XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor remote door mirror function

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 12:02 AM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Poor remote door mirror function

After looking through many search results, I'm not any closer to an answer, so guess I'll just bite the bullet and start a thread...

MY 2000 XKR convertible has problems with rear view mirror movement, ever since I've had it (only 6 months or so). At that point, I had nothing from the door joystick switch. I've worked with the switch, cleaned the gazillion tiny parts within, cleaned the switch wiring plug. At this point the passenger side moves out or up fine, but not down or in...drivers side moves in or up fine but not down or out.

I'm thinking I need a new switch, but would like to hear other opinions.

Last edited by Burnham; 01-07-2016 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Is there a way to check switch contact continuity for the 2 inoperative directions? It may be a resistor loaded circuit like the tilt switch which would be harder to test, but it may prove the switch for you.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:51 PM

Perhaps so...this may take someone smarter than me to do .

Old 01-08-2016, 10:47 PM

No one else has any input? Pooh.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

The wiring diagram is reasonably self explanatory. You need to study Page 11.2 of this link

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxk2000.pdf

That will guide you as to where to check for continuity in the different switch positions

You need to note that the explanatory notes for each page are held together early on in the document and the actual diagrams come later.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:54 PM

Thank you...I shall study.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Hi I quite understand your problem. But your not very clear. You say you have a rear view mirror problem? Which one? There are three. When you say problem do you mean they wont move? Move slowly? Dont retain memory? I assume as your using the Joystick you mean either the right one, as your sitting in the car, or the left one?

I too had problems with my Left mirror it would not return from dip automatically. Do you have electrochromatic glass?

Old 01-10-2016, 12:12 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Burnham,

Check out this thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...control-63646/ especially the last post by me. I had the same issue (mirrors would go up and out, but not down and in) and found the problem to be a burned trace on the switch's printed circuit board. I was able to solder a copper "jumper wire" around the burned trace.

Good luck!

Old 01-16-2016, 06:16 PM

fdbrock, my issue is different than yours. Let me be a little more explicit (I didn't make this point directly in my op because I didn't want to direct any one's analysis)...the mirror joystick works when tilted left or down, but not if tilted right or up, no matter which door mirror the selector toggle is selected for. This translates into the movements and lack thereof I listed in my op.

frankc, I mean the external door mirrors, and I mean they don't respond at all to the joystick movement in two of the four directions available. See above for specifics.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:26 AM

Burnham, what I experienced (mirrors moving only two of four directions available by moving joy-stick, regardless of which mirror is selected), is exactly what you have going on. I don't think it matters that yours only move left and down and mine were up and right. I still believe your solution lies in taking the switch apart (as described in the thread I linked to) and examining the printed circuit board for a burned, or otherwise damaged, trace. Jumpering around the damaged trace I found on my switch's PCB, is what corrected my issue. Now both my mirrors operate properly from the joy-stick control. Good luck!

Old 01-17-2016, 01:32 PM

If both of your mirrors would go up and out, as your post says, then that is not what mine do. For both to go out, the joystick has to function in both left tilt and right tilt movement. Mine does not do that, only works to the left movement.

But I appreciate your post and time, and will take another look at the circuit board.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Seems the common denominator is the joystick as the same problem occurs in each mirror. Time to take the joystick apart and have a look.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:03 PM

Sorry Burnham, my mistake in my description of my problem in my first response to you. I think I stated my problem correctly in my most recent response to you. Both of my mirrors would move up and right (not up and out as I had originally stated). Again, the problem was a damaged trace on the PCB.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:17 PM

Okie dokie fdbrock, understood.

jimbov8...agreed, but the whole experience of disassembly and reassembly the first time was so fraught with difficulties that I'm a bit shy to go at it again. But I did succeed then, at least in getting things back to where they were beforehand, so I'll just have to screw up my courage .

Old 01-17-2016, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Good man, that's the way we learn and get better.