Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

parking sensor removal procedure

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 883 Likes on 472 Posts
Default parking sensor removal procedure

I need to remove one of my parking sensors but it is not too clear how to get them out, they seem to be spring loaded but after a bit of pulling, twisting and pulling they remained in place.

Can anyone let me know what the correct procedure is please.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:37 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceDiagnostics
I need to remove one of my parking sensors but it is not too clear how to get them out, they seem to be spring loaded but after a bit of pulling, twisting and pulling they remained in place.

Can anyone let me know what the correct procedure is please.
They are spring loaded and the housing clips into the bumper before the sensor is fitted inside. The diagrams from the fitting instructions are easier than trying to explain it:

Assuming you have the Jaguar version and not aftermarket.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails parking sensor removal procedure-xk8-reverse-park-sensors.jpg  
Old 08-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, have you actually tried it?

Old 08-28-2012, 01:45 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceDiagnostics
Thanks, have you actually tried it?
I've fitted a Reverse Parking Kit from scratch but never needed to subsequently remove a sensor.

Graham

Old 09-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

I got back to them today, once you have the knack its fairly easy, its a bayonet fitting. I removed 3 of the sensors, sanded down the front, the paint was bubling and repainted.

Now the parking aid is working perfectly.

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Received 281 Likes on 203 Posts

Howdy Folks: EDIT 8/31/3013 see post #9 in that you may also have a plastic panel/strengthener that may require some cutting for access.
Just a little extra info for what is is worth. I was able to pickup a used right angle connector outer sensor on Ebay for $25. Even though it was the right angle connector for the outer sensor locations, I was able to manipulate it for the inner right sensor installation without removing the bumper or such. Afterwhich, I conclude that straight and right angle sensors are interchangable. If one has physical limitations such as larger hands than mine, then a different method may need to be used.
The paint I used was Dupli-Color BGM0347 Med Gray Met. from Pep Boys which I could not tell from the original Quartz Met. (I do not claim that it is a match for say a fender repair)

Last edited by Dr. D; 08-31-2013 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Possible additional cutting required
The following users liked this post:
worrasf (08-31-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 05:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GGG
I've fitted a Reverse Parking Kit from scratch but never needed to subsequently remove a sensor.

Graham
Hi, I was thinking of one of these for my 1999 XKR, does anyone have any advice/recommendation?

I was thinking the wireless version so I don't have to run a wire from the bumper into the car, I was looking at this from Maplin but for a 'Wireless' kit it seems to have a lot of wire... Anyone used it?

Any advice gratefully received, and I promise not to paint it yellow

Old 05-14-2013, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass-man
Hi, I was thinking of one of these for my 1999 XKR, does anyone have any advice/recommendation?

I was thinking the wireless version so I don't have to run a wire from the bumper into the car, I was looking at this from Maplin but for a 'Wireless' kit it seems to have a lot of wire... Anyone used it?

Any advice gratefully received, and I promise not to paint it yellow
I've looked at wireless for my front arden kit I'm putting on.
The wireless part is the receiver (usually in the rear bumper) to the interior warning unit. You still have to run wires to reverse lights for rear sensors and brake lights for front sensors.
I'm still looking into these also.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:01 AM
Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Not quite interchangeable

Originally Posted by Dr. D
Howdy Folks:
Just a little extra info for what is is worth. I was able to pickup a used right angle connector outer sensor on Ebay for $25. Even though it was the right angle connector for the outer sensor locations, I was able to manipulate it for the inner right sensor installation without removing the bumper or such. Afterwhich, I conclude that straight and right angle sensors are interchangable. If one has physical limitations such as larger hands than mine, then a different method may need to be used.
The paint I used was Dupli-Color BGM0347 Med Gray Met. from Pep Boys which I could not tell from the original Quartz Met. (I do not claim that it is a match for say a fender repair)
I'm really grateful for this post as it gave me the confidence to replace 1 dud sensor on my 2001 XKR. It was the centre near side (RHD) that had gone which has a straight connector. I couldn't find one anywhere but after reading your post I decided to try one of the right angled ones instead - bought 3, yes 3 fully functional for 99p (about 75 cents US)!

They are a tad fiddly to remove but the previous post with parts diagram was very helpful and once I'd figured the maneuver it only took a minute or so - but they are tight.

The connector is a straight swap so plugged new unit in before install - ignition on - reverse gear -warning alarm gone (actually made intermittent beep probably because 1 sensor was dangling down) and all 4 sensors "ticking" Sorted! Not quite

The right angled connector fouls a plastic panel inside the bumper (hence the straight one as standard) and would not go through the hole! The solution was to trim away a channel in the plastic with my handy dandy modeling drill. It needed approaching from both behind the bumper and via the sensor hole. The wiring harness also needs freeing from it's cable ties to give more free play. Anyway, after removing about a 3 x3 inch bit of plastic (totally hidden from view) the right-angled sensor fitted a treat Wiring harness tidied up and secured with new cable ties.

Ignition on - reverse gear - no alarm! Silent. I assume the unit has now reset itself as all 4 sensors are ticking. I've not tried it out in anger by reversing as it started to rain just after finishing the job but I'm pretty hopeful all is well.

Reckon i've saved myself mucho denaro thanks to Jaguar Forum members posts.

Steve

Last edited by worrasf; 08-31-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:28 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by worrasf
The right angled connector fouls a plastic panel inside the bumper (hence the straight one as standard) and would not go through the hole! The solution was to trim away a channel in the plastic with my handy dandy modeling drill. It needed approaching from both behind the bumper and via the sensor hole. The wiring harness also needs freeing from it's cable ties to give more free play. Anyway, after removing about a 3 x3 inch bit of plastic (totally hidden from view) the right-angled sensor fitted a treat Wiring harness tidied up and secured with new cable ties.

Ignition on - reverse gear - no alarm! Silent. I assume the unit has now reset itself as all 4 sensors are ticking. I've not tried it out in anger by reversing as it started to rain just after finishing the job but I'm pretty hopeful all is well.

Reckon i've saved myself mucho denaro thanks to Jaguar Forum members posts.

Steve
Howdy Steve:
I did not do any whittling on mine, but I do remember it as being a puzzle in close quarter manipulation. It seems like I used a spark plug socket on the tip of my finger at one time and maybe I plugged the connector in AFTER I put the sensor all the way thru the access hole. Sorry that I did not document it better when my memory was fresh. At any rate, I would be interested in seeing a photo of the materials that you whittled. Mine is still working fine. If I need another sometime, I would be glad to pay you 4X what you paid.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:38 AM

Howdy Steve:
I did not do any whittling on mine, but I do remember it as being a puzzle in close quarter manipulation. It seems like I used a spark plug socket on the tip of my finger at one time and maybe I plugged the connector in AFTER I put the sensor all the way thru the access hole. Sorry that I did not document it better when my memory was fresh. At any rate, I would be interested in seeing a photo of the materials that you whittled. Mine is still working fine. If I need another sometime, I would be glad to pay you 4X what you paid.
I wonder if the one you replaced was the other centre sensor? On my car the off side centre sensor has a gap in the plastic bumper strengthener that isn't present on the other side - weird and if it was this sensor that had gone on mine then the right angled one would have fit without needing to remove any plastic - I guess there are many variants.

Steve

Old 08-31-2013, 08:53 AM

I wonder if the one you replaced was the other centre sensor? On my car the off side centre sensor has a gap in the plastic bumper strengthener that isn't present on the other side - weird and if it was this sensor that had gone on mine then the right angled one would have fit without needing to remove any plastic - I guess there are many variants.

Steve
Mine is LHD and I replaced the right center one. Maybe Monday I can look up under mine, now that you have me curious.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:09 AM

Mine is LHD and I replaced the right center one. Maybe Monday I can look up under mine, now that you have me curious.
Yep - if your bumper is the same as mine there will be a gap in the plastic strengthener next to the sensor hole on the RH centre one but not on the LH

Old 08-31-2013, 08:57 PM

Yep - if your bumper is the same as mine there will be a gap in the plastic strengthener next to the sensor hole on the RH centre one but not on the LH
I just checked mine and found no plastic strengthener at all. Either it has been removed or it never was installed (I did not see any evidence of removal). I will edit my original post to reflect this possibility.
Thanks for pointing this out.

Last edited by Dr. D; 09-01-2013 at 04:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-20-2017, 01:07 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Do you need to remove the bumper to swap out one of the inner sensors?

Old 05-21-2017, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cabel
Do you need to remove the bumper to swap out one of the inner sensors?
Seeing that yours is also a 2002 XKR, there is a good chance that you won't, but you will need to determine if you have access holes (although not easy access) for the inner sensors. I did mine almost 4 years ago and still have had no problems since including the right angle sensor that I put on the right inner.