Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quarter window problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quarter window problem

So my car is acting a bit funky today.
When I got out at work, I couldnt pop the trunk with the fob, I had to put the key in to open it.
Also the lock button on the key fob wouldn't do anything. No noise, no blink, no locked doors.
Then this afternoon I tried to put the top down, and the rear quarter windows went down, but the top wont do anything. no noise, nothing.
Now the rear windows wont go up!

I've jumped the quarter window relay in the past when i had a bad hydraulic hose, but I'll be damned if I can find out which pins to jump now!

Any ideas on whay is going on with my XK8?

Oh, and while driving this afternoon, the dash says "drivers door open", when it most certainly isn't.

Getting a little crazy here!

Old 05-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by kench
When I got out at work, I couldnt pop the trunk with the fob, I had to put the key in to open it.
Also the lock button on the key fob wouldn't do anything. No noise, no blink, no locked doors.
Then this afternoon I tried to put the top down, and the rear quarter windows went down, but the top wont do anything. no noise, nothing.

I've jumped the quarter window relay in the past when i had a bad hydraulic hose, but I'll be damned if I can find out which pins to jump now!

Oh, and while driving this afternoon, the dash says "drivers door open", when it most certainly isn't.

Lots of crazy electrical problems often point to a bad battery. Get it checked for free at any auto parts chain.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:01 PM
Default A new issue!!!

In addition to original post, I had a heck of a time getting the car out of park!
Yes, brake lights were working.

I got the battery load tested at a local chain. Came back good, but he said it needed a charge. I had just driven 30 miles, so I'm thinking why did it need a charge? Is the alt going weak? I'll get that tested next.

I noticed the battery had a couple wet drops (acid?) on it, and had a lot of yellow powder on the exterior of the battery and all over the battery compartment. What's up with that?

Checked the water level in the battery, and that is good too.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

In addition to original post, I had a heck of a time getting the car out of park!
Yes, brake lights were working.

I got the battery load tested at a local chain. Came back good, but he said it needed a charge. I had just driven 30 miles, so I'm thinking why did it need a charge? Is the alt going weak? I'll get that tested next.

I noticed the battery had a couple wet drops (acid?) on it, and had a lot of yellow powder on the exterior of the battery and all over the battery compartment. What's up with that?

Checked the water level in the battery, and that is good too.
Consider changing the battery. It sounds like the battery case may have a crack from the evidence. You could have an intermittent cell that might be missed on the load test. Anything but pristine steady battery power will drive the computer bananas in these cars.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:02 AM

Jump relay pins 3 and 5 with a paperclip to raise rear quarter windows!manually.