Sponsored by:

Retrofit Power Fold Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts
Default Retrofit Power Fold Mirrors

Hey guys,

Quick question on retrofitting power folding mirrors. I searched the forum but couldn't come up with quite what I was looking for. I have an '05, so I know they were an option for that year. My garage space is really tight, and I always have to manually fold the mirrors before pulling in, then unfold them so I can see to back in.. then repeat to drive out.. kind of a pain. So that's why I'm looking at adding them.

I talked with SNG, and it looks the like the price for the mirrors themselves is $620.00 (not sure if that's per mirror or for both). Does anyone know what other parts I will need to add them, and if I'll have to take it in to a dealer to have them "recognized" by the car? Thanks!!

Old 03-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

You will need different seat modules or get them reprogrammed and have the fold back function switched on....... Has been done

Old 03-03-2014, 12:36 PM
Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

When I was specifying the options I wanted on my car (X100 XKR), directly with the factory, in 2003, one of the things I requested was the power fold-back mirrors. They were the only thing they could not give me, and my car did get a few other "off the record--not listed nor available options".

They said because it had to be a USA specification car (my requirement in order for it to be allowed into the US) the wiring harness did not include a provision for power fold-back mirrors. They did give me the photochromic side view mirrors, not a US option at the time, but not power fold-back.

I attempted to verify this a year or two later when I had a door panel off. I could find no unused wires that might have been for power fold-back.

So, first I would verify if they were a USA option for your year (the last they made our X100s) and if so, to be certain, remove a door panel and with a wiring guide in hand, determine if you have the necessary (unused) wires and terminals. If so, verify they also run to where the switch is located and finally that the circuits will complete. I'd do that before ordering any parts.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member

I'm sure it was an option that was available on US cars for '05 and '06 as it was standard equipment for the victory editions, but not before then; maybe that's why they weren't able to do it for you in '03?

And thanks, I'll get a hold of a wiring diagram and take a look. If anyone could post a link to that here, it would be greatly appreciated. If I don't have the necessary wiring, does anyone know what the part number(s) would be for the correct wiring needed?

Also, I've confirmed that the $620 price is for both side mirrors.

Sorry, also, could you clarify what needs to be done with the seat modules? How are those tied into the mirror functions? Will I need to do this even if I find that the necessary wiring is present?

Last edited by 01Silverstone; 03-03-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Gus has the wiring diagrams on his site: JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

If you look at the diagram you will see that the switch feeds into the door control module, but the seat modules actually drive the door mirrors, They communicate with one another via a proprietary network.

I assume that the seat modules either need a different software load or the proper option set with the dealer diagnostic system. (I am sure XKRacer can clarify).

This thread may also be of interest: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...mirrors-76564/ I was not successful with the remote powerfold upgrade last time I tried, largely because I was guessing in the dark and did not have my own car to develop it on. I just purchased the mechanism this week at a pretty good price on ebay: XK8 Jaguar OE LH Power Fold Door Mirror Body | eBay and will give it another go soon on my own car. Unfortunately he only has LH side mirrors left.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 03-03-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the help... I think I'll start by seeing if the wiring is present, and then hopefully XKRacer will chime in on more details with the seat module and then I'll go from there. But it looks like the only parts I'll hopefully need to order are the 2 power mirrors. Now, even if the wiring is present, are there additional harnesses I'll need?

Old 03-03-2014, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member

I am pretty sure all the wiring will be there, especially on a 2005. No additional harnesses needed. You likely just need the mirrors and probably the programming, but it is certainly worth trying to see if it 'just works'.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member

Will I have to take it to the dealer for programming, or will the right Indy be able to do that? Guessing installing the mirrors can't be too hard... Though for $620 I might have to put it off for a bit until I see how much fixing the auto-leveling HIDs will be (that's a post for another day...)

Last edited by 01Silverstone; 03-03-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Yes you will need to reprogram or get already done seat modules as I said in post #2, the wiring should all be there, anyone with a WDS will be able to wake up the option in the software, I am pretty certain the door modules will be fine.

NikasilNik did this retrofit years ago and it was published in an old growler magazine, not sure if anyone has a copy on the forum they could scan for you, unfortunately Nik passed away last year!

Old 03-03-2014, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for clarifying XKRacer. So it's sounds pretty straightforward to me. I order and install the mirrors, reprogram the seat module and presto! Power fold mirrors. (With about 100 steps in between ordering the mirrors and presto!.. Lol)

I'm sorry to hear about NikasilNik. He sounds like he was a great asset to this forum and a man who loved his Jaguars. God rest his soul.

If anyone would happen to have a copy of that article, or information about which volume it was in, that would be great!

Old 03-03-2014, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry this is off topic, but WhiteXKR I know I said I planned to order the nav-to-triple gauge conversion package from you awhile back. I apologize for not having done so. Finding replacement dash veneer is what's holding me back. It will be nearly $1,500 through Madera which I just can't justify. So I'll need to wait until a set comes available through another medium before I can go ahead with swapping everything out.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Back when I bought my car I had just assumed it would have had powerfold mirrors, not that I really need them. I just thought it was a cool feature and was disappointed not to have them. I did a brief investigation on what it would cost to retrofit install these and quickly decided it would not be worth the money. Ditto for retrofitting the adaptive cruise control system which I also did not have.

Now if someone could figure out some way to have the windows work one-touch-up in addition to the one-touch-down, that would be something I might consider worth doing if price was within reason.

Doug

Old 03-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 01Silverstone
Sorry this is off topic, but WhiteXKR I know I said I planned to order the nav-to-triple gauge conversion package from you awhile back. I apologize for not having done so. Finding replacement dash veneer is what's holding me back. It will be nearly $1,500 through Madera which I just can't justify. So I'll need to wait until a set comes available through another medium before I can go ahead with swapping everything out.
Please, no need to apologize.

$1,500 is quite steep (although I am sure they would do an excellent job). I agree fully that because of the rarity of your car, you should not compromise until you find the correct veneer.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts

Has anyone wired their folding mirrors to the alarm or door locks? I'd like to have it so the mirrors fold in or out automatically when the car is locked or unlocked.

Reason for asking is that I retro-fitted folding mirrors into my old Honda Prelude and managed to get them to trigger when I enabled/disabled the alarm. Used a diode on the feed to the door lock to blip the relay for the folding mechanism.

Is there a similar tweak for the 99 XKR (UK-spec) or is it a whole new alarm/door module?

Best wishes, Colin