XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Readiness and the drive cycle

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Readiness and the drive cycle

My 98 XK8 is due for its state inspection. I just replaced the battery and the car has less than 100 miles since replacement. The inspection station said that it passed everything except the "readiness" indicators were not "ready." I found the ALLDATA 17 steps for generic Jaguar drive cycle, but not sure if this necessarily applies to the XK8. I have attempted to duplicate these steps, but it is hard considering traffic and normal driving conditions. I have put another 100 miles (200 miles since new battery) and the inspection station still said that the readiness is not "ready." Any tips/tricks to make my car "ready"? Have others experienced this amount of time to complete a drive cycle? Thanks for any response to encourage my patience.-C.J.

The following users liked this post:
Sam Sen (06-12-2020)
Old 01-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Did they give you a printout which gives any information on the tests that are not complete?

Old 01-17-2012, 11:48 AM

Yes, the printout shows the following items as "Not Ready"
Catalytic Converter Efficiency
Evaporative Emissions Control System
O2 sensors

The following items are shown as "ready"
Engine Misfire
Heated O2 Sensor
Fuel System Performance
Comprehensive Component

I have no engine lights on or driving issues. Any recommendations on how to accelerate the drive cycle process?

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Did they give you a printout which gives any information on the tests that are not complete?

Old 01-17-2012, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MR. CJ
Yes, the printout shows the following items as "Not Ready"
O2 sensors

The following items are shown as "ready"
Engine Misfire
Heated O2 Sensor
Fuel System Performance
Comprehensive Component

I have no engine lights on or driving issues. Any recommendations on how to accelerate the drive cycle process?
This is what is called out by Jaguar for your '98:

Fuel tank level between 15% - 85% full; after start-up, run engine (idle) for at least 7 minutes. With engine at normal operating temperature, drive vehicle 39 - 50 mph – (62 - 80 km/h) for at least 6 minutes.

Ambient (IATS) temperature > 20 °C (68 °F); engine at normal operating temperature; normal, varied driving for 3 minutes; then, constant steady throttle 50 – 60 mph (80 – 95 km/h), 1500 – 2300 > 15 seconds; then, constant steady throttle 30 – 38 mph (50 – 60 km/h), 1100 – 1900 rpm > 15 seconds

O2 sensors
Ambient temperature < 70 °C (158 °F); engine at normal operating temperature drive at steady speed > 13 mph (20 km/h) > 1 minute 10 seconds

If you can close out 2 out of 3 you should still pass.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 01-17-2012 at 12:13 PM.
MR. CJ (01-27-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the info, definitely a big help. I just had put another 25 miles since your response (225 miles now since new battery) and went by the shop, they said that the sensors were still not ready.
Before the first inspection, I put the new battery in and filled up the gas tank as full as it would go, so I am not sure if I am under 85% full, I would think I am by now. It has been cold here in NC, so maybe it takes longer to get up to normal operating temps and record accurate readings. As another observation, I have the AutoEnginuity software with Jaguar expansion, it reads no fault codes/errors, I have not cleared any data either. For now, I'll just have to keep on driving until that magic moment when the sensors decide to be "ready."

Old 01-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Screwed catalitic converter

Old 01-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info, definitely a big help. I just had put another 25 miles since your response (225 miles now since new battery) and went by the shop, they said that the sensors were still not ready.
Before the first inspection, I put the new battery in and filled up the gas tank as full as it would go, so I am not sure if I am under 85% full, I would think I am by now. It has been cold here in NC, so maybe it takes longer to get up to normal operating temps and record accurate readings. As another observation, I have the AutoEnginuity software with Jaguar expansion, it reads no fault codes/errors, I have not cleared any data either. For now, I'll just have to keep on driving until that magic moment when the sensors decide to be "ready."

If you have the Autoenginuity, there should be a mode where you can read the readiness results...check the manual. It might save you trips to the shop to keep retesting.

I would try to do the evaporative test first...that is pretty straightforward if you follow the procedure and is less likely to happen just driving around. Somethimes there is dependency on one test being done before another closes. That > 68 degF temp requirement is strange...I wonder if it was a typo bacause it was changed to 18 degF a couple of years later.

What you are going through is not unusual.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

68 F doesn't seem all that strange compared to the requirement that the ambient temperature is less than 70 C. Did they export some of the cars to Venus?

Old 01-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ed M
68 F doesn't seem all that strange compared to the requirement that the ambient temperature is less than 70 C. Did they export some of the cars to Venus?
I'll bet they are rust free!

Old 01-17-2012, 03:30 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

Cat efficiency is dependent on O2 sensors closing up first.

When filling up any gas tank only fill to the point where the nozzle automatically clicks off - the first time. Cramming more fuel in can and will eventually flood/saturate the evap system causing problems.

The following 4 users liked this post by Beav:
AmberJaguar (05-05-2015), Andy Cox (02-24-2014), billm (01-17-2012), drdan7 (07-19-2016)
Old 01-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Good post and informative -

When filling up any gas tank only fill to the point where the nozzle automatically clicks off - the first time. Cramming more fuel in can and will eventually flood/saturate the evap system causing problems.
I guess this is one of my bad habits, that I am going to stop...

Old 01-18-2012, 04:42 PM

Thanks for all the info. I plan on driving around for a week and see if that does the trick. I will also play around with my Autoenginuity so I can see when the sensors become ready, and then can celebrate. I will report back next week on the results.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:26 PM

Well, I am 400 miles in since my battery change, and I have run through through one tank of gas and on to another. I took my car back to the inspection station, and I still have the same "Not Ready" sensors for the following:
*Catalytic Converter Efficiency
*Evaporative Emissions Control System
*O2 sensors

I tried all suggestions above. It is at least a little comforting knowing that I am not alone, but I would really like to have this car pass its inspection. With my autoenginuity scantool, my 98XK8 has no "P" codes (active or history), other than the standard P1000 system check not complete code. I only have two "C" codes related to the front wheel speed sensors, but I don't think these have any impact on a readiness sensor. Unfortunately (and surprisingly), the Autoenginuity scantool does not permit Jaguar readiness sensors when the jaguar expansion is activated, this was confirmed by an AutoEnginuity tech yesterday via phone.

Is there any chance that something like a bad O2 sensor could be preventing one, or more, of the tests from being completed? I would expect if there was a problem, that it would definitely pull a P code, which it is not. For now, I will have to keep on driving.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:56 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

................ Unfortunately (and surprisingly), the Autoenginuity scantool does not permit Jaguar readiness sensors when the jaguar expansion is activated, this was confirmed by an AutoEnginuity tech yesterday via phone..................
Is the entire OnBoard Test Results display unavailable when the Jaguar expansion pack is installed or does AE just not report / not support Status?

Readiness and the drive cycle-autoenginuity-onboard-test.jpg

I have the earlier AE tool which doesn't support expansion packs and was considering upgrading to the current version plus expansion pack.

When I last cleared codes on my 2001 XK8 4.0, it only took a little over 100 miles of mixed town and motorway driving to complete the cycle and set P1111. In the five years I had the car, codes were cleared on a number of occasions for various reasons and it usually took about the same distance to complete the drive cycle.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 01-24-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:19 PM

The onboard tests tab all show as "not supported" when connected to my Jaguar with AE scantool 9.1 w/ Jaguar expansion. Also, there are no "actuations" available. I wish there were, then I could force the evap system test and pass one more of my readiness sensors. The AE tech line confirmed that Jaguar was not supported with the Jaguar expansion. It looks like they just came out with version 10. I am not even sure they have support for onboard tests even before I installed the Jaguar expansion. May be just a Jaguar thing. The onboard tests work on my other cars fine.

GGG (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 05:10 PM
GGG

The onboard tests tab all show as "not supported" when connected to my Jaguar with AE scantool 9.1 w/ Jaguar expansion. Also, there are no "actuations" available. I wish there were, then I could force the evap system test and pass one more of my readiness sensors. The AE tech line confirmed that Jaguar was not supported with the Jaguar expansion. It looks like they just came out with version 10. I am not even sure they have support for onboard tests even before I installed the Jaguar expansion. May be just a Jaguar thing. The onboard tests work on my other cars fine.
Thanks for the info.

I'll hold back on upgrading my AE until they sort the expansion out. Status reporting is more important to me than the additional sensors.

Hope the drive cycle completes soon.

Graham

Old 01-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
Thanks for the info.

I'll hold back on upgrading my AE until they sort the expansion out. Status reporting is more important to me than the additional sensors.

Hope the drive cycle completes soon.

Graham
The AE supports 2003 and later cars very well. The earlier years have issues.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:31 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
The AE supports 2003 and later cars very well. The earlier years have issues.
Good news on two counts:

1. can safely go ahead with upgrade
2. old one is likely to attract some interest on eBay

Thanks,
Graham

Old 01-27-2012, 02:36 PM

I am approaching the 600 mile mark since new battery was installed, and still showing a P1000 code, no other P codes. I spoke with Jaguar dealer this afternoon and they reiterated that this is not uncommon, especially on this Jaguar model. They suggested to keep driving and, when possible, at stop lights turn the car off, wait about 10 seconds, and restart the car and keep driving in addition to maintaining 25-75% fuel tank level. This was encouraged to expedite the drive cycle process. I'm still on a mission to complete that drive cycle. Thanks for all of the input so far, C.J. I will post once (if ever) it is complete.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:01 PM
GGG

I am approaching the 600 mile mark since new battery was installed, and still showing a P1000 code, no other P codes. I spoke with Jaguar dealer this afternoon and they reiterated that this is not uncommon, especially on this Jaguar model. They suggested to keep driving and, when possible, at stop lights turn the car off, wait about 10 seconds, and restart the car and keep driving in addition to maintaining 25-75% fuel tank level. This was encouraged to expedite the drive cycle process. I'm still on a mission to complete that drive cycle. Thanks for all of the input so far, C.J. I will post once (if ever) it is complete.
I had serious problems with an 2000 XK8L passing our emissions test a few years ago and remembered my local Jaguar dealer gave me a sequence to complete the drive cycle in the shortest possible time. Found it on a backup CD.

Note the warning at the end that it can take 5 complete drive cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.

I followed the instructions and the car did pass.

There's no reference to this sequence on JTIS but the US EPA did publish something similar at one time. It may have come from there originally or be something my local dealer's techs came up with to solve a problem.

Graham

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Drive Cycle.pdf (59.6 KB, 555 views)

Last edited by GGG; 01-28-2019 at 03:00 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by GGG:
celiathorne (11-27-2012), jimmiejag (04-27-2015), MR. CJ (01-27-2012), Orthodixie (10-10-2018), rocklandjag (01-04-2014), sverroc (08-19-2014), texasjono (05-23-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Readiness and the drive cycle