XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking up 05 XKR conv. on Monday

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 04:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Picking up 05 XKR conv. on Monday

Hello all, Im trading in my 05 XJ VDP for an 05 XKR convertible with about 63K on the clock. Really excited but I've never owned a Jaguar convertible before. Wondering if you guys can provide insight on any chronic problems or issues that I should be aware of or expect on the 05MY XKR convertible. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-24-2016, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,323 Likes on 735 Posts

Chris, you are in for a real treat. Lovely car and other than some top hydraulic problems and maybe the ZF transmission acting up, you should be good to go. Check the treads on shocks and Gus has a great site explaining the top stuff.
Good luck, Wayne

Old 03-24-2016, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Welcome to the XK8 world. You will love it.
You will have an 05 so no issue with timing chain problems of pre 03 models.
While low miles are always good, seems with a Jag XK8 it does not always mean a problem free car. Problems most seen, cooling system hoses, tstat housing, WP, perhaps a car with a older battery as you will find out if you read threads here on these cars as you SHOULD a weak battery while will start the car just fine and run, there are many components on these cars that need a good healthy battery to run them. Unless you have maint history on the car that shows the battery is new, go get it load tested, anything below 12.5 I think it is, is low and you run a slight risk of the car doing stupid stuff, most common being the windows don't hold there settings. Maybe fault code messages from the car that don't make sense.
Front suspensions are a weak point on these. Upper and lower shock bushing seem weak and don't last long. Sign of a bad upper shock bushing it looking at the top of the shock towers in the motor, any orange stuff flaked off and sitting up there, that is not good and sign of a mount going bad. Once these go the car sits lower and tire wear will change for the worse.
Read up on the forums, look at the sticky threads, lots of info there.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:04 AM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

Chris, I am envious. Love my XK8, but I might love her even more if she were an R. I bought my 2005 in November 2012 with about 55K on her. She has never let me down. All I have done in more than 50,000 miles has been to replace some front suspension bushes, get the transmission fluid changed, replace the t-stat tower and sort out a "green shower" problem. Otherwise, it's needed nothing but oil, new brakes and some TLC. I know she is now sorta middle-aged and will soon start needing more attention, especially to the cooling system. But given the three years of absolute pleasure she has given me, she is well deserving. Every time I get in her, I am amazed that I am the caretaker of such a magnificent machine. I do feel sorry for anyone with a lesser vehicle, which includes almost everyone! Just be careful who you engage in stoplight races. Very embarrassing to get whipped by a Subaru WRX or some other sleeper. Even 400 hp is not enough these days. Besides, street racing is beneath a Jaaaag!

Old 03-25-2016, 01:32 PM
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

What color is your new Jag? I have the same year and model, just turned 60K miles. In the past year I have had several issues, will try and summarize here so perhaps you can check yours for similar.

Driver's side rear window regulator replaced
Motor Mounts replaced (this seems to be fairly common)
Front lower control arm bushings replaced
Driver's side rear hub and bearing replaced
Windscreen washer "T" valve replaced
Front brake rotors replaced

Issues to be repaired:

Brake/adaptive cruise switch
Center dash light out
Steering column tilt does not work

All of that said, as you will experience, you are basically still getting a $90,000.00 car for likely 1/4th to 1/6th the original cost. Every time I look at mine, let alone drive it, I have no regrets regarding the maintenance costs, as it looks and feels like a $90K dream. Congrats on your purchase!

Last edited by theweeb; 03-25-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It;s silver with dove interior. Thank you for the helpful insight! I'm looking forward to it!