XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil out, engine sick. Next...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil out, engine sick. Next...?

Well, it happened, oil out on the XK8 and at interstate speeds too. The driver pulled over as soon as possible and the engine stalled (siezed, I guess).

I probably shouldn't have but I got it started again (after adding oil). It is noisy like a **** with a very loud rattle and it won't be being driven in that state. Good news is that the turnover was reasonable smooth so I'm thinking I don't have a stuck valve or anything nasty like that. However, as pretty as it is as a driveway ornament, I need to get it back to being drivable (hopefully).

So first question is what is likely to be up with it? Searches I've done have turned up results for other engines which suggest it could be the con-rod bearings.

Either way, it looks like this is going to be an involved process. What's my best bet do you think? Going for a rebuild or simply replacing the engine? I'm more concerned with doing this economically than in a hurry.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:55 PM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

I can feel the pain.

Never a minor incident when this happens. Even if switched off immediately and coasted to a halt, the damage is usually done.

Main bearings and big ends are usually the first to give up if all the oil is lost. The associated sound is a heavy rumble. Rattles tend to be from the top end.

For me in the UK, it would be a simple decision to go for a replacement engine as these are easily obtainable. This option may be more difficult for you in the US. The alternative of a fully rebuild will be very costly if there's crankshaft damage which is beyond an undersize regrind.

Good luck.

Graham

Old 05-20-2013, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

I agree with Graham. Go for a used engine. They are turning up with some regularity here in the US due to wrecks (body trashed but engine okay).

By the time you tear an engine down, ascertain what parts and tools you may need and what you "may as well do while it's apart" - will have a lot more invested than you ever imagined.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:26 PM

Well, it looks like starting price for a used engine is about $2500 plus 300 shipping from these guys: Purchase Your Engine From 123Engine.com . Potentially less if I just pick up something used and if I can get it more locally.

I think I will start by removing the engine and begin tearing it down and will look out for a replacement in the interim. I am just beginning to look into the process but one of the big issues I am potentially seeing is that it looks like the procedure is to remove the crankshaft and have it polished then refit oversized bearings (since wear will have been caused). I'm just not sure where to get oversized bearings from. I have managed to turn up replacements for the OEM but that won't be what I need?

Old 05-20-2013, 01:27 PM

I should add that this engine was only at around 80k so that may have some bearing on refurb vs replace (though no doubt it got 150k worth of wear during the oil-out).

Old 05-20-2013, 05:31 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Could the timing chain have jumped? What year?

Old 05-20-2013, 09:30 PM

It's a 2001. Is timing chain jump a possibility? (Well, presumably since you said). I'm not sure how you'd check that. As I said, there didn't seem to be any noise when cranking it over but the noise when it does run does sound a little like my diesel engine.

Trending Topics

Old 05-20-2013, 09:33 PM

It befuddles me that our cars will tell us when we're down to a couple of pints of water but will only let us know that the oil level, the lifeblood of the most delicate and, in certain aspects, most important part of the car, might just be a problem when the pump is sucking on air.