XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking brake works.... too good ! won't release

Old 06-07-2018, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,564 Likes on 936 Posts
Default Parking brake works.... too good ! won't release

like the title says, Parking brake works.... too good ! it won't release . That is, it won't release reliably. Tried every type of handle action I can think of, easy, hard, slow, fast. 50% of the time the parking brake does release on the first try. Other times I have to go thru the parking brake cycle several to many times before it "decides" to cooperate.

Is this a common issue, or more isolated ???

Z

Old 06-07-2018, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

When you say will not release are you talking about the handle will just not unlock the ratchet or the wheels are actually locked up?

I dought its the wheels because the parking brake on our cars just does not work that well.

If it's the ratchet on the leaver it may just be gummed up. The leather, well fake leather, boot unsnap so and you can access the mechinisum. Try lubbing it. As well as the cable.

The following users liked this post:
zray (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jandreu
When you say will not release are you talking about the handle will just not unlock the ratchet or the wheels are actually locked up?........"
it's both. The ratchet is not releasing, therefore the wheels are still locked.

thanks for the tip on accessing the ratchet. Hopefully a little attention will free it up.

Z

Old 06-08-2018, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

Are you pushing the button in while pulling the handle up?

Old 06-08-2018, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RJ237
Are you pushing the button in while pulling the handle up?
no. The manual (drivers handbook) I have makes no mention of using the button when applying the handbrake, only when dis-engaging the brake. However I have tried every possible combination of button-lever that I can think of . Sometimes it works as outlined, most times it won't release on the 1st thru 5th try., more or lesss....

Eventually it will release.

i still haven't tried to lube the assembly as suggested. Will report back when I've had a chance to do so.

Z

Old 06-08-2018, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Parking boot has only one snap that I can see, it's a 2002 XKR if the year matters. Below the snap the cover is stitched . Is it just supposed to pull off, or are there some additional snaps (hidden ??).

z

Old 06-08-2018, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

It just pulls off, also look under the car just in front of the rear wheels, about mid car you will see the parking brake cable where it has a mechanism that controls each wheel, you can adjust the cable here.

zray (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member

thanks !!

Z

Old 06-09-2018, 03:48 AM
GGG
Received 16,758 Likes on 12,147 Posts

See my post #2 in this thread for downloads of the relevant Parking Brake sections from JTIS:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ge-all-202726/

The diagrams show the adjusters on the central yoke and at each wheel.

Graham

Jon89 (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

Got the cover off without damaging it and lubed everything I could (without further disassembly) with a silicone spray. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Z

Old 06-09-2018, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Question Parking Brake?

ZRay,

I'm on my 4th XK8-R and have yet to use the Parking Brake.....Mine always has Park on the Shifter Bezel. Personally, I wish Jaguar had not put the darn thing in the Car, as it only gets in the way!

I hope you get it to release! If you do, please tell us how you managed to do so....

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 06-09-2018, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Some states mandate a fully-operational parking/emergency brake as part of the annual safety and emissions inspection. North Carolina is one of them....

Old 06-09-2018, 06:11 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by bcprice36
..... I'm on my 4th XK8-R and have yet to use the Parking Brake.....Mine always has Park on the Shifter Bezel. Personally, I wish Jaguar had not put the darn thing in the Car, as it only gets in the way! .....
Billy,

If there's any hills in Houston you might like to consider just what is holding the weight of the car next time you park on one:

Parking brake works....  too good ! won't release-zf-parking-pawl.jpg
(double click on the image to enlarge it)

If that tiny little lock disc or spring goes then so does your car.

My technique is come to a halt on the foot brake, engage the parking brake and then move the transmission in Park.

The Parking brake is also there as an emergency brake in the event of a hydraulic failure on the braking system. Because it is entirely mechanical it can still operate on the rear brakes to bring the vehicle to a halt. Best checked from time to time rather than wait for an emergency to find it's seized up.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
JagNoir (06-09-2018), zray (06-10-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Exclamation Thanks for the reminder!

Graham,

Honestly, I have not used a Parking-Brake on any Car, much less my XKR's since I got rid of my 2004 Ford Cobra Convertible with the 6 speed and only used it a few times then. As there are no Hills in Houston, except for over-passes and they are on the Freeway.....Seriously, as life has gone by, the use of the Emergency Brake has gone with it.....I think the last time in one of the XK Coupes was when I got the 1997 XK8 Coupe and the Dealer showed me how the Darn thing worked...….Never tried that again on any of the 3 XKR's either.....Then I was given a Loaner 2010 to drive and was never knew for sure where it was! So, there you are....All I know is I catch my foot in mine almost every time I try to get out of the XKR...…….

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 06-10-2018, 10:30 AM
GGG

..... As there are no Hills in Houston, except for over-passes and they are on the Freeway.....
Billy,

I have to agree Houston looks VERY flat.

Parking brake works....  too good ! won't release-houston.jpg

Not too many vehicles either.

I see from Google that Texas is three times the size of the UK and has only a quarter the number of vehicles on the roads that we have here.

Graham

Old 06-10-2018, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
Billy,

I have to agree Houston looks VERY flat.

Attachment 215990

Not too many vehicles either.

I see from Google that Texas is three times the size of the UK and has only a quarter the number of vehicles on the roads that we have here.

Graham

90% of Texas has the same human population density as the dark side of the moon. And it is just as hospitable to human life as the surface of the sun. The cities are admittedly not as densely populated vs. European cities, but they make up for it by sprawling outward for 10's of miles, with little or no planning as to what growth goes where. My daughter lives in a Dallas suburb and has to drive 90 minutes each way to work, and thinks that's an "easy" commute. She can have it . I live in Oklahoma, the state north of Texas . The population of my whole state is less than the population of the Dallas-Ft. Worth. metroplex..

if London traffic is measurably worse than the Texas cities, I'll just have to figure out another way to get to Cornwall without going thru London.

Z

Last edited by zray; 06-10-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:33 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zray

90% of Texas has the same human population density as the dark side of the moon. And it is just as hospitable to human life as the surface of the sun. The cities are admittedly not as densely populated vs. European cities, but they make up for it by sprawling outward for 10's of miles, with little or no planning as to what growth goes where. My daughter lives in a Dallas suburb and has to drive 90 minutes each way to work, and thinks that's an "easy" commute. She can have it . I live in Oklahoma, the state north of Texas . The population of my whole state is less than the population of the Dallas-Ft. Worth. metroplex..

if London traffic is measurably worse than the Texas cities, I'll just have to figure out another way to get to Cornwall without going then London.

Z
We live in Fort Worth, which is the 16th largest city in the US (and one of the fastest growing), and traffic is not a problem at all. The two cities, while frequently mentioned together, are very different!

bcprice36 (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Smile Gentlemen of the World!!!

Hey! I've been to London and I've been to Tulsa and I went to College in Denton, which is part of the DFW Metroplex and I don't remember many Hills in any of those places either.....I think the only Hill I remember in London has an Observatory on it. Tulsa has more hills than either London or Dallas put together....and I've not said a word against either one of those fine Cities, as they are just fine for me....and now you Guys have ganged-up on me about my Home State of Texas! Especially those from Oklahoma.....We've been feeding the "Okies" beef for as long as I can remember and what's wrong with commuting 50 miles to work....at least we have jobs! And over in London, I asked why they didn't have any old Tall Buildings (there all new) and was told because of the invention of the Elevator. Now that's old!

Hey! I know it's "Hot" down here and it's a long way from Orange to El Paso but that's a good thing....when you get to El Paso, you're half way to California! From my House out here in Cinco Ranch, it's only about 30 miles to Downtown Houston but what the Heck! We still don't need to use the Emergency Brake! Also Graham, you've Googled up the wrong Town...That Photo you sent is of Dallas!!!! (See Houston below)

Love you Guys, have fun!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Parking brake works....  too good ! won't release-photo-houston.jpg

Houston, TX 77001

Old 06-10-2018, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Wink Texas Bill, my Man in Ft.Worth

Fort Worth is where the West begins! But Bill, the thing about Traffic is a bit out of place....I invite you to try IH-35N on a Friday afternoon!!!

Hope Betsy is still doing a good job for you! I've always wondered what they call Folks from Fort Worth...Is it Fort Worthens or Fort Worthen's or what?

Billy Clyde in Houston

Parking brake works....  too good ! won't release-fort-worth.jpg
Fort Worth, Texas

zray (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member

Fort Worth is where the West begins! But Bill, the thing about Traffic is a bit out of place....I invite you to try IH-35N on a Friday afternoon!!!

Hope Betsy is still doing a good job for you! I've always wondered what they call Folks from Fort Worth...Is it Fort Worthens or Fort Worthen's or what?.......".
Hope no one thinks I was slamming any of the worlds fine cities. I'm just a country boy at heart, and even though I've lived in many fine cities, such as Los Angeles, New York City, Miami, Austin, Honolulu, Hong Kong, Bogota, etc. I don't even like to venture 40 miles south into Tulsa. So I moved back to my hometown for my retirement.

If driving 90 + minutes in order to have a decent job is a persons way to happiness, I'm all for it, for them that is. As the list above shows, I've lived in some crowded cities, and learned to do what had to be done to make it work.

My town, Bartlesville, Oklahoma, is 35,000, population, and being the headquarters of Phillips 66 (formerly Phillips Petroleum, and then ConocoPhillips) means there are plenty of good paying jobs here , just like a big city has, but on a smaller scale. Plastic was invented here (think HulaHoop), , and we've always been among the top cities with the number of scientists (PhD level) per capital thanks to the. Phillips Research Center. It takes me 3 minutes to go from city center to open countryside, even during rush hour . Once in the country I can enjoy the driving experience of the. Osage hills. Plenty of curves and changes of elevation make for a satisfying and stimulating driving experience, at whatever speed one thinks is safe, if not altogether legal on occasion.

i didn't know what the folks in Ft Worth call themselves, maybe just Texans. ??? But this should get a chuckle, in my little town, we call ourselves Bartians, rhymes with Martians,

LOL.

Z

PS. Still love to travel, if I could get to Cornwall by just driving, I'd start out in 5 minutes. Ever since the first Poldark series, I've wanted to go there.....

PPS. back to the hand brake, it seems to be releasing fine now. Thanks for the tips on getting the cover off !!!

Last edited by zray; 06-10-2018 at 08:04 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parking brake works.... too good ! won't release