XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Window Issue XK8 Convert

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 09:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Power Window Issue XK8 Convert

2003 XK8 Convert. The power window lowers as it should when you open the handle (from the inside or outside) on the drivers side but when you release the handle the window goes right back up. It does not stay down until I close the door like it should. This sounds like some sort of switch going bad but I could be wrong. Oh and I did "reset the windows" just to make sure. The passenger side is fine.

Thoughts?

Old 03-29-2019, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,416 Likes on 754 Posts
Default Probably the microswitch in the door latch is bouncing

Check the door latch microswitch. You’ll need to get to latch and removing the door card is easy

Old 03-29-2019, 09:49 AM

Any idea on where to obtain a latch? I hear they are no longer available? I've never changed something like that -- anyone have some guidance?

Old 03-29-2019, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Exact same issue now on my wife's 2006 XK8 except it is the passenger side. This began happening after Wayne (cjd777) and I replaced the passenger door latch microswitch immediately after replacing the drivers door latch microswitch back in early February. We replaced both of those microswitches in an effort to resolve an intermittent door lock / unlock problem that had been randomly occurring since last July. Might be due to the new microswitch on the passenger side being faulty out of the box even though it passed continuity tests before we installed it. Might be due to us not getting the metal arm angle on the first new microswitch quite right even though we made multiple attempts to do so. I ordered another new microswitch for the passenger side and we will replace it again, hopefully within the next week or two if our schedules permit (we live 120 miles apart). I will report back with our results after we get together and do that job. My original thread pertaining to this issue is entitled "Drivers Door Handle / Door Lock Problem". There is quite a bit of information in that thread so you may benefit by reading it....

FYI, I ordered my new microswitches from mouser.com. Their part number is 653-D2SW-3L3MS. Other owners have reported success with these same microswitches, the one we installed in the drivers side door latch assembly works perfectly, so I hope another new one in the passenger side door latch assembly will finally fix my issues....

Old 03-29-2019, 09:57 AM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

Have you tried any of our forum sponsors - SNG Barratts, JAGBITS, Coventry West for parts? If they do not there is always Jaguar Classic Parts that may be able to assist or do a search for used parts - dodge_boy_1 is parting out an XK8 in the forum market place - check with him

Old 03-29-2019, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Unlikely that you need an entire new latch assembly. Much more likely that you need just a new microswitch....

Old 03-29-2019, 10:08 AM

Thank you everyone for being so kind. I bought this car as dream but I feel like it is becoming nightmare
I'm already learning to live w/that manual top release after my green shower and now this.
My seat head rests don't work and I'm sure there are other things out there as well.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:19 AM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

only a nightmare if you let it become a nightmare. Everything is fixable and you already have the best tool around to help you - this forum!!!

Check the stickies at the top of this section for a ton of info - including how to fix the head rests.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,416 Likes on 754 Posts
Default Just keep on top of problems and the XK8 will deliver

Chill! It’s a classic grand tourer and delivers a lovely punchy comfortable drive

Like any beautiful thing, it needs love, care and attention. Just don’t let little problems get big!

Microswitches in the door latch.... chill! It’s fixable

Old 03-29-2019, 12:34 PM

Hey Jon,

Thanks for the update. Just curious. I watched a video where I had to take the door panel off, remove the entire latch assembly, etc....I am assuming this is the process you followed to fix your microswitch?

Old 03-30-2019, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member

Yes indeed. There are two videos by Reverend Sam that you should view. One on how to remove the door card, and one on how to remove the door latch assembly. These videos can be located in the sticky threads at the top of the XK8 section. There are other tips provided by various members who have also done this job. Clicking on the various links posted in my "Drivers Door Handle / Door Lock Problem" thread will reveal these tips. Good luck and keep us posted....

The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 12:12 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the same problem. Did replacing the door latch microswitch fix the problem for you?

Old 09-11-2019, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

It did for me....

DavidYau (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 12:44 PM

Awesome, thanks! Then I'm off to do the same & will return to post an update later.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,323 Likes on 735 Posts

Just to save some frustration. It may not be a first try results. The bend to ride on the handle cam is more than get it close. A couple of tries would be normal.
In reading Jon's write up, be careful with the pop on connections, (plastic) and difficult to install back on the knob. Taking the latch out works better if you turn it around and bring it out backwards.

The window in the right position, almost at the top will make getting the rear channel easy to snap in place, pay attention to the cut out in the channel, it goes over a bolt, if I remember rightly.

Have fun and take your time, don't install the card until it works, just set everything in place to try it.

Jon89 (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 01:19 PM

Thank you for the tips! Using your notes & Sam's videos (Sam is GREAT!), I expect that I'll get to where I need to be for this repair. Provided I can find the part .

Old 09-11-2019, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member

Wayne (cjd777) and I installed the Omron D2SW-3L3MS microswitch. I ordered them online from www.mouser.com. As he indicated above, getting that new microswitch's metal arm bend / shape just right can take several attempts (it is more art than science and having two very small pairs of needlenose pliers will help - use the old microswitch as a template once you have removed it from the assembly). Order at least a couple of new microswitches because sooner or later you will be replacing them in both doors. The drivers door latch assembly microswitch usually wears out first because the drivers door gets far more use than the passenger door does for most cars....

cjd777 (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 01:50 PM

Wow - thank you! I just ordered two & would never have been able to identify that part on my own. $21 for both, including tax & delivery.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:16 AM

My original XK8 problem was the same as Sam. Pull on handle, window comes down slightly (as it should). Release handle (inside or outside) & window immediately goes back up.

Omron D2SW-3L3MS switch (replacing the one that Gus identifies in his pictures): cut & insulated blue (in center), connected black to black & red to green. Bent the metal end of the switch similar to my original until multimeter result below.

Multimeter continuity test, moving door latch by hand. Fully open & mid point - beep. Door fully closed - no beep.

Test after plugging in unit: pull on handle, window comes down a little (as it should). Release handle, it stays there (as it should, but wasn't, before the repair). Manually moved the door latch to fully closed. Nothing. Window is not going back up as it should???

Not sure what else to do? These are the only connectors that I have done anything with.

Also noticing now that when I restore power, the back windows want to now come down? I can put them up & they'll stay, so I'm hoping that this will correct in the end when I reprogram the windows.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:32 AM

Please disregard my last post. I re-installed my rail & re-programmed my windows. It's working fine now. Hopefully it will continue to do so once I get it all put back together.

DavidYau (09-15-2019)

Quick Reply: Power Window Issue XK8 Convert