XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Headlight Assy

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

You can install the lens and snap all of the attachment clips for the lens while the entire lens and lamp housing assembly is OUT of the car. Then you re-install the whole assembly in the car with the 3 screws/bolts.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

9/10 times that bottom torx bolt just rips itself out of the headlight assemby, another crappy Jaguar/Ford idea screwing an un-treated bolt into a non ferrous (brass) ferrule. The bolt attacks the ferrule and weld themselves together and you just simply end up braking them off.

What I do is take the bumper off, remove the headlamp, very simple at this point as the lower bracket can be taken off via the 2 bolts holding it to the chassis. Then on the bench carefully remove the torx bolt, you normally find the ferrule unscrews,
The torx and ferrule can now be removed off the bracket, find your nearest bin and throw it away but keep the bracket.
Refit the headlamp so it is nicely to the wing and then refit the bracket so it just rests on the underside of the lamp unit, refit the bumper.

Now if you ever need to remove the lamp unit it is literally a 5 minute job and you do not need to take the bumper off, the 2 bolts that hold the lamp are more than capable.

The following users liked this post:
Mvirgil (10-09-2014)
Old 12-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
,,,Then on the bench carefully remove the torx bolt, ... off the bracket, and throw it away... refit the bracket so it just rests on the underside of the lamp unit,...
IMO Allowing the front part of the headlight bucket to simply rest on the bracket would be inviting the headlight assy to vibrate or bounce should either of the other two fastening points become loose.

I recommend keeping the front torx bolt and bracket fastened tightly. If the issue is corrosion of the bolt and the bronze ferrule due to dissimilar metal contact, then simply use some dielectric grease and/or anti-seize lubricant on the bolt threads.

If the ferrule is loose within its seat on the bucket plastic, you can use JB Weld to secure it in place, and then refasten the assy to the chassis using the bolt to the bracket. I have repaired a couple of these bronze ferrules on the cam covers using this method, and they have held fast for over a couple years now.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for the information on headlights. I will be tackling this job next weekend. Those pics are great!

James

Old 09-19-2017, 02:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts
Default Helpful? Hint.

I had cause to remove my headlight a little while ago. Having heard about the nasty Torx underneath the headlight I decided that I needed to see this dreaded bolt. So I 'simply' got my camera on my phone. Opened up the hatch on the wheel liner. Stuck my camera hand in there and took a series of blind shots with the flash on.

The photo below shows you where the bolt should be. As you can see though someone had been there before me. Had the problems mentioned above and simply removed the Torx. My headlight has always been stable and I had no idea that the Torx screw/bolt was missing. I removed the headlight no problem. One suggestion though. Once out if your going to separate the headlight into its two parts heat the clips a little with a hair dryer etc first. The clips tend to be brittle.

Doing what I did may say you some hassle and also give you an idea of what your up against.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

While I am certain it is possible to remove the headlight assy, while the car is resting on the ground, by reaching through the fender liner access panel. The much easier approach would be to lift the front end; remove the wheel(s); and pull the fender liner. Using this method, access to the troublesome underneath bolt is not a problem.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:45 AM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts

Search me...I've done a very extensive write up on replacing the headlight on a 1999 XK8 convertible. Tools, locations, everything.