XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

As promised feedback on Continental Extreme Contact

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default As promised feedback on Continental Extreme Contact

Friends, I bought a pair of contime talking extreme contact tires to replace the pirelli pzeros I've had on the car since I bought her. Performance is right up there with the pzero. The price was almost $100 less per Tire. Here's the reason I'm posting this. Today it is 18 degrees in NJ. Even I put the top up in that. I just took my 1st ride, top closed, 60+ mph. Bad news, these tires are really noisy! I was surprised to hear the difference just 10 mph slower, much quieter.

Let me put it this way, if I knew how loud these are, I would have bought the pirelli again, despite the price and longevity.

Well I hope this feedback helps you down the road. Guess I'll have to ride with the top down even more (you don't notice it then) if that's possible, but it'll probably cost me another fur to keep my passenger warm😊

John

The following 4 users liked this post by Johnken:
cjd777 (01-09-2017), Panthro (02-08-2017), sklimii (01-09-2017), StuG (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 07:52 PM
Received 177 Likes on 92 Posts

I have Conti Extreme Contacts DWs on my 1998 Mustang Saleen and I like them a lot. All I can say is they were a big improvement over the Goodyear Eagle F1S. They really stick to the road even when I push them and I haven't really noticed them being loud. However, tires act different on different models. But thanks for the heads up.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Thanks, Johnken. I have DW's on my '13 Mustang GT and was considering them for my XK8. Handling and wear seem pretty good. My mustang has axle back exhaust so I can't hear the tires.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,392 Likes on 2,868 Posts

I continue to like the Yokohama YK580 tires that we've been running on my wife's 2006 XK8 since mid-2012. Quiet, great wet-weather grip, and much better-than expected treadwear longevity on this car. She typically gets about 48,000 miles on the fronts (245/40R19) at 32 psi and about 34,000 miles on the rears (255/40R19) at 29 psi. These are available only at Discount Tire and are very reasonably priced compared to Michelin or Pirelli. I plan to stick with them as long as we own this car (assuming they are not eventually discontinued since tire models tend to come and go)....

The following 2 users liked this post by Jon89:
Jag#4 (01-11-2017), Johnken (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
I continue to like the Yokohama YK580 tires that we've been running on my wife's 2006 XK8 since mid-2012. Quiet, great wet-weather grip, and much better-than expected treadwear longevity on this car. She typically gets about 48,000 miles on the fronts (245/40R19) at 32 psi and about 34,000 miles on the rears (255/40R19) at 29 psi. These are available only at Discount Tire and are very reasonably priced compared to Michelin or Pirelli. I plan to stick with them as long as we own this car (assuming they are not eventually discontinued since tire models tend to come and go)....
I have these on my XJR and like them well enough.

I am about done with a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports on my XKR; 36k miles on them and they're getting to replacement. Definitely satisfied with rain and dry performance for GT use. Good price too; I paid about $700 installed for the set of 4 of them 5 years ago at Discount Tire.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:52 AM
hm1
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnken
Friends, I bought a pair of contime talking extreme contact tires to replace the pirelli pzeros I've had on the car since I bought her. Performance is right up there with the pzero. The price was almost $100 less per Tire. Here's the reason I'm posting this. Today it is 18 degrees in NJ. Even I put the top up in that. I just took my 1st ride, top closed, 60+ mph. Bad news, these tires are really noisy! I was surprised to hear the difference just 10 mph slower, much quieter.

Let me put it this way, if I knew how loud these are, I would have bought the pirelli again, despite the price and longevity.

Well I hope this feedback helps you down the road. Guess I'll have to ride with the top down even more (you don't notice it then) if that's possible, but it'll probably cost me another fur to keep my passenger warm😊

John
These are actually one of the best tires on the market, your description doesn't make any sense. I've personally used these tires on Xk8's, none better.

Include more in depth details about your review. Was there snow, ice, gravel? How's your suspension, is it worn? How did you measure sound?

Old 01-10-2017, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Hm1,

I was traveling at speeds above 60 mph, roof closed, radio low or off, on the highway. Roads were clear, though we had snow recently. If salt/brine residue increases tire noise that could explain it but I doubt that.

The tire drone was annoying, I never experienced that before with the Pzeros. Definitly speed dependant, below 55-60 it isn't too bad. I didn't say the tires were bad, I said they were unexpectedly loud.

Price, performance, longevity, I'm sure they are truely some of the best. It is just the noise that bothered me.

Frankly if I knew this 2 weeks ago, I'd have spent the extra $75 per tire and gotten the Pirellis. My only complaint about them is the price and longevity.

Friend this is my experience, my opinion. Use it if you choose it. Hey don't forget I just spent $500 on them, believe me I wish they were perfect.

John

Old 01-10-2017, 06:04 PM
hm1
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnken
Hm1,

I was traveling at speeds above 60 mph, roof closed, radio low or off, on the highway. Roads were clear, though we had snow recently. If salt/brine residue increases tire noise that could explain it but I doubt that.

The tire drone was annoying, I never experienced that before with the Pzeros. Definitly speed dependant, below 55-60 it isn't too bad. I didn't say the tires were bad, I said they were unexpectedly loud.

Price, performance, longevity, I'm sure they are truely some of the best. It is just the noise that bothered me.

Frankly if I knew this 2 weeks ago, I'd have spent the extra $75 per tire and gotten the Pirellis. My only complaint about them is the price and longevity.

Friend this is my experience, my opinion. Use it if you choose it. Hey don't forget I just spent $500 on them, believe me I wish they were perfect.

John
The Pzeros are towards the extreme performance side, much sharper edged. The don't last as long. The continentals are towards the comfort side, that's why they're so smooth in every online test.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 669 Likes on 452 Posts

The best tyre I've used so far on any car is a Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Ran them both on my profile pic car and my Audi A6 quattro and both lasted 25k miles, have never driven a car so confidently.

Come summer I'll be trying Michy PS4's as they've also got superb reviews.

I've always steered away (see what I did there?) from Pirelli's as just find that they wear too quickly, also I do change to winter tyres Dec-March when temps are regularly below 10 degrees C

Old 01-11-2017, 01:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

The Michelin PSS where the best for me overall even and nothing came close to them when it comes to grip (of which I can't have enough ;-)). Am looking forward now to the new PS4S (successor for the PSS) which that will be introduced soon now, timing wise perfect as I need a new set in spring.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 692 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
I'm on my 2nd set of YK580's and agree they work well with the blue cat.

Be aware they are already in the process of changing over to a new version of the tire. The ones I saw in the showroom had better mileage numbers, but lower performance expectations. Might want to check this out before they run out of the current version.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,392 Likes on 2,868 Posts

Mike,

Thanks for the advice but it will be awhile before my wife's XK8 needs new tires. She's put about 9,000 miles on her current front tires and about 12,000 miles on her current rear tires. She's only doing about 10,000 miles per year in that car now, so I'll just wait until it's nearly time for new rear tires before I have a look at what's available. Decades ago I would buy tires on sale and stockpile them wrapped in plastic in my crawlspace until I needed them, but that plan was not good for the tires because they continue to age whether or not they are mounted on the vehicle. That taught me to always purchase new rubber....

Last edited by Jon89; 01-12-2017 at 08:14 AM.