XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ScanGauge E

Old 11-08-2014, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts
Default ScanGauge E

Anyone have any experience with the ScanGauge E on a XK8?

Thinking it will fit in the coin tray in front of the shifter with a little modification. My concern is can the display be read at an angle.

I just want the voltage and water temp displays, the other features are just a plus.

ScanGaugeE : Linear Logic - Home of the ScanGauge

Old 11-08-2014, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Jandreu
Anyone have any experience with the ScanGauge E on a XK8?

Thinking it will fit in the coin tray in front of the shifter with a little modification. My concern is can the display be read at an angle.

I just want the voltage and water temp displays, the other features are just a plus.

ScanGaugeE : Linear Logic - Home of the ScanGauge
You might do what I did and put electronic gauges in the rear view mirror. This gives you the functionality of the gauges used in the XK8s while keeping the sat/nav system (which I have upgraded to be more functional).

Mark

Attached Thumbnails ScanGauge E-wp_20140322_17_49_11_pro.jpg  
Old 11-08-2014, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

Your mirror setup is sweet but more than I want to invest, Steve's RealGauge is great also for water temp and I would switch from my worthless Nav setup in a heart beat if it wasn't for the issue of matching the wood for the triple gauge setup. So the scangauge e is a little cheaper than the RealGauge and I get more functions.

Just looking to see if anyone has experience with the ScanGauge on an XK8.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

I made an aluminum angle bracket to mount my Ultragauge in the gap between the dash and the center console on either of my cars.

I have the Realgauge oil and water on the XK8, but when on a trip the Ultragauge is a nice addition because I can monitor the fuel trims. It also has an alarm function for temp. and reads and resets engine codes.

UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

The following users liked this post:
Jandreu (11-09-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Never used Scangauge but I have an UltraGauge like RJ that I just leave in the car all the time.

Ran the cable under the floor mat and leave it sit in the coin tray similar to what you are thinking to do.

I would assume that Scangauge would have the same functionality since it is uses the standard OBD data.

Jandreu (11-09-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys, looked at the UltraGauge site and it's interesting and 2/3 the price of the ScanGaugeE. However it's a little to big and has way more functions than I'll ever need, information overload.

I'm thinking of actualy modifying the coin tray so the unit sits flush, permanently installed. All I realy want is water temp and voltage read outs.

Good the see these types of gauges work well with the XK8

Old 11-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I didn't take the time to read the details but I suspect a significant percentage of the assembled JagNuts have an Android phone an/or an Android tablet. For $4.95 you can get the TORQUE Pro app which does everything this thing does.

My 10.1" Android tablet makes a wonderful aux dash with everything displayed as analog gauges, digital gauges or just digital read outs.

Jandreu (11-09-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by test point
I didn't take the time to read the details but I suspect a significant percentage of the assembled JagNuts have an Android phone an/or an Android tablet. For $4.95 you can get the TORQUE Pro app which does everything this thing does.

My 10.1" Android tablet makes a wonderful aux dash with everything displayed as analog gauges, digital gauges or just digital read outs.
Yes you are correct but again I'm looking for a permanet installation that is unobtrusive and while will not look stock it will look "installed" not just hanging on a bracket. I don't drive for hours at a time, I'm lucky to get in 30 miles at one time and the Jag is a hobby car not a DD so I don't need or want all the information overload.
Thanks for the suggestion though...

Alone this line however I am working toward replacing my worthless Nav screen with a backup camera screen. The part to integrate the stock Nav screen is just to expensive, $220. Have been trying to find a way to integrate the New LCD screen I'll install for the backup camera with some sort of gauge display. Woundering if I could go in the opsite direction and have an old Android phone with the TORQUE Pro app mounted behind the dash where the Nav screen is and find a way to integrate the back up camera to it....hummm..the search goes on.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

I've been considering this route now for a while using a 5" android phone or pending on getting a spare fascia 7" tablet to install. You have to have root to modify some code on the phone, ie buttons are not available, so this mod turns the phone on when power is detected on the usb (ie car turned on). I have a jetpack we don't use and that would be my 'net' connection though I could use the hotspot on my phone as well. I wasn't concerned with phone hands free for this installation. I'm not sure as backup camera would work in this scenario either since the usb port is required for power. I leave my bluetooth OBDII dongle plugged in and it sits in the sunglass compartment by my left knee, This would provide me with fulltime TPro access and logging .This is on my list for this winters tinkering.

Last edited by jamdmyers; 11-10-2014 at 04:44 AM.