Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Headlight Assy

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Removing Headlight Assy

For future reference, here are pics of the three (3) headlight assy attachment points:

The first two are easy to locate and unfasten.

The third is a torqx screw up underneath the front fenderwell. Since I had the liner and fascia off, I thought I would snap a few pics in order to help people locate this attachment point. With the fascia in place, removing this bolt is pretty much a process done by braille; however, knowing what the parts are underneath can help.

The torqx bolt is located at the top of the black bracket in the fourth pic over.

Attached Thumbnails Removing Headlight Assy-inner.13mm.nut1.jpg   Removing Headlight Assy-inner.13mm.nut.jpg   Removing Headlight Assy-top.bolt.jpg   Removing Headlight Assy-bottom.torqx.jpg   Removing Headlight Assy-bottom.torqx1.jpg  

Last edited by H20boy; 06-14-2010 at 05:24 PM. Reason: big pics made from the thumbs
The following 4 users liked this post by GordoCatCar:
chrisant (11-25-2010), MiragePro (09-21-2017), Rick Padilla (10-29-2011), Stamford (11-26-2011)
Old 02-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Default A couple more pics of the Bottom Torqx Bolt

This bolt is located up and inside the front fenderwell. It is a #T-40 torqx.

Attached Thumbnails Removing Headlight Assy-bottom.torqx2.jpg   Removing Headlight Assy-bottom.torqx3.jpg  

Last edited by H20boy; 06-14-2010 at 05:25 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by GordoCatCar:
eaglexkr (12-04-2010), Mvirgil (10-09-2014), XK8Paul (10-07-2011)
Old 02-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the info and pics!

Old 02-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks from me too. I copy and save all this stuff to specific files for "some day"

Old 02-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

yeah nice pic's Gordon

Old 06-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for this. Can it be done without the fascia/bumper off? I have one light with the gasket not sitting right in the body and was hoping to remove the light and reinstall the light unit...in hopes of getting the gasket back to fit.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNC
Thanks for this. Can it be done without the fascia/bumper off? I have one light with the gasket not sitting right in the body and was hoping to remove the light and reinstall the light unit...in hopes of getting the gasket back to fit.
It's supposedly possible, but that bottom bolt is an absolute b*tch. I was trying to do it the other day. I could feel the bolt. I could get the torx into it, but then it kept slipping out of my hand and falling into the space under the light. It's completely done by feel, and you're in a very awkward position. I'm glad I wasn't able to get it out, because if I had, putting it back in would have been harder than Peter North.

The following users liked this post:
coach enrique (10-24-2012)
Old 06-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

But... if you want to try, turn the steering wheel away from whichever light you want to fix (in other words, turn the wheel to the right if you're working on the left headlight). That gives you room to get to a little access panel at the front of the wheel well. Twist the center bit of the access panel 1/4 turn, then grab the tab on the bottom of the panel and pull up and out. The panel will come right out.

Then, reach up in there and feel around. Don't mind the spiders. You have to stick your arm in almost up to the shoulder to reach the bolt. There is only one downward facing bolt in that general area, so feel around with your fingers. The bolt isn't six-sided. It's round, but it has a hole in the middle for a torx bit. Once you think you've found the bolt, stick the bit back up in there attached to a screwdriver handle and try to unscrew it. By the way, it is a different size than the bolt on top. I was pissed when I finally found the bolt, got the bit into the hole, then realized I had the wrong size bit.

Look at the pic on my car below, and then look at the location of the bolt on Gordo's pic of the bolt location above. That gives you an idea how far you have to reach up in there to get to the bolt.

XK8Paul (10-07-2011)
Old 06-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member

While I am certain it is possible to remove the headlight assy, while the car is resting on the ground, by reaching through the fender liner access panel. The much easier approach would be to lift the front end; remove the wheel(s); and pull the fender liner. Using this method, access to the troublesome underneath bolt is not a problem.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

yah, agree with you there gordo, that access panel isn't good for too much except looking inside. When I had to remove the entire fender well liner to get to my sway bar bushing, it opened up the entire front end for access. Just get the fasteners back in the right spots, they're different, and I goofed up one side in haste.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:11 PM

I might give this a go this weekend. I just have to reseat the surrounding gasket on the light ever so slightly so it tucks under the sheetmetal. Maybe I'll just loosen all the bolts and see if it will move into place. But my luck never goes that way and it will end up being a 6 hour job and some busted knuckles LOL!

Many thanks for the pics, a tremendous help!

Old 06-15-2010, 07:41 PM

Got it! Took about a half hour. I removed the top two bolts and was able to GENTLY pivot the headlight unit to seat the outer gasket. Looks much better.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Good job Dave, way to play small ball...

Old 09-24-2010, 12:23 AM
cav
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I've just joined the forum in order to view the pictures you posted re. headlight assy attchment points. However, I cannot open pictures. It keeps telling me that I do not have permission to access the page. Any advice.
Best regards,
Claude (CAV)

Old 09-24-2010, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

i do not understand why you cannot view the pics. On my screen the photos are embedded in the text full size, and then also attached as thumbnails to the end of the post.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

@cav I believe that you can now view the pics you were looking for.

@GordoCatCar
It is related to a New Member restriction, sadly neccessary to help protect the forum from Spam. In order to prevent Spammers from imediately posting their 'usually ****' pics we had to restrict access to certain areas.

Unfortunately this also affects the good guys. OK so they can't post pics, but they also can not view embedded files either.

There is now a short forum qualifying period, related to time and a minimum post count.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:09 PM

Im trying to replace a broken lense on my xkr. Ive got about 3 hours into it and still cant get to the 2 clips and little bolt on the botom. I hate to take the bumper off and turn it into an all day job unless I have to. I just joined the fourm today but am unable to view the posted photos. anybody have links to any other similar sites with directions/ photos?

JAke

Old 12-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I posted the 7 photos in order here for you:

http://s1194.photobucket.com/albums/...xkr/headlight/

XK8Paul (10-07-2011)
Old 12-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Yakabilly
Im trying to replace a broken lense on my xkr. Ive got about 3 hours into it and still cant get to the 2 clips and little bolt on the botom. I hate to take the bumper off and turn it into an all day job unless I have to. I just joined the fourm today but am unable to view the posted photos. anybody have links to any other similar sites with directions/ photos?

JAke
Take off the fascia. It is not that difficult, nor time consuming. Once you take it off, you will see how easy it is to remove. The most difficult is jacking it up and removing the front wheels. If you can do that, then the rest is pretty simple.

Total time to remove the fascia is only about 45 minutes. Way less than you have spent so far struggling to reach the fasteners.

Raise the front of car up on jacks stands
Take the wheels off.
Remove the fender liner fasteners, or at least the front half so you can push them aside.
Pull out a half dozen reusable plastic pop rivets under the front spoiler
and then remove the three (3) bolts on each side of fascia holding it to the upper fender

Last edited by GordoCatCar; 12-03-2010 at 03:46 PM.
XK8Paul (10-07-2011)
Old 12-03-2010, 04:08 PM

Thanks you guys, youve been a great help so far! Unfortunately I just now checked the fourm after i did it the hard way and took the light out by fabricating a couple special tools to unclip the clips and remove the bolts. The old light is put and the new one placed in but im unable to get most of the clips, mainly the sides and bottom clips down. Ill spend another 30 on it trying to see if i cant get them to snap in otherwise ill go get that bumper and wheels off.

The pictures are great, Ill most certainly tackle more of my own repairs in the future by reaserching on the fourms here and looking for guidance!

Quick Reply: Removing Headlight Assy