XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on removing the roof console

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 02:27 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Question on removing the roof console

Hi All, I am tackling the sagging headliner in my 2002 XKR coupe. I am removing the headliner myself and getting an upholstery shop to do the difficult bit with the re-covering. With the removal so far, I have got to the point of removing the roof console. I know it is held in place by 3 clips and I need to pop off the rear one first but I can't work out how to get the clip off the headliner. I don't want to damage the headliner base or the roof console so I am going carefully. Has anyone got a close up photo of the clip so I can see how to pop it off? Is it the same for the 2 clips towards the middle of the console? Does anyone have any tips on getting the console off without breaking anything? Any help is much appreciated.

As an aside, while I am doing the headliner I am also getting the A pillars and rear parcel shelf recovered, replacing the third brakelight and fixing the headrests but no problems with these matters.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by tassiejag
Hi All, I am tackling the sagging headliner in my 2002 XKR coupe. I am removing the headliner myself and getting an upholstery shop to do the difficult bit with the re-covering. With the removal so far, I have got to the point of removing the roof console. I know it is held in place by 3 clips and I need to pop off the rear one first but I can't work out how to get the clip off the headliner. I don't want to damage the headliner base or the roof console so I am going carefully. Has anyone got a close up photo of the clip so I can see how to pop it off? Is it the same for the 2 clips towards the middle of the console? Does anyone have any tips on getting the console off without breaking anything? Any help is much appreciated.

As an aside, while I am doing the headliner I am also getting the A pillars and rear parcel shelf recovered, replacing the third brakelight and fixing the headrests but no problems with these matters.
The rear clip is not exactly the same part as the two in front but it works exactly the same way. I have had mine off several times and l have found finger tips and a reasonable amount of force will get the job done. Make sure to pull away from roof squarely and evenly by working from back for a bit then sides and so on.

The following users liked this post:
tassiejag (08-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 05:40 AM
GGG
Received 16,763 Likes on 12,152 Posts

+1

..... and be careful with the metal spring clips - they have a bite like a rabid dog.

Question on removing the roof console-clip_2.jpg

The 'teeth' on the sides face both inwards (to grip the console - arrowed blue) and outwards (to grip the locating hole - arrowed red).

Graham

tassiejag (08-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 05:32 PM

Thanks Baxtor and Graham. I'll give it a go later today when my hands have warmed up! Only 4 degrees C here this morning.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Here is a Picture of te clip locations in the Homelink Sticky Thread

Pull down gently and the clips should pop out of the slots.

tassiejag (08-06-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 03:42 AM

Thank you all for your advice. I finally got my hands warmed up and pulled the console off. It was VERY tight. Ungn, the photo was very helpful in calming my nerves!