for all kinds of variants (extensions, breakouts, etc.). There is a fuse, too, but yours seems fine. FWIW, standard OBDII is only available over ISO-9141. There is CAN and SCP, too that should have the Jaguar proprietary codes. That reader should be able to get them if it is Jaguar/LR specific. The ignition is on, right? Engine can be off, but the computers have to be powered on.

Separately, it might be worth checking if there is a software update from the vendor...

The following users liked this post:
alanroberts50 (09-06-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 01:44 PM
Received 157 Likes on 105 Posts

Raising hand...My car has a replacement connector that was installed before I bought it....I don't recall whether or not it worked when I bought the car, but the wire splices connecting the OBD II connector and the car's wires are very fragile and I kicked them apart a few times before wrapping them in an ugly ball of electrical tape (which is fairly well hidden).

Aesthetics aside, it's fairly easy to match the 15 (!) tiny wires with the OBD II port. You just need a schematic and a circuit tester or Volt/Ohmmeter. My schematic is for a '97, but I believe the newer electrical guides also provide a page on the subject. If no one else raises their hand, I'll try to attached a copy. Or have a look at Gus's jagrepair.com . I'm sure it's on his site.

If you find an elegant way to splice the wires (any wires !), I'd love to hear about it.

The following users liked this post:
alanroberts50 (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 07:58 AM
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by avern1
I noticed a lot of folks stopped by but no one ponied up. I am not positive but I do not believe there is a connector that can be unplugged for replacing the OBD port. You would probably have to cut and splice. From your description of the fault it doesn't appear that the connector is the problem but the pins on the ICarsoft are the problem. Especially if you can connect seamlessly with the cheap one and have to rock the ICarsoft one.
You might try using electronic cleaner and clean and clean up all of the contacts for the scanner and port.
Thanks so much. I do have eyes on the back and looks like it would need to be spliced.icarsoft is brand new but on obd all the tests come up "fail" and on the jag diagnostics it will be part way through and then throws an error saying it lost connectivity with the vehicle. so that's when i rock the connector and it restarts but getting all weird readings like all fuel trims say
-100%. I finally have a code and cel p1638. Relay perhaps?

Old 10-01-2018, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,579 Likes on 945 Posts

which model of icarsoft are you using ?

Z

Old 10-01-2018, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts

I had the same issue on my chevy truck..looked whete the pins are in the obd2 connector of the truck and found 2 of them pushed back.using a magnifying glass (sorry axx old eyes) I took the screws out securing it and was able to push the pins back in from the backside. I have the icarsoft i930 and use it on my str. In obd2 mode it picks up on the 3rd one...the first one in line that says can