XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power connection

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 06:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation power connection

hello jag fans, I am trying to install some extra dash lighting to my XK and need to know if there is an accsessories power connection somewhere behind the center instrument cluster. Ideally a connection that turns the power on when the dash lights come on. an other thing that has been bothering me is that I get the air bag icon flashing every now and than on the driver instrument cluster anyone know the cause of that. Thanks in advance

Old 09-02-2012, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Hi Charlie,
Not sure about the dash lights but for the air bag light, first you need to determine the flash code. There will be a set of flashes followed by a pause and then a second set of flashes. The number of flashes will give you a code, ie 2 flashes, pause, 2 flashes equates to flash code 2:2. This will then give you a place to start. Count them up next time and us know.

Hope this helps a little.
By the way, fantastic country you live in.

The following users liked this post:
Charlie Galea (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Galea
hello jag fans, I am trying to install some extra dash lighting to my XK and need to know if there is an accsessories power connection somewhere behind the center instrument cluster. Ideally a connection that turns the power on when the dash lights come on. an other thing that has been bothering me is that I get the air bag icon flashing every now and than on the driver instrument cluster anyone know the cause of that. Thanks in advance

There is an unused accessory three-position connector behind the glove box with ground, battery and switched 12 volts that goes on with the ignition. You need to add the relay in the missing position in the boot fusebox to activate the switched 12 volt line.

I do not recommend adding extra loads to the dimmer circuit that lights the dash...it may overload the electronic dimmer control.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 09-02-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Charlie Galea (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 04:50 PM

thanks will count and than inform you and thanks for the compliment. the island is small but nice and friendly come vist sometime

Old 09-04-2012, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by jimbov8
Hi Charlie,
Not sure about the dash lights but for the air bag light, first you need to determine the flash code. There will be a set of flashes followed by a pause and then a second set of flashes. The number of flashes will give you a code, ie 2 flashes, pause, 2 flashes equates to flash code 2:2. This will then give you a place to start. Count them up next time and us know.

Hope this helps a little.
By the way, fantastic country you live in.
I seem to be getting 2 flashes followed by 5 flashes by the air bag ico does that make any sense???

Old 09-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Charlie,
My code sheet does not have that code, however, I had the same code when I had my passenger seat out of the car.

I would start by removing the seat- 4 bolts- and then unplugging all the connectors and then reconnecting them. At the same time, check the wiring harness under the seat for signs of wear.

Also check the tiny switches on the seat are all functioning and lined up correctly.

While you are at it, you could do the drivers seat also, it wouldn't hurt.

It will take a couple of hours but you will learn a bit more about the seats.

Perhaps some of the very clever guys here may have more info to help you.

PS. I visited Malta many times whilst in the Royal Navy and enjoyed every minute, the people are extremely friendly and always made us welcome.
Hope this helps.

Charlie Galea (09-04-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
There is an unused accessory three-position connector behind the glove box with ground, battery and switched 12 volts that goes on with the ignition. You need to add the relay in the missing position in the boot fusebox to activate the switched 12 volt line.

I do not recommend adding extra loads to the dimmer circuit that lights the dash...it may overload the electronic dimmer control.
Found the connector and all works perfectly now got nice soft dash backlighting with macting footwell lights thanks

Old 09-06-2012, 12:29 PM

Hi Charlie,
My code sheet does not have that code, however, I had the same code when I had my passenger seat out of the car.

I would start by removing the seat- 4 bolts- and then unplugging all the connectors and then reconnecting them. At the same time, check the wiring harness under the seat for signs of wear.

Also check the tiny switches on the seat are all functioning and lined up correctly.

While you are at it, you could do the drivers seat also, it wouldn't hurt.

It will take a couple of hours but you will learn a bit more about the seats.

Perhaps some of the very clever guys here may have more info to help you.

PS. I visited Malta many times whilst in the Royal Navy and enjoyed every minute, the people are extremely friendly and always made us welcome.
Hope this helps.
It seems i have made a mistake with the flash count, its 5 flashes followed by an other 2

Old 09-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Charlie,
The code 5:2 refers to the passenger seat safety buckle switch. You will need the Jaguar specific code to narrow it down further as to whether it is grounded, open or short circuit, or a resistance problem.

You could try some contact cleaner aswell as checking the wiring as it may just be a loose connection block.

Should you need to replace it, the item will cost around £95 uk unless you can find one elsewhere.(Don't ask how I know)

Hope this gets you a bit further.

Charlie Galea (09-06-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 04:52 PM

Hi Charlie,
The code 5:2 refers to the passenger seat safety buckle switch. You will need the Jaguar specific code to narrow it down further as to whether it is grounded, open or short circuit, or a resistance problem.

You could try some contact cleaner aswell as checking the wiring as it may just be a loose connection block.

Should you need to replace it, the item will cost around £95 uk unless you can find one elsewhere.(Don't ask how I know)

Hope this gets you a bit further.
Thanks Jim and sorry for being a dumb *** for asking this question, its the actual seat buckle I should be looking at right?

Old 09-06-2012, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Galea
Thanks Jim and sorry for being a dumb *** for asking this question, its the actual seat buckle I should be looking at right?
Hi again Jim I posted a tread about my dash board lights staying on do you have any idea of how I can fix it as well by any chance? I will owe you more than one beer if you have some advice on this gremlin. its got me stumped
Thanks

Old 09-07-2012, 03:13 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Charlie,
The seatbelt buckle is what you should be looking at for your code, the switch is inside. I don't think you will be able to get it apart but a good bit of fiddling with wiring and little bit of contact cleaner may just do it. If not, it will probably need replacing.

For the dash lights, sounds like something is stuck on. I'll have a look at the drawings and see if I can narrow it down for you.

All the best,

Charlie Galea (09-07-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 04:10 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Charlie,
From what you describe, have a look at the dimmer module located in the fascia/adjacent to the RH fuse box. For the dimmer to work on one section and not the other may indicate a problem within the module.

Hope this helps,

Charlie Galea (09-07-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 06:14 AM

hi Jim have tried the contact cleaner on the buckle but still have the bloody thing flashing. as for the dash lights, I disconnected the module but only the center console lights went off so maybe its something else. The dash lights only go out when I remove the instrument 5A fuse at the bottom of the driver side fuse box but when I do that the main cluster instruments go haywire so I think I should not be doing that

Old 09-07-2012, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Charlie,
If you have also checked the wiring under the seat then it may require a new seatbelt buckle to clear that fault.

Have the dash lights been like this for sometime or did it start when you found the spare connector for your extra lights.

We may need to enlist the help of some of the very good electronic gurus on this forum to get to the bottom of this one.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:46 AM

no funny enough it started to stay on at about the same time the airbag light came could be a coinsidence. how do you think i should go about soliciting the great gurus

Old 09-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Charlie,
Could be a grounding fault or seat module. As for the great electronic gurus, just shout HELP!!!! and refer to this thread. I certainly would be interested in what they may come up with.

The more ideas, the better the chance of tracking it down.

Charlie Galea (09-08-2012)