XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reliability

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 01:06 PM
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Default reliability

So my story is that I NEVER wanted a British car, same with Italian and french....perhaps I am a typical Californian who goes for Japanese, German, and American. I have owned 27 cars to date, never all at the same time. I now own a British car, a Japanese car, and a German. I also have wrenched my cars whenever possible for over 50 years.

All that on the table my cousin pushes my xk8 on me, 39k miles, in bad need of deferred maintenance, normal maintenance, and some over all TLC.

I have a laundry list of things i have done and EVERY time I take this car out a check engine light may come on, it may over heat, and nothing may happen....

My belief is that there are good cars and there are lemons, no warranty, no amount of maintenance of upgrades, nothing will turn a turd into a jewel.

But a good car, perhaps not one made on a Monday, or whatever is worth keeping. Cars whisper to me :"I am not going to be reliable or yes, drive and and don't worry, i am worth keeping."

So when I got my Jag I told myself I know nothing about these cars, it did not pass smog and had a check engine light on, etc....so I turned it over to a Jag shop and $2,000 later I had a new Mass Air meter, plugs, a couple of coil packs, fuel filter, and lots of driving to get it to pass smog...it did not....

then I got mad and joined this forum and started to fix and replace....after all the lines of the car grew on me at once, the ride was pretty good for a heavy car, the power acceptable for 4.0 liters, and the interior was soooo beautiful....that perfect dash.....My car is that purple eggplant color with cream interior and a black top, came with those chrome wheels and the hk stereo.

This car was 17 years old and had maybe 2 oil changes, 10 year old tires and an original perelli spare that was now plastic, needed a thermostat, fluid changes, filters, rear speakers, top rear window seal, water pump, fan belt, headlight had water in it,a few latches,a Full set of brakes, tires, a few odd things cleaned and wires fiddled with, and a NEW BATTERY. Finally it passed smog. This is just a partial list of things I did with the help of my son who also whispers cars even better than I do.

This forum has been valuable to me in so may ways...some of you really get jags like I get my beloved since new 04 S2000.

Now, after 6,000 miles, my waxing and clay bar treatment (which cannot cover up the scratched and dents as this was a city car), everything works except the trunk lights which I have given up on...it's reliability, it's a good car, and excellent example of a 20 year old car with plenty of character and patina and I love driving it.....I also have a 2016 m3 which I love and today I am driving the JAG....

The only automatics I have owned have been for other members of my family...i don't care for automatics...yet...but this car just seems right with no third pedal....
what I have spent is not yet double what I got her for...yes she is a she...she is worth it....some days I think I can just sell her and get some other project car and some days...maybe get something more reliable....but....most days...I am smitten by her charm and glad I still have the keys.

I have two other cars that handle better and are faster...but nothing I have ever owned has the majestic quality of this car. And it's a Ford for many of the parts!
It's not reliable as my Honda S2000 but it is as reliable as almost any other car I have owned. So far so good. Average MPG is 18.5.

Last edited by hirev; 04-18-2018 at 03:28 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by hirev:
avern1 (04-18-2018), cjd777 (04-21-2018), GGG (04-19-2018), michaelh (04-18-2018), oyster (04-18-2018), simon3166 (04-19-2018), toaster (04-18-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-18-2018, 03:37 PM
Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Happy to hear you have sorted out your Jag. I too live in California and have always driven German cars. That is until now. I just picked up a 2006 XK8 and I am in love with the car's lines. Without a doubt, it is Old School as far as the ride and technology is concerned but I think that's part of it's charm. My XK8 reminds me of another beautiful convertible, a Mercedes 280SL. I hope to get a few good years out of mine...hope you enjoy yours as well.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Reliability for these cars is all about resolving the many known flaws that come with the model and then keeping up with the ongoing maintenance. And learning to DIY as much as possible. This forum will quickly become the most valuable tool in your toolbox....

Old 04-19-2018, 02:42 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by hirev
..... everything works except the trunk lights which I have given up on. .....
Don't let a little thing like that defeat you.

Graham

Old 04-19-2018, 12:57 PM
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Thank you for your words of encouragement and solidarity my Jag brethren.
Alas the trunk lights...took latch apart, got an ebay new latch, the lights work, the wires are ok, the fuse is working...all the other related lights come on and stay on for the correct period of time....but it will just not work, period.
also the dash does not signal in the window the trunk is open. the remote works, the key works...it's ok....cause the lighter works, the valet i have no idea of so i do not use it...but the remote trunk release works sometimes on the dash as with the gas cap flap....just sometimes.

This car has a personality in more ways than just beauty , style, performance, and luxury...

i wanted to add this : since the 1970's I have not had to drive around with a set of tools in my trunk...i have a full set in the jag. When it broke down....overheated...thermostat and water pump (almost gone) I was able to drop the top on a winters night, turn the heater on full and drive home a few miles at a time. That gauge, well it was working well enough to see the cooling and heating . Never fried the engine. So I have technically not been stranded.

The other day as example i set the turn signal and the window said "Bulb not working" then that disappeared and when I was able to stop ALL lights worked perfectly....go figure? This had not happened since or before.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:34 PM
Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like electrical gremlins. I get the occasional DSC Light for no reason. It goes away and only returns when I think it's gone for good. Perhaps as Jag owners we have to put up with a few occasional annoyances.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 722 Posts

I have gotten the occasional electrical gremlin with my new to me XKR. Ever since I posted about the problems on the forum, they disappeared. I may have jinxed it now.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:14 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Whilst cranking, if I get the yellow DSC fault light, I know for sure that the battery is not fully charged. After a run, the battery is fully charged and the DSC light never comes on.
It acts like a cheap battery health indicator...

Old 04-20-2018, 03:48 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by hirev
..... This car has a personality in more ways than just beauty , style, performance, and luxury...
You never simply OWN a Jaguar - you have a RELATIONSHIP with it.

When I return to a car park, I'm pleased to see my Jaguar because it's beautiful to behold and fun to drive. When I'm driving another car and return to a car park, I'm pleased to see it only because that means it hasn't been stolen.

Graham

Old 04-20-2018, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

As for reliability, I have owned a number of Jaguars from my first car, a 63 XKE FHC in 1964. In all that time, I have found Jaguars to be very reliable. The only exception was the 04 XJ6 air suspension. The key to reliability is to follow the maintenance schedule. I have had the 06 XKR since new and it has NEVER had to go in the shop for anything. I do the PMs myself and that's it! These cars have always been beautifully made and are a pleasure to maintain.

Old 04-21-2018, 03:00 PM
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmots
As for reliability, I have owned a number of Jaguars from my first car, a 63 XKE FHC in 1964. In all that time, I have found Jaguars to be very reliable. The only exception was the 04 XJ6 air suspension. The key to reliability is to follow the maintenance schedule. I have had the 06 XKR since new and it has NEVER had to go in the shop for anything. I do the PMs myself and that's it! These cars have always been beautifully made and are a pleasure to maintain.

1964 was a very good year, you have owned your first car an I.........

was born.