Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

considering x-type...have a few questions re:reliability

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default RE: considering x-type...have a few questions re:reliability

Hey there Mac........I run an 02 X type 2.5 with about 22k miles on her. No real reliability issues to be honest...........more just little quirks n stuff here n there.
Stock brakes are poor and would need uprated probably.
Its good thatyou dont care about Mpg and speed cos the X is not the most economic and not all that fast considering she's a 2.5v6, but she is a solid car.
Sexy as hell though and be prepared for lots of comments and envious looks, cos they will come I assure you.

Jim

Old 05-14-2007, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome first of all! If little things really don't bother you, then this is the car for you! Ford makes all of the crappy interior that tends to brake and fall apart, but the car will run strong and the AWD gets praise round and round. The ABS system is also awesome on the car and steering during wheel lock is fabulous! Just upgrade the brakes to slotted rotors and red stuff pads from EBC and you'll be good to go. They're the most praised pads amongst us Jag owners. If you need help, this is also the place to be, but come by and say hi if you get the car...don't just come by when you have questions and problems. Makes us feel like prostitutes!

Old 05-14-2007, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes and yes for the last questions, and you should try and change the tranny fluid on the tranny since our tranny's are quite weak, and a change of fluid every 50K miles would extend the life of the tranny a lot!

Old 05-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome mac,

I am afraid to jinx myself!!!!!! I have had My 2002 X for about three months, nothing major, just a few rattles and noises that bother me, so i turned up the radio and now my rear speakers ar dead. I have been just to busy and haven fixed them yet.

I do hear a few complaints about the front end on the forum, and i do second the front end complaints. and i think for a luxury car there shouldnt be any rattles. BUT THE CAR IS JUST SO DANG SEXY that when i hear a noise i just say "i am driving a JAGUAR and i look good in it".

The MPG really suck if your doing city driving. 90% of my driving is in Chicago downtown, so my MPG are aroud 13 mpg's sometime up to 15mpg's.

I do think the brakes arent that great and the petal is soft, i dont know if upgrading will help but i am going to anyway.

all in all the car has been good to me.

i think the most annoying thing about it is i wash my Xtype twice a week

i wish i had the car longer and give you some better advice, good luck in your decision.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

For anyone who is gonna ever own a Jaguar first time , X Type is a good choice .I think it's like a car that you will like it more and more every day .Nothing is meant to be perfect that's why there is a room for buggs and little problems

Old 05-14-2007, 04:41 PM

welcome!
i have a 03 manual 2.5 at 44k miles now. had it for half a year, since 30k miles. no rattles that i can hear
(and i'm pretty detail-oriented with these things) from the front, back, anywhere (yet).
i would have liked a more "refined" drivetrain, but overall, like others have said, i find myself
liking the car more every day, even though i had liked it like few others at the time i bought it.
obviously, test drive if possible, as every car is an individual despite the common trends.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:43 PM

The rattles i have are:
my front passanger seat rattles when its all the way back and nobody is in it. A good song on the radio covers that up.
my front suspension rattles too, but the streets here in chicago suck so i am always hitting potholes and bumps (i have also heard other here complain about it too)
my center council creaks and rattles.
and a few other noises ihavent pin pointed.

I guess it just bothers me because its a Jaguar and i feel it should be perfect. But when i look at the whole picture the car is great.

MAC Its all what you are looking for, AWD in michigan will be a blessing. I tried get my cat to loose control or spin tires in the snow, i know if i tried real hard i could, but the fact it didnt when i tried a little makes me feel very safe and that right there makes up for the squeaks. also its a beautiful car that no one can mistake for any other.
Just look at the TCO and only you can tell if its worth it. My opinion is yes!

Old 05-14-2007, 04:48 PM

by the way, just came back yesterday from a trip to lansing, michigan; how crazy are the drivers there?!?!?! the only real competition to michigan for bad roads, crazy/stupid drivers, mismanaged road construction, and overall traffic irritation i've experienced comes from new jersey, and that's saying a lot. lol
i'll never complain about ny after this (6th) michigan experience!

Old 05-14-2007, 04:59 PM

Hey macchiavelli,

come over here to chicago in the spring time, the streets will beat you up worse than NJ. and themessed up construction. we have2 seasons here winter and construction season.Traffic sucks azzzz i work 6 miles from my house and yet it takes me 45 minutes to drive there and a hour 15 home on fridays.....6 miles!!!!!!!!!!! The drivers are just as crazy as new york but here they smile and wave when they cut you off. NY cab drivers are insane.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey macchi I'm a Michiganian! Man I love our roads! I love our hillbilly drivers and our weird weather!

Hey mac26mac just curious
1) First why you are moving here to Michigan? Hopefully its because you already have a job because I assure you, you wont find one here!
2) where are you moving in Michigan? (I live in Waterford, MI in Oakland County)
3) Which engine are you looking at the 2.5 or 3.0 mated to the manual?
4) Do the cars your looking at have a warranty?
5) Want me to research some cars located here in Michigan for you? ( mind you I'm very resourceful and am really good at these kind of things)
6) How much you looking to spend?
7) What color do you want?
8) Apparently you would like navigation? ( cuz you could also just put a nice pioneer navigation unit that would go well with the green illumination of the cars dash for less than 1500)
9) Do you like chrome or would you like the sport exterior with different suspension, rims and what not? 10) How come you want manual?

Old 05-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

Now the quirks we all speak of are no big deal...If I were you I'd test drive all you can there in California so you don't have to deal with them once you move! You come out here and test drive they will just call you and call you....so see what you can do and bug the dealers there and don't tell them your moving until they go and call you back on the phone and let them know your moving that way your off the hook! This way when you come here to Michigan you know what you want how the cars are supposed to react and see if its really what you want! By the way I'd imagine your probably older than 20's or 30's right? I'm 22 and when I first took a black 03 sport fully loaded for a test drive out to my wifes work about 45 minutes away from the dealer I really realized how much of an impact these cars have on everyone else in the world! Everyone looks at them...personally it seemed like if you get say a black sport they seem to love them...I have an adriatic blue and it draws very much attention, we test drove a regular black one with the chrome instead of the sport and it didn't really draw as much attention but people still know your in a jag! If your looking to buy an 04 or 05 I'm guessing your looking at spending over 20k...unless your trying to get an 2.5 liter with stick and save some money, although sounded like you wanted navigation and that comes at a little bit of a premium. Do you have any kids or anything or is this just going to be your reliable transportation to work? Either way you will love this car as everyone has said....little quirks and all you will love the car, you won't have to worry about this though as you want an 04 05 which will be under warranty from jaguar! Rest assured there are some good jag dealers waiting to take care of you here in michigan!

Here are pics of non-sport models...

[IMG]local://upfiles/674/D938E704737244C6BA9C60BA67FD62BB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/674/A3AA5AB37DDD42039BE0BBED8795E693.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/674/37AF4A3D11EC48FBB56EC7EC9F2F61BA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member

Well the suspension is what the sport has over other models...plus they have better rims (in my opinion) as well as those the sport also comes with traction control standard. I like the painted look with no chrome on the trim but thats my taste...everyone is different. I like to keep things simple so the painted sport is my way to go. In 2004 they had the 2.5 and 3.0 in stick or auto...for 2005 they only come with 3.0 and auto or stick...I'd rather have the 3.0 if I were you...I test drove a 2.5 and was shocked at how different it was than a 3.0 it felt like it was a 2.5 but with a stick i'm sure its different but I'd still rather have the 3.0. British racing green this way is quite cheap actually I've found some for cheap with navigation and what not. It might be hard though to find navigation with a stick...if you wanted an earlier year like 02-03 it may be easier...I will look and let you know though. Waterford is about 15-20 mnutes northwest of troy and rochester. The aftermarket pioneer I speak of actually looks stock in the jags as the radio's in them are huge! The navigation systems I speak of are double din mounted in the dash that don't motor out they stay put...gotta go for now but I'll look

Here's my sport model in adriatic blue

[IMG]local://upfiles/674/0CBDE9AA53184281BEF01A381839B8C1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-14-2007, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm proud of you guys! You are on top of it here!! Good post/responses...

Old 05-14-2007, 07:14 PM

yessss, british racing green, we support thee!

it actually changes looks under different light conditions. direct sunlight makes it a slightly lighter british racing green, dappled shade is where it really amazes with its deep dark/light green color plays, and deep shade makes it a serious matte dark green. superb color. guess what mine is?

Old 05-14-2007, 07:18 PM

heh, i know what you mean, been over there as well! i'm in upstate ny, so it's slightly more relaxed here, but you're right nyc traffic is incredible. if you drive properly, you get into trouble all the time. drive like an as.h.le and everything suddenly goes smoothly! nevertheless, at least the crazy nyc drivers are more or less competent in their craziness; michigan/nj add incompetence to craziness, what a mix.

Quick Reply: considering x-type...have a few questions re:reliability