XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Shifter assembly - how to release wires?

Old 11-02-2016, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default Removing Shifter assembly - how to release wires?

Shifter assembly up side down. Need to disco the Wire harness next.

Where did they hide the release tab?

Today I was ready to replace that burned out bulb at the top (by Park) of my sifter assembly. Well at least the 3rd or 4th time you take this apart, it does go much faster.

One has to disconnect the wire connector wire harness, with the white plastic connector, as seen in the above photos. Wow, there is not much working room and you have to be a contortionist to get eyes on it. For some brilliant reason, Jaguar decided to wrap this particular harness around the wires that go to the microswitch in the assembly too. This just reduces play and makes it feel like you're going to pull the wires too hard and break something.

Anyway, that's not a whine, it's just a heads up for the next guy to take this on. I am stumpted - I can not see a release tab for this white connector anywhere.

Yes, I tried pulling just in case it doesn't have a locking tab - no movement.

Truth is it just got to that point where you realize you better ask for help before you go too far and break something poking around.

Can anyone help me understand where the Tab Release is for this harness?

(might as well ask question 2 now)

As you can imagine I'm going to pull the assembly out of the car before I open it up, prepare for many small parts to fall out unexpectedly then Desolder the dead bulb, and solder the new one in. Looking ahead, this "second" pair of wires to the one microswitch in the plastic shifter assembly is pretty short. I've got to remove it too.

Anyone know if it has a detachable connector? I hope its not soldered in, I'll probably cut the wires and put connectors on them before I take the 900 degree soldering iron into the center console.

Truth is the first question is the important one. I'm dead in the water until I can figure that out. So I hope one of us has alread been through this and can advise.

Thanks,

John

Old 11-02-2016, 05:38 PM
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Johnken.
I can not imagine that you can not pull the plug. Have you ever tried with a thin screwdriver between the board and the plug to go and lift the plug slightly? But beware. Do not cut the circuit boards or break the circuit board.
To cut the cables I think is not a good idea. This would be a possible source of errors.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (11-02-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnken

Shifter assembly up side down. Need to disco the Wire harness next.

Where did they hide the release tab?
John,
It looks to me as if those pins are soldered into the PCB. The connector is at the other end of the wires. Take a look at the pics (particularly #3) in this post of Brutal's which show the unit disassembled & you'll see what I mean.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...59/#post379159

Er - not sure how you get at it, mind.

HTH,
Mike

Johnken (11-02-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Ike and Xk81997, I am with you, but here's the issue. If there's no locking tab, yes I'm sure I can pry it up. BUT if there is a locking tab, any force will certainly break one thing.

Mike I'll check further for Brutal's posting bout this.

So I sure do appreciate the input but this one's still open.

If anyone as remove this connector, please jump in and lend some of your wisdom.

John

Last edited by Johnken; 11-03-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:18 PM
Received 7,851 Likes on 4,749 Posts

It's been a REALLY long time since I replaced an Illumination Module but I think you just unplug the YELLOW connector and the 'Black D4 selector' switch connector on the P/N micro-switch mount plate.

Leave the short link harness on the Illumination Module!!

You are looking at the wrong end of the link harness.

bob

Johnken (11-02-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 08:50 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi John!

I'm working on the same issue with replacing the bulbs. The harness on your pic's is -IIRC- only around 30cm (~12") long and connected to a microlock connector on the other side. The real pity is, that you have to take out the center console to disconnect the other end's connector and so get the shifter out, as there is not enough room for pulling the plug. AFAIK the wires are soldered to the board.

Greetings
Wolf

Johnken (11-02-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member

Whew, way more complicated than I ever expected. Now the other job I was putting off, fixing an open wire at the base of the turn signal stalk, looks inviting☺

Truth is you guys saved me from wasting a lot of time. Thank you, john

Last edited by Johnken; 11-03-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:26 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,206 Likes on 1,700 Posts

You have 2 plugs that you can remove and the unit comes out with short pigtails.

Attached Thumbnails Removing Shifter assembly - how to release wires?-img_1532.jpg  
Johnken (11-03-2016)