XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Hose Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Hose Leak

Hello all! Newbie here with a 98 XK8. I did do a search for this and couldn't find anything. I have a small drip leak at the junction of the two hoses on the power steering line. I tried to attach a diagram but it's not working. The junction connects the "power steering oil cooler assembly" (MJA8084AB) and the "hose" (MJA3999AC). Not sure if I need to order a new line or if I can just throw a barrel clamp on there as a cheap fix. Just replaced the sway bar bushings and it's dripping perfectly on the new one (go figure). Thanks for any help you can provide!!

Old 06-03-2015, 09:13 PM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

If it is leaking on the passenger side (U.S. models) under the air filter box area, there is an inexpensive, do it yourself, reliable fix mentioned several times on the forum. Sear for "brass fitting power steering" and you will find some. I'm going on 3 years with zero leaks since I fixed mine. It involves cutting off the coupler (I used a very small pipe cutter on the metal side, and a small haxsaw blade on the hose) and using a barbed brass fitting pushed and clamped in the hose end and a short rubber hose to the other end of the brass fitting and the other end of that hose sliding over the cut metal tube with clamps. There are photos and a write up on the forum somewhere. It s a $5 fix. Replacing the o-rings in the factory coupler has not worked for forum members who have tried it.

The following users liked this post:
Fetti (06-04-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 10:33 PM

Thank you very much, Steve! I'm gonna get underneath the car in the next couple of days and try to post a pic to confirm the correct parts for the fix. I found the link but the listing has me a bit confused on the exact parts required for this specific solution. I get the 3/8 inch barbed brass fitting. Not sure if I need one piece of 3/8 inch hose to connect the brass fitting to the metal tube or do I need the 5/8 heat hose to go over all of this. Hope that's not confusing but that's what I see here: Jaguar Picture by daddyo007 | 2660293 | JaguarForums.com

Old 06-04-2015, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Fetti
Thank you very much, Steve! I'm gonna get underneath the car in the next couple of days and try to post a pic to confirm the correct parts for the fix. I found the link but the listing has me a bit confused on the exact parts required for this specific solution. I get the 3/8 inch barbed brass fitting. Not sure if I need one piece of 3/8 inch hose to connect the brass fitting to the metal tube or do I need the 5/8 heat hose to go over all of this. Hope that's not confusing but that's what I see here: Jaguar Picture by daddyo007 | 2660293 | JaguarForums.com
From what I surmise in that photo and the comments below it, I think he used the brass barbed, then, as extra insurance, slipped the larger hose over THAT, and clamped it on both sides, as extra insurance. In my opinion, there is no reason as all to do that. All I did, and others on the forum have done, is as I said, cut the factory coupler off as close to it as possible using a pipe cutter tool. New rubber hose will fit over the metal pipe end, clamp it. On the other end of your new rubber hose now attached to the metal pipe, stick the brass fitting in, clamp it. Now clean up the factory hose end with a hacksaw blade, then stick the barbed end of the brass fitting into this, clamp it. Done.

The following users liked this post:
Fetti (06-04-2015)
Old 06-04-2015, 08:32 PM

Thank you again, Steve! Is this the kind of fitting I need?
http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...05445976lg.jpg

Old 06-04-2015, 09:16 PM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

Kind of interesting that I stumbled onto this just now! A few months ago I "fixed" a customer car by installing new orings. It was looking pretty good for awhile. Now the leak has returned, and this time it's at the crimp on the plastic connector. I ordered a new hose and cooler assembly. About $230, if memory serves. Now I read about an inexpensive fix that members have come up with! You guys have seen it all...

Old 06-05-2015, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Fetti
Thank you again, Steve! Is this the kind of fitting I need?
http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...05445976lg.jpg
Exactly

Old 06-05-2015, 02:00 PM

Did the job today and works great so far. Need to get some miles on it just to be sure though but I'm confident it will hold up better than the OEM connection.
A tip for anyone attempting this job... plan on changing your oil at the same. This process is a lot easier with the oil filter removed.