Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Recaro, or not to Recaro?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 03:45 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Default To Recaro, or not to Recaro?

Hi,

I am planning to buy and X100 XKR this year.

My question is, what are people's opinions on Recaro seats? Are they superior to the standard Jaguar ones? I have some back issues and like something that holds me in place.

I have an X300 XJR and the seats in that are not as body wrapping/hold you in place as I would like.

Any feedback would be most welcome.

Cheers,
Nick

Old 01-18-2018, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I don't think there were all that many that were sold with Recaro seats. When I was looking to buy, if I found 2 similar vehicles but one had the Recaro seats, that would have been the one I would have bought given their rarity. That being said I recall seeing posts where folks with the Recaro seats were not that thrilled with them.

Doug

Old 01-18-2018, 09:06 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

I don’t care for the Recaro’s even though they are more “desirable”. I wouldn’t pass on a good car due to lacking those seats. However, I can see it being a tiebreaker between various models.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

I have had both and actually replaced my originals with a pair of Recaros that I came across from another forum member.

The standard seats don’t have a lot of bolster, especially on the seat bottom so you slip slide around during spirited driving.

The Recaro is much better bolstered both top and bottom and keep you in place far better. I think the recaro supports my legs better and is more comfortable for a long drive.

But they are a bit narrow so a bigger person might fit in them well. And with the larger bolsters you need to be more flexible to get into the car. I recovered mine so it didn’t matter, but I would expect that most will show heavy wear on the door side bolster from getting in and out. Standard seats are easier to get in and out of by far.

The following users liked this post:
nickdabs (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 06:54 AM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Hi All,

Thanks for your comments, I will try and get a car with Recaros, but as is wisely stated, I won't pass on a great car over a pair of seats!

Cheers,
Nick

Old 01-19-2018, 08:13 AM
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

@Charlie:

I´m wondering wether the Recaros require any modifications concerning the mounting rails or elektrical connectors? Or do we have a case of plug and play?

Fritz

Old 01-19-2018, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 459 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdabs
Hi All,

Thanks for your comments, I will try and get a car with Recaros, but as is wisely stated, I won't pass on a great car over a pair of seats!

Cheers,
Nick
You won't be disappointed with an X100 XKR. As the cars you will be looking at will be around 14 years old, the biggest thing to look out for in the UK is rust. The paintwork will look immaculate, but the underside can be a mess.

Good luck and post some pictures when you find one.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Looking at this from the outside (I have the conventional seats), I would say double check the availability of leather seat covers first. I believe the 2 main seat designs have ready-made and great availability for leather replacement. Double check it is the same for the Recaro design. No sense in chasing this great seat design if the only maintenance option is expensive custom upholstery. Or at least be aware of it going in. Just my thoughts.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:02 AM
GGG
Received 16,764 Likes on 12,153 Posts

Defintely try both.

I found the seat base padding on the Recaro so thin and hard compared with the standard seats that it was very uncomfortable on long journeys.

Graham

Johnken (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 10:39 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ccfulton
I have had both and actually replaced my originals with a pair of Recaros that I came across from another forum member.

The standard seats don’t have a lot of bolster, especially on the seat bottom so you slip slide around during spirited driving.

The Recaro is much better bolstered both top and bottom and keep you in place far better. I think the recaro supports my legs better and is more comfortable for a long drive.

But they are a bit narrow so a bigger person might fit in them well. And with the larger bolsters you need to be more flexible to get into the car. I recovered mine so it didn’t matter, but I would expect that most will show heavy wear on the door side bolster from getting in and out. Standard seats are easier to get in and out of by far.

I have a 2004 coupe with Recaros and a 2003 convertible with standard seats. As ccfulton mentioned, I have heavy wear on the driver's side bolster, which I will soon need to repair. It does take more flexibility to climb in and out, but I'm not a big guy so the Recaros work well for me.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:35 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Recaro... most for sure

although the seats in my 97(sold) were the best of all.

2 of my Jags heve Recaro seats and yes they take more agility to get in and out, but they hug me fine at 6'1" and age sucks ... I have a trick back too.

I have replaced the drivers side outer bolster in my Black Cat, as they had worn/ ripped .

Recaros DO stick you in the seat...keeps you IN ...in the corners @ 100 mph

Cheers
Andy

Last edited by Wide_Tyres_2; 01-19-2018 at 09:48 PM. Reason: .
Old 01-19-2018, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsix
@Charlie:
I´m wondering wether the Recaros require any modifications concerning the mounting rails or elektrical connectors? Or do we have a case of plug and play?
The internals are a bit different and the seat module is slightly different programming (no headrest) but the plug in exactly like the standard seats and work without a hitch.

Originally Posted by fmertz
Looking at this from the outside (I have the conventional seats), I would say double check the availability of leather seat covers first. I believe the 2 main seat designs have ready-made and great availability for leather replacement. Double check it is the same for the Recaro design. No sense in chasing this great seat design if the only maintenance option is expensive custom upholstery. Or at least be aware of it going in. Just my thoughts.
I have not found ready made replacement covers for the Recaro seats. That said, I had a full custom job done on the two fronts with different colors, materials and some embroidery just for fun. Total was about $1100, not cheap but not awful either considering they took the old covers apart, made patterns and all that.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:15 PM
Received 128 Likes on 89 Posts

Having had both, '99 XK and My '04 XKR Portfolio, the Recaro's are much sportier with the more pronounced bolsters but the standard seats are more "giving" for just cruising. The Recaro's look better but seem a little thinner on the cushioning in the center. I just had my front cushions redone to the tune of $2300 since the Portfolio's Recaro seats were a weird one-off cinnamon and charcoal color combination.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:50 PM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

My 05 Carbon Fiber XK8 has "Alcantara" inserts on the seats which keeps one from sliding around in the seat while driving. At least that's my opinion. If you can find a car with this option, you might like that in place of the Recaro seats.

Cheers

Old 01-22-2018, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Wink Recaro my goodness.....

Personally, my Dear it's all in the Name.....The seats are not as comfortable as the plain old Jaguar Seats.....I prefer the Standard Seats myself as they do all the tricks and have all the buttons that I can remember to push or pull or whatever! Personally, I would like to have one of those 1963 Thunderbird seats that turn toward the door and the Steering wheel that slides out of the way so you can get out......Getting out and in has become my biggest problem at 6' and 210.....Feet are to big......and they hit the EBrake all the time...

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 01-29-2018, 05:16 PM
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Be firm

Originally Posted by Don-T
Having had both, '99 XK and My '04 XKR Portfolio, the Recaro's are much sportier with the more pronounced bolsters but the standard seats are more "giving" for just cruising. The Recaro's look better but seem a little thinner on the cushioning in the center. I just had my front cushions redone to the tune of $2300 since the Portfolio's Recaro seats were a weird one-off cinnamon and charcoal color combination.
I have both types: a 2001 Convertible (40K) with the standard, cream leather, very cushy seats and a 2006 Coupe (33k) with the thinly padded, charcoal leather Recaros. If you plan on just cruising the drive-ins, you should go with the standard seats; if you plan to drive the car briskly on any thing other than a freeway, i would recommend that you go with the Recaros. You sit on one and in the other. Also, you do not have to worry about fixing the head rest adjusters with the Recaros--no adjustments required.

Interior

bcprice36 (01-29-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 08:50 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Jrabbit - Any interest in selling your coupe?

jeremy 805-679-1917

Old 12-13-2018, 03:28 AM
Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

There are Recaros and there are Recaros 😀In October I took my Xkr to the race track, in preparation I fitted my Recaro race seat I usually have in my trackday Bmw 130i

Last edited by Higgins; 12-13-2018 at 03:34 AM.
JRabbit (12-16-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgins
There are Recaros and there are Recaros 😀In October I took my Xkr to the race track, in preparation I fitted my Recaro race seat I usually have in my trackday Bmw 130i

I actually quite like the look of those racing Recaros you’ve got there.

As a young guy, my biggest complaint with the Jag is that I slip and slide on the seats.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:12 AM
Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

The support when you are in the racing seat is phenomenal, you sit like nailed. But with the high side walls of the seat you also have some issues getting in and out of the seat. I have now changed back to the original seats, the Recaro racing buckets I only used for a few weeks for the racing track event and for fun

Quick Reply: To Recaro, or not to Recaro?