Sponsored by:

Rear Hub Carrier Commonality?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Rear Hub Carrier Commonality?

High guys,

Looks like I'm going to need a new a new Hub Carrier for the left rear. Is it true that all model XK8s and XKRs (X100) and the X300s and X308s share the same hub carriers?

Thanks!

Old 10-05-2014, 12:01 AM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I believe there were two versions. one up to certain models or 1998. From then on they are the same. I replaced one from a 2001 xk8 with one from a 98. No problems. A little wiggling and tender love to get the caliper bolts to go in. Still have the other side.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by scardini1
............. Is it true that all model XK8s and XKRs (X100) and the X300s and X308s share the same hub carriers?
The answer to your question is 'NO':

Standard: P/N MJA3290AA
'R' Models: P/N MXD3291AA

The cost of the 'R' Hub Carrier is approximately 30% more than the Standard.

Will they fit any model? That's a different question and a different answer!

Graham

Old 10-05-2014, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Oh boy. Obviously, this not going to be easy. This is for sale from JagSpares UK:

Jaguar XJ6 X300 XJ8 X308 XK8 Rear Hub Reconditioned Near Side or Left Hand | eBay

Can I use this in my '03 XKR?

I like the idea of paying a little more for a rebuilt unit, vs. just throwing a used one in.

Normally, I'd might just buy a new carrier and rebuild it, but I don't have the shims handy and can't leave the project in limbo while I hunt down the correct size. So, if not this rebuilt unit, I'll be resorting to a Used one.

Now come the "Graham" questions: Will either part "fit" - as in: just get the XKR back on the road? If so, what is the difference between the two parts?

So, once again - the bottom line here is: Can I use the JagSpares rebuilt unit to get Kitty back on the road?

Thanks Guys! - you're great.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Default Unbelievable!!!

One of the parts suppliers ran my VIN and said that the car didn't come with Brembos (I thought all '03 and later XKRs had them standard?). So under the car I go, and sure enough - - - I actually HAVE the MJA hub carriers! One of the POs must have had the Brembos added later.

So, ... I understand that there may be chance that I'll have to drill and re-tap the inbound carrier for the Brembo mounting bolts, but I'll take care of that easy if necessary.

Kitty will ride again!

Special thanks to all who chimed in to this and my "Rear End Wiggles" threads. The info led my research into this and a (relatively) confident solution.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

The rears should be no different, I never had to redrill them to fit brembos only the fronts

The early cars had smaller bearings up front, I must admit I am unsure if the same applied to the rear

Old 10-08-2014, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Tony,

Nope: the rear bearings are the same (or compatible) across all models and all years. Not only that, but the hubs, halfshafts and control arms are identical as well. Only the hub carriers have different part numbers.

I hate to think this, but it sounds as if all Jaguar did to justify a 33% increase in Hub Carrier price was to change the part number on the casting. That really sorta ticks me off a bit. If I wanted to be so exploited by a manufacturer I'd buy a Porsche.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:24 PM
Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I know this is an old thread but to answer the question, I have found out the following that might help others:-

The only difference between the two different hub carrier part numbers is that the brake disc shield is larger on the early Brembo brake versions compared with the standard brakes due to the larger diameter discs. I thing later models use the same larger diameter discs for all models. The hub carriers themselves are identical.

I have just bought a refurbished complete hub carrier with the standard brakes part number and the seller has simply cut the brake shield lip off to fit my Brembo brakes. I have compared the new hub carrier with my old one and they look exactly the same.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Andy,

Yup - That is exactly what I found to be true as well. My PO had the Brembos retrofitted to the standard carriers. When I needed to replace one (the above thread), I bought a plain old XK8 hub carrier and it bolted straight up. I did have to do a minor mod to the dust shield as you mentioned, and there was one other thing, so minor, that I can't recall what it was. There is no reason I can think of to pay the extra money for the Brembo/XKR hub carrier.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

The Brembo carrier also has the caliper holes tapped 14mm it was only the older brembos which were radial that the bolts went into the caliper

Either way it is possible to adapt a standard upright to brembo

Old 06-30-2016, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member

I had also heard the same thing about there being some differences in the way the holes were tapped or the bolts that were used. So my circumstance was especially worrying, because the PO had the Brembos added to the standard carriers some years after taking delivery from the dealer.
I did not know what to expect when I went to replace my carrier, so before dismantling the rear suspension, I took one of the bolts out to see if it would fit the replacement standard carrier I had. It did (so the car’s standard carriers had not been modified to accept the Brembo’s bolts). I also checked to see if maybe there were sleeves in the caliper holes to align with potentially narrower bolts. There weren’t – the holes were appropriately sized for the bolts. Maybe the caliper kit itself was designed to be retrofitted to the standard carriers, but the calipers sure look to be Jaguar Spec Brembos (at a minimum, they “say” Jaguar on the sides and are the appropriate red color). I can’t offer any explanation beyond this for why the standard carrier was one-for-one compatible with my Jaguar Brembos, but other than having to cut the dust shield (and maybe some little thing having to do with the parking brake cable routing), it was a direct swap.