XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear window regulator repair kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 05:45 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default rear window regulator repair kit?

2000 XKR 82k miles. Has anyone tried one of these kits? There are a lot of them on ebay. I have looked through the forum and it looks like there is a newer part that came out after the TSB, but people say it still seems to fail. I was thinking that one of these kits could be a better solution if they prevent the cable from coming off the track.

an ebay search showing some of these repair kits:
xk8 window repair kit | eBay

Pic of what my current regulator and cable look like:

Old 03-20-2016, 04:32 PM

I am going to give this a try and just leave it exposed for a week or two and see how it holds up. If it is not satisfactory I will just buy the new part and all I will lose is the $18 I spent on this:

1997 2006 Jaguar XK8 Convertible Left or Right Rear Window Regulator Repair Kit | eBay

I will post the results

The following 2 users liked this post by xkrmaxer:
giandanielxk8 (03-20-2016), Johnken (09-13-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 05:57 PM

Here is the update. This kit is insufficient alone. I think I have an idea of how to fix it correctly but I do not want to try and figure out how to source the pulley or deal with trying to repair it. I will send it out for a rebuild and update this thread again.

Observations on the improved new generation oem part: Mine already is the new generation (it has been replaced before). The extra support added to this type is probably sufficient, but it could be further reinforced by sliding an appropriately thick piece of metal into the the factory added support piece. This could probably be worked in with a rubber mallet and it would make it much stiffer. However, like I said, I do not think this is necessary.

What I would do to fix it if I was going to try: The upper pulley looks like the weak spot. There is a ton of play and I think when it flexes out the cable is coming off the upper pulley and that is why they fail. The new part is stiffened to reduce flexing, but the weak pulley is still used so it seems that the original problem is still happening once the top pulley gets loose enough. A better pulley should fix it if combined with one of these rebuild kits I tried. Fitting the pulley and sourcing it is not something I want to do right now, but others may want to try.

I am not putting another OEM unit in the car since this last one made it less than 20k miles. When I get the rebuilt unit back I will post again and provide that company's info if they make the changes that I think will solve the problem. I am pretty well acquainted with these stupid regulators by now so I should be able to be able to tell if these rebuilt units are superior to the new gen oem, or just another waste of money in my rear window regulator odyssey.

The following users liked this post:
volkris (03-31-2019)
Old 09-13-2016, 11:19 AM

The rebuilt regulator has been working for a little while now. This is the rebuild service I used:

Jaguar XK8 XKR XK Convertible Window Motor Regulator Passenger Rear Read Ad | eBay

I believe all he did was replace the upper pulley and then replace the 2 pieces that come in the standard rebuild kit (cable and spool). The price does not include a shipping label to get there, so add a little over $30. You could basically just buy a new regulator for the price, but I have tried that before and it obviously resulted in failure.

That upper pulley he is using is just a standard regulator pulley used on many brands' oem regulators. He does not reinforce the regulator with the extra metal piece, but mine already has it and he does not think you need it with a decent pulley. He also said this problem is worse in black and BRG (mine is BRG) or other dark cars due to heat.

I will post if this one fails.

The following users liked this post:
Stratohammer (09-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2020, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Window Regulator Replacement

Hi- I am new to this forum. I have a 2001 Jaguar XK8 and I am attempting to remove the right rear window/regulator Without removing the convertible top. I uncovered a bulletin an individual posted back in 2006 on how to replace the rear window regulator Without removing the convertible top. The process has gone smooth until now trying to pull the window/regulator assembly out of the body housing. While I have loosen the 3 Convertible top bracket bolts to slide the bracket over so the window/regulator bracket will come out, It just appears there is still not enough room to get it out. I am afraid I am going to break the window itself.

I am hoping this message attaches to a thread posted by XKRMAXER. From reading the thread there seems to be alot of domain knowledge on how to replace these window regulators.

Thanks in advance for any input

-