XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for those who have a wind blocker

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 09:07 AM
Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
Question Question for those who have a wind blocker

I have a question for anyone who has a wind blocking device, doesn't matter what model of convertible, or the type and model of wind blocking device.

In regard to the piece that sits more or less parallel to the seats behind the headrests ( made of mesh, Poly carbonate, acrylic )....do you run yours angled back "/",
angled forward, or no angle at all "I" ?
And, if you made an angle adjustment, did you find that the different positions offered different performance..or, did it not really seem to matter much?

Thank you in advance! Any and all insight is sincerely appreciated

Old 11-25-2018, 10:30 AM
Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

I keep the wind blocker angled back when the top is up so it doesn't obscure my rear vision. With the top down, it is completely vertical and, from my personal experience, seems to function best that way. From what I understand, it blocks the rear turbulence which would otherwise be blowing around the front seat passengers. If you travel with a woman in the passenger seat, most of them are more concerned than we are about are hair blowing around, so it does pay (personal) dividends.

The following users liked this post:
dbtk44 (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by max224
I keep the wind blocker angled back when the top is up so it doesn't obscure my rear vision. With the top down, it is completely vertical and, from my personal experience, seems to function best that way. From what I understand, it blocks the rear turbulence which would otherwise be blowing around the front seat passengers. If you travel with a woman in the passenger seat, most of them are more concerned than we are about are hair blowing around, so it does pay (personal) dividends.
Thank you for the info max224, appreciate it! I can definitely see where it would be appreciated by the ladies.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:52 AM
Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Hi.

I keep mine angled slightly back. I think it looks better, and doesn't make any noticeable difference to the vertical position.
What really make a difference is the modification to the rear quarter windows control, so you can get the windows up with the top down.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by oyster
Hi.

I keep mine angled slightly back. I think it looks better, and doesn't make any noticeable difference to the vertical position.
What really make a difference is the modification to the rear quarter windows control, so you can get the windows up with the top down.
Thank you oyster! I have read that the rear window mod makes a pretty dramatic difference

Old 11-26-2018, 08:48 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

When I owned an MG convertible with a wind blocker (wind deflector) it seemed to work best in the vertical position.

Stu

Old 11-29-2018, 03:42 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dbtk44
I have a question for anyone who has a wind blocking device, doesn't matter what model of convertible, or the type and model of wind blocking device.

In regard to the piece that sits more or less parallel to the seats behind the headrests ( made of mesh, Poly carbonate, acrylic )....do you run yours angled back "/",
angled forward, or no angle at all "I" ?
And, if you made an angle adjustment, did you find that the different positions offered different performance..or, did it not really seem to matter much?

Thank you in advance! Any and all insight is sincerely appreciated
We searched for a long time for the "correct" windbreak. One had been fitted from new but was missing when we bought the car. The Boss (She Who Must Be Obeyed) was not best pleased as her hair blew forward!
Once the windbreak was added all was well again, although best performance is with the windows closed.

The best performance is with the main part upright - the top part is angled back. Performance seems to deteriorate with increasing angle to the vertical. Played with it a lot when we first got it (new toy syndrome) but it is left set upright. The roof closes over it without problem.

Mark B

Old 11-29-2018, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by StuG
When I owned an MG convertible with a wind blocker (wind deflector) it seemed to work best in the vertical position.

Stu

Thank you Stu!

Old 11-29-2018, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by SailorSam
We searched for a long time for the "correct" windbreak. One had been fitted from new but was missing when we bought the car. The Boss (She Who Must Be Obeyed) was not best pleased as her hair blew forward!
Once the windbreak was added all was well again, although best performance is with the windows closed.

The best performance is with the main part upright - the top part is angled back. Performance seems to deteriorate with increasing angle to the vertical. Played with it a lot when we first got it (new toy syndrome) but it is left set upright. The roof closes over it without problem.

Mark B
Thank you Mark!
I had to laugh a little when I read "She Who Must Be Obeyed"....because it's so true! My main motivation for seeking info about the wind blockers is, indeed, one of the female persuasion LoL

I believe you just inspired a new acronym...SWMBO

Old 11-30-2018, 04:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Mine is vertical. Never even thought about putting it at an angle. My vision through the deflector is unobscured. Just given me a thought. Its winter here but the sun is out.............. May just go for a top down drive.

Footnote.

For those thinking about getting a wind deflector note that there are two types. One set where you have to drill into the B pillar. The other type where you have to drill into the leather. Worth having though. I do not have any hair, well not much anyway, but I still find it more comfortable. It also stops you getting ear ache, from the woman sitting next to you.

The following users liked this post:
Redline (12-01-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 10:24 AM
Received 243 Likes on 136 Posts

More or less vertical .......mine can be folded flat and I do this when the top is up. When I put the top down I just grab the deflector and pull it up until it hits the included stops....vertical "pretty much "

Old 12-01-2018, 01:34 PM
Received 201 Likes on 103 Posts

I've owned 4 small convertibles over the years and a behind-the-front-seat wind blocker/breaker/screen/deflector is not an option, it's a must-have. My bodacious GF and I have been comfortable in ambient temps down to freezing, (she likes the top down if it's not raining and she really makes the car look good when she's in it, which constitutes 2 votes to my 1...), whether cruising around town or motoring briskly across the nether regions of Nevada. Fully upright, the wind deflector is canted a few degrees forward by design, which helps to channel wind from the rear smoothly up and over our heads, (preventing turbulence), and it also keeps the interior quieter at speed. Because it will clear the roof when up, the raised deflector is also useful for "dimming" the headlights of trucks and cars behind us night or day, substantially reducing glare from the rearview mirror. And, I like the fact that the base section helps conceal anything left in the back seat.

Tilted backwards unacceptably reduces rear vision due to the density of the screen material, and, there's just no way to make the lines of the car look right. It's full up or full down as needed for us...

Old 12-01-2018, 06:43 PM
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Thank you Mark!
I had to laugh a little when I read "She Who Must Be Obeyed"....because it's so true! My main motivation for seeking info about the wind blockers is, indeed, one of the female persuasion LoL

I believe you just inspired a new acronym...SWMBO
Not related to the car...see the second paragraph of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She:_A...y_of_Adventure regarding a novel from the 1880s. Before you ask, I am not quite old enough to have read it when originally published, but I have seen the 1965 movie not long after it was released.

Last edited by bakntyme; 12-01-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:21 AM
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Had an acrylic one in a ZJS. Yes it blocked some wind. But if you check you'll find a lot of the wind still comes in between the seats and seat sides. These areas must be blocked also to be very effective.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by frankc
Mine is vertical. Never even thought about putting it at an angle. My vision through the deflector is unobscured. Just given me a thought. Its winter here but the sun is out.............. May just go for a top down drive.

Footnote.

For those thinking about getting a wind deflector note that there are two types. One set where you have to drill into the B pillar. The other type where you have to drill into the leather. Worth having though. I do not have any hair, well not much anyway, but I still find it more comfortable. It also stops you getting ear ache, from the woman sitting next to you.
Thank You Frankc! I've been weighing the pros and cons cons of the two different mounting systems...so far inconclusive..lol
Take her out and enjoy!

Old 12-04-2018, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Barry_Tucker
More or less vertical .......mine can be folded flat and I do this when the top is up. When I put the top down I just grab the deflector and pull it up until it hits the included stops....vertical "pretty much "
Thank you Barry!

Old 12-04-2018, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Redline
I've owned 4 small convertibles over the years and a behind-the-front-seat wind blocker/breaker/screen/deflector is not an option, it's a must-have. My bodacious GF and I have been comfortable in ambient temps down to freezing, (she likes the top down if it's not raining and she really makes the car look good when she's in it, which constitutes 2 votes to my 1...), whether cruising around town or motoring briskly across the nether regions of Nevada. Fully upright, the wind deflector is canted a few degrees forward by design, which helps to channel wind from the rear smoothly up and over our heads, (preventing turbulence), and it also keeps the interior quieter at speed. Because it will clear the roof when up, the raised deflector is also useful for "dimming" the headlights of trucks and cars behind us night or day, substantially reducing glare from the rearview mirror. And, I like the fact that the base section helps conceal anything left in the back seat.

Tilted backwards unacceptably reduces rear vision due to the density of the screen material, and, there's just no way to make the lines of the car look right. It's full up or full down as needed for us...
Thank you Redline! So the heater is reasonably effective with the top down...good to know.
One of the reasons I'm looking into one is my frequent drives up to Henderson/Vegas, and that drive just begs for the top down.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by bakntyme
Not related to the car...see the second paragraph of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She:_A...y_of_Adventure regarding a novel from the 1880s. Before you ask, I am not quite old enough to have read it when originally published, but I have seen the 1965 movie not long after it was released.
Nice, thank you! I'll have to see if I can track down a copy, looks like an interesting read. 132 years in continuous print is VERY impressive...
So you're NOT 132? lol

Old 12-04-2018, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Terrific
Had an acrylic one in a ZJS. Yes it blocked some wind. But if you check you'll find a lot of the wind still comes in between the seats and seat sides. These areas must be blocked also to be very effective.
Thank you terrific!

Seems like an ideal situation would be an acrylic/Lexan upright, and a horizontal platform that fills in a majority of the space to block most of the wind.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:52 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Originally Posted by bakntyme
Nice, thank you! I'll have to see if I can track down a copy, looks like an interesting read. 132 years in continuous print is VERY impressive...
So you're NOT 132? lol
I believe Rumpole of the Bailey was responsible for bringing it back into common use.

Quick Reply: Question for those who have a wind blocker