XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The red scare in the garage

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 07:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The red scare in the garage

Tuesday morning I went into the garage to discover a huge red mess running out from under the Jag. The power steering pump gave out overnight. I had driven it the previous day and when making the curve into the garage to park her next to the other vehicle, I did hear a noise but thought I just turned the wheel too sharply (although I didn't bottom it out).

With all the sensors in these vehicles, I'm surprised there wasn't a warning that the pump was failing (especially since it beeps, squeals and lights up for every other minor item). Even with a good amount of fluid left behind on the garage floor I was able to get it to my closest mechanic (2 miles) without any warning lights where he replaced the pump, cooler and hoses. I would have thought my dash would have been lit up like a Christmas tree, if not before the pump failed, certainly after.

So my question is this: Are there no sensors for the power steering or did mine just not work and does anyone know if there are any other parts that aren't sensored that I need to have checked out? Does anyone know?

Old 01-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

No sensor on the PS pump. No sensor on the fuel pump(s).

Old 01-22-2010, 12:18 PM

Thanks Test Point. I will make sure to have the fuel pump looked at soon.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

There are pressure sensors on both the fuel system and ps. Power steering is either inline or on the rack. Sends a signal to the ecu to increase idle with increased pressure. And the fuel pressure sensor is on the fuel rails

Old 01-22-2010, 03:13 PM

If that's the case, shouldn't I have received some warning lights on the dash? Do I have a fuse or ecu that isn't functioning properly.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't believe the p/s sensor will engage a warning light. I believe its function is strictly to communicate with the ECU. I don't know about the fuel pressure sensor. Brutal will tell us for sure. He knows all this stuff.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:49 PM

Not everything gives warnign lights or check engine lights, some things are stored and some are not, and without flipping open the book and looking at all the codes for ps and fp sensor faults i couldnt tell you off the top off my head if they will or not. But i dont ever remember a check engine coming on for ps pressure, youll know cause your steering gets hard about the same time the light would come on to tell you

Old 01-22-2010, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
There are pressure sensors on both the fuel system and ps. Power steering is either inline or on the rack. Sends a signal to the ecu to increase idle with increased pressure. And the fuel pressure sensor is on the fuel rails
Looking at the Electrical Manual for the 2000 XK8/XKR, I can't find any reference to these sensors. In what part of the Electrical Diagram set are they located?

Old 01-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Reviewing the electrical schematics, the only PS connection that I could find (LL1) to the ECM seems to have to do with the speed sensitive control system. I cannot find any sensor to report PS fluid level or pressure or lack there of.

I also cannot find any fuel pressure related sensor or connected to the ECM except for the fuel tank pressure sensor, which appears to have to do with the evaporative control system.

It would be especially helpful to have a way to report actual fuel pressure other than screwing on a pressure gauge.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Pavlik
Looking at the Electrical Manual for the 2000 XK8/XKR, I can't find any reference to these sensors. In what part of the Electrical Diagram set are they located?
itsthe part off the top of my head, ya'll remember I work on 15years of Jags and all models. I have a life that doesnt involve memorization or scouring wiring diagrams. Not all yrs/models etc use the same systems. return fuel system doesnt use fuel pressure sensor, the returnless systems do since theyre PWM fuel pumps. Sorry if you were expecting an exact free diagnostic involving me looking up info instead of fixing cars at work to get paid
I do apologize

Old 01-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Red Scare in the garage

The only repair that required a tow was my fuel pump. I had no idea what was going on (no warning lights) until the mechanic stuck his ear next to the fuel fill and asked me to turn the car over. He then went to the fuel rail with a very high tech instrument - a Bic pen- and depressed what looked like a ball bearing and again asked me to turn it over. No fuel at the rail so he rightly diagnosed it as a fuel pump. But again no lights.

This issue leads me to a theory.The fuel pump failed immediately after I pick up the car after a two week vacation. She is a daily driver on her mile are 120,000+ with very few problems (wheel bearings and thermostat). I wonder if many of the cars on this forum who sit for weeks and months on end do a disservice to the car by not exercising the parts continually and then jumping expecting all to be well. Sort of like not working out and then expecting the body to do a marathon. Not happening.

Perhaps the morale of this story is to Drive your Cats!!

Old 01-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag69
I wonder if many of the cars on this forum who sit for weeks and months on end do a disservice to the car by not exercising the parts continually and then jumping expecting all to be well.
After 4 month Winter Storage, both of my Fuel Pumps were open circuit and had to be replaced. Before storing for the Winter, car (with 31k mi) ran perfect.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sleeping beauty

Originally Posted by Jag69
I wonder if many of the cars on this forum who sit for weeks and months on end do a disservice to the car by not exercising the parts continually and then jumping expecting all to be well. Sort of like not working out and then expecting the body to do a marathon. Not happening.

Perhaps the morale of this story is to Drive your Cats!!
My car sits idle for weeks or months on end . One time I didn't drive it for 6 months (I probably had only driven it for 2 weeks, all told, out of that whole year) and had to replace the interior felt lining when I saw it again. I'm feeling the fuel injection is a little weird when I get around to driving it recently, is that an indication of fuel pump problem like you had?

Old 01-24-2010, 09:49 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default The red scare in the garage

Eland,

I happen to be standing behind the Jag while it was idling talking with a neighbor. The car began to run rough for a few seconds and then just crapped out. Not much warning. Hope that helps.