XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh god, what have I done?

Old 08-13-2013, 11:52 AM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Talking Oh god, what have I done?

Hello Jagforum.
I have been a lurking member for the last couple of years and finally this is my first post.
Since laying eyes on the xk8/Xkr series from 96-06 I have been trying to acquire one of these most beautiful of cats. No luck until now.
A friend with a dealership recently came into possession of a 2000 Xkr with 70k miles. It is very strait body and paint wise. The engine is another matter.
The P.O. Said car was in storage for two years, started in order to charge battery, left unattended, thermostat stuck, car ever heated. Plausible, but can you believe a PO?

He does not want to bother with the vehicle. Knowing I have been trying to get one he has made a proposal. He will fund the repair of the car, I will do the repair. I get first digs at the car at cost. He will give a sweetheart financing.

I must be crazy, feels like a pact with the devil. But what's
a man in love to do?
GO FOR IT!

I am counting on the Forums wisdom to help me reach my objective. Be prepared for a lot of silly questions.

Thank you
Juan

Ps. I must have read all 161 pages of the Forum at least once. Many more than once.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:23 PM
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Welcome!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

You need to research the engine before you agree to anything. Does it have metal tensioners or not? That's probably the first thing I'd look at. How bad did it overheat? Enough to drop a valve seat? I bought my XJR in a similar deal, a bit of a gamble because you don't know how expensive the engine will be until you take it apart.
Worse case scenario you could always buy another complete engine. Price that out, then work a deal with this guy, and if the numbers are ok, do the deal. But be wary of any agreement that leaves you taking the risk of the unknown damage.
Head gaskets, tensioners and timing chains, tools, gaskets, etc just cost me $1750 in parts, and I did all the work. And that is with no head damage.
Look before you leap, my friend.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:43 PM

Would it be possible for you to buy the car from him in its current condition, and then fix it? I would be nervous about the deal as it stands. Just my opinion, though.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:36 PM

Thank you Xjr Chad.

AgreedmAVT007. I will have control of what is done and what gets bought and placed on the engine, using his money not mine, so I have no loss but my time and I get to have all the fun in his ticket.
Engine starts and I did not see any white smoke out of the pipes. The car was very low on the coolant tank, I filled it with Zerex G-05. I will loosen the inter cooler plug an finish filling through there. There was no oilynresidue on the expansion tank. The oil cap had a very small amount of brownish matter on the bottom, the dipstick was clean, oil on stick looked normal.

The engine does miss. I am not without resources, I have a veteran mechanic looking over my shoulder. I have yet to read the codes. The computer indicates a CEL and is in restricted mode. The battery (interstate with vent, 1000CCA) was dead. Charged it and the car started at once.

My friends opinion is that the compression is high, upper radiator hose was bulging. He suggested we pull the engine and remove the heads. Send them out to check. If they are rebuildable we have been quoted $250 per head.

What would you recommend I do prior to pulling and tearing into the engine?

Old 08-13-2013, 01:44 PM
GGG
Received 16,757 Likes on 12,146 Posts

Welcome to the forum Autobahn Kid,

Good to have you here with us at Jaguar forums.

I take it you've made the decision and the vehicle is either yours already or soon will be?

Follow this link XK8 / XKR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the XK8/XKR section advice, help and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Lower Atlantic Region section by following this link Lower Atlantic - NC SC FL GA - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to find other members in your region.

Good luck with the project and enjoy the forum.

Graham

Old 08-13-2013, 01:46 PM

Good luck with the XKR. There's nothing quite like a supercharged Jag. Great... Now I want to take mine for a drive, but I'm stuck at work for another 3 hours...

Old 08-13-2013, 01:51 PM

Thank you Graham.
I have added to my signature.
Can this thread be moved to the xk8/Xkr sub forum?
Should I repost?
Juan

Old 08-13-2013, 02:06 PM
GGG
Received 16,757 Likes on 12,146 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobahn kid
Thank you Graham.
I have added to my signature.
Can this thread be moved to the xk8/Xkr sub forum?
Should I repost?
Juan
Juan,

Moved from New Member Area - Intro a MUST section to XK8/XKR section as requested.

I've left a re-direct in the New Member Area.

Graham

Old 08-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Welcome!

Old 08-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobahn kid
Thank you Xjr Chad.

AgreedmAVT007. I will have control of what is done and what gets bought and placed on the engine, using his money not mine, so I have no loss but my time and I get to have all the fun in his ticket.
Engine starts and I did not see any white smoke out of the pipes. The car was very low on the coolant tank, I filled it with Zerex G-05. I will loosen the inter cooler plug an finish filling through there. There was no oilynresidue on the expansion tank. The oil cap had a very small amount of brownish matter on the bottom, the dipstick was clean, oil on stick looked normal.

The engine does miss. I am not without resources, I have a veteran mechanic looking over my shoulder. I have yet to read the codes. The computer indicates a CEL and is in restricted mode. The battery (interstate with vent, 1000CCA) was dead. Charged it and the car started at once.

My friends opinion is that the compression is high, upper radiator hose was bulging. He suggested we pull the engine and remove the heads. Send them out to check. If they are rebuildable we have been quoted $250 per head.

What would you recommend I do prior to pulling and tearing into the engine?
From your description the car may not need a head rebuild. Slow down and read the codes first. The hoses are these cars are known to expand considerably when they age due to softening rubber. Also your coolant pressure release cap valve might be bad.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

Ok- Here's my $.02.
Check compression- if it reads ok, your looking good, no dropped seats.
Replace thermostat
Check for coolant leaks with a pressure tester

You *may* have a car that just needs a few minor things changed out OR it may need a new engine (overheated for too long)

Some folks think overheated means steam came out (possibly just a split hose)
Some folks think overheated means it wouldn't drive anymore after a 120mph run when a hose burst, then drive for 10 more miles until the engine would no longer
If #1, happy days you get an inexpensive XK
If #2, you still get an inexpensive XK, but your gonna want a different engine (used or rebuilt)

FYI- earlier XK's have nikasil lined cylinders, which DO NOT like overheating.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

Oh, two more things:

1. DO IT.
2. Pics or it didn't happen.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by XJRChad
Would it be possible for you to buy the car from him in its current condition, and then fix it? I would be nervous about the deal as it stands. Just my opinion, though.
+1. Make sure you have something legal in place. Be bad to spend time and energy on something just to have him sell it out from under you and simply have you provide free labor.

Low batteries in these cars cause all sorts of issues. I'm amazed you aren't getting more problems showing up, but up to now it doesn't sound too bad. Check compression and go from there.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:49 PM

Pictures coming.
Check codes
Check compression
Pressure test cooling system.
Replace thermostat.
Report back.
Post pictures or no cigar.
Got it.
Ai Ai sirs!

Old 08-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Find the engine serial number if you can. There are threads on the forum on where to find it. It will help tell us the status of the engine.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:57 PM

Ok guys here are some pictures. Fresh of the transporter.

Attached Thumbnails Oh god, what have I done?-9507370094_ffeb6ed2b0_d.jpg   Oh god, what have I done?-9507371244_37577d14a3_d.jpg   Oh god, what have I done?-9504578535_39ff5ba97a_d.jpg   Oh god, what have I done?-9504576935_bf88f8881c_d.jpg  
Old 08-14-2013, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member

Pull the air intake pipe and check the accordion for cracks.. Oh and NICE car!!!!

Old 08-14-2013, 05:20 AM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

Is that the correct expansion tank? Doesn't look like it to me.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveJacks
Is that the correct expansion tank? Doesn't look like it to me.
The XK8 and XKR use different expansion tanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oh god, what have I done?