Sponsored by:

SDD/IDS Expertise requested

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
The boot and fuel buttons work
Hmm, as per the diagram, the switch for the fuel filler (on the left) belongs to the body processor, and the fuel filler flap solenoid (on the right) belongs to this security module, so SCP has to be functional, right?

Old 05-10-2018, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

fmertz - Yes - you would assume so.

But - the SCP network comprises :
Instrument pack
Body Processor module
Security module
Driver & Passenger door modules.
Driver & Passenger seat modules
plus connections at the diagnostic socket.

IDS doesn't specify where there is a communications problem - only that there IS one !

Doing an integrity test involves disconnecting EVERY control module and then using a DVOM to measure various voltages. Yes - it can be done, but is complicated, very time-consuming, and - bearing in mind the age of the wiring - fraught with making things worse in the process !

Old 05-11-2018, 02:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

JagV8.
Maybe, but it USED to do the "global open" and now it doesn't. If I unlock the car (with the key), open the door, put the key in the ignition barrel (before the alarm sounds) then everything is normal - the boot and fuel buttons work, and there are no other issues. If I then put the key in the door lock and hold it against the open position, I get the "global open" sequence with no problems. So - all the evidence points to a problem with the SCP network.
Andrew - I suspect that you have access to SDD which I don't as my car is too old - it defaults to "legacy IDS" which is a bit clunkier. But - I would still be very interested in knowing how you get on. I still think it is probably a slightly corroded connector somewhere on the SCP network. I had lots of problems with the CAN on my car which turned out to be a problem with one of the multi-plugs into the instrument pack (dashboard) so I have some previous pain of a similar issue.
But the question there, if it were a corroded connector on the SCP network, why does that fault only manifest itself when the car is locked and not when it is unlocked? The network is working fine when the car is unlocked, which suggests the network itself isn't physically damaged, something else is causing the problem (such as you suggest the car thinking its permanently in deep sleep when it is locked).

Old 05-11-2018, 02:54 AM
Veteran Member

dibbit.

Agreed - and there doesn't appear to be a logical explanation. I started the thread as I was hoping for advice on how to get a result out of the IDS diagnostics kit.
The basic problem would seem to be that my two fobs have totally "lost" their programming, and I can't reprogramme them either manually or via the IDS system because there's "a network fault". Other symptoms would seem to reinforce that diagnosis.

So - has anyone any suggestions why the following happens :

With the car locked, if I unlock with the key, I should be able to hold the key in the 'unlock' position and get a 'global open' - windows down and roof folds down. This doesn't happen.
But - if I unlock the car with the key, unless I put the key into the ignition barrel within 20 (?) seconds, the alarm sounds which is normal, and shows the alarm system is OK.
If I THEN hold the key in the door 'unlock position' - the 'global open' works properly.

Fuel filler, boot/trunk open, and valet switches all seem to work OK.

I'm really not sure where to start looking !!

Old 05-11-2018, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

May be something like a poor connection / chafed harness/wire.

The place to look first may be the driver's door hinge area.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
May be something like a poor connection / chafed harness/wire.

The place to look first may be the driver's door hinge area.
That would certainly be as good a place as any to go looking. It certainly seems to be a missing input that is causing the logic to get confused.

I have trouble believing the problem is an intermittent connection though, although I suppose it depends on how consistently David can recreate the fault condition. It seems a stretch to suggest that with the door closed and locked the global open doesn't work, but then by unlocking and opening closing the door (moving a chafed connection), global open then works.

Narrowing it down to which action actually switches states (eg unlocking or opening/closing the door or putting the key in the ignition barrel) will help point to where the fault lies.

I can't believe chafed wires would always produce the same fault on/off condition.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:26 AM
Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi David....and other interested Members....Have a look at this thread by Ray1000

"How to remove memory from key fob" https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...memory+key+fob

Which also has some interesting ideas that may help to narrow this down?

Last edited by Norri; 05-11-2018 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 05-11-2018, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Another shot in the dark: As this module involves "security", it somehow needs to be "coded" to the car once it is disconnected. Maybe the ECU detected you swapped between modules and is now refusing to do anything involving locks and fobs (the rest works fine). The fear might be that swapping modules with the fob pairing in them somehow could lead to theft. Somehow. Maybe you need to do the same IDS procedure as for a change of VCATS. Just a thought...

Old 05-11-2018, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member

I think this is going to be one of those "long-running" detective stories where, after years of painstaking forensic investigation, a solution is eventually found.

The 'original' SLCM is back in the car - I have no reason to believe it is faulty as a "known good" alternative with exactly the same VCATS code shows the same problem

I have no reason to doubt the IDS fault diagnosis that there a communications fault with the SCP network and there is evidence (failure of global open) to back that up.

At the moment, I'm not sure if it is a hardware of software problem. There's a very good Jaguar Independent garage (shop) not far away so I think it's worth paying for an hour of diagnosis time to confirm that it is the car that's the problem, and not my "suspect origin" SDD/IDS diagnostics kit. They can probably also confirm that the fobs are transmitting, even if the car isn't receiving.

Then - and I agree with the opinion others have proposed - I'll start with the driver's door wiring, switches and module, and work my way backwards from there.

Not a big deal - I can do EVERYTHING I used to be able to do except lock and unlock my car from 30 yards away. Lots of people have much more serious issues !!

Old 05-11-2018, 02:52 PM

Good luck with that my friend...and if you get to the bottom of it Holmes...you're a better man then I!! Lol!

Old 05-12-2018, 03:14 AM
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

I am far from an expert. However, when I unlock my car with the key in the driver's door, the alarm chirps and turns off before the top-down sequence starts. My guess would be that your problem is related to the alarm not turning off when you unlock with the key, since it works properly once you disable the alarm. If the top-down sequence did work in your situation, the alarm would go off because the sequence probably takes longer than the alarm delay. Could this possibly be related to a loose connection from your remote top accessory?

Last edited by bakntyme; 05-12-2018 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 05-12-2018, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member

bakntyme.

Yes - most of that happens !! If the car is locked (with the key) and I then unlock the car with the key, I get the chirp but no "top down" sequence.
Nothing happens UNTIL I open the driver's door - I then have 7 seconds or so (with a ticking sound) to put the key in the ignition before the alarm goes off. This is what is supposed to happen. (only in the UK and Europe I think) - the US and rest-of-world is different).

I can then use the key in the drivers door to initiate the "global open" sequence.

I think I should concentrate on the driver's door - wiring and modules - as that might well be where the problem lies !

Old 05-12-2018, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

See if you can check all the microswitches are working as intended - something not opening or closing might well confuse the system.

Old 05-12-2018, 01:45 PM

bakntyme.

Yes - most of that happens !! If the car is locked (with the key) and I then unlock the car with the key, I get the chirp but no "top down" sequence.
Nothing happens UNTIL I open the driver's door - I then have 7 seconds or so (with a ticking sound) to put the key in the ignition before the alarm goes off. This is what is supposed to happen. (only in the UK and Europe I think) - the US and rest-of-world is different).

I can then use the key in the drivers door to initiate the "global open" sequence.

I think I should concentrate on the driver's door - wiring and modules - as that might well be where the problem lies !
If you have seven seconds to put the key in the ignition before the alarm goes off, and that is how it is SUPPOSED to work, then every time you use the key to unlock the door and put the top down the alarm would go off, as it takes longer than seven seconds for the top down sequence. If you are getting the chirp, is that not an indication that the alarm is supposed to be turning off?

Old 05-12-2018, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

bakintyme - Ah yes but ....................... as soon as you open the door, the "alarm countdown" starts. You should be able to use the key for a "global open" without the alarm sounding (I think !!)

Old 05-12-2018, 02:17 PM

OK, as strange as it may seem, your system appears to be working as intended according to the Security System manual UK version for 1997 MY??

"With the vehicle disarmed..." and "First disarm the vehicle..."

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
PDF File.pdf (435.2 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by bakntyme; 05-12-2018 at 04:59 PM. Reason: fixed from which manual the instructions were copied
Old 05-12-2018, 02:27 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

You're right David.

Old 05-12-2018, 03:28 PM

David!!!

I found an instruction manual for SSD online and on this page it actually states where to find the Network Integrity Test!! Page 3-44

https://www.slideshare.net/simoboual...212-1-36292314

I've been playing with SSD all day on my XK8 and have come across the same messages as yourself...with a communications failure with the Security Module...followed by run a Network Integrity test! I only found the manual just now...so will go back into it tomorrow and try to find the test.

Good news though...I easily managed to disable the "Break Glass" sensor which is the culprit that sets the alarm off every time there is heavy rain and/or hail! Chuffed with that at least!

More trial and error beckons tomorrow!

Old 05-12-2018, 03:36 PM

Incidentally....I tried to reprogramme both door modules and also got a communications failure message with both....

Old 05-12-2018, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

andyzeg. Thanks for all that.
I can't use SDD with my car - it is too old. I have to use "legacy IDS" and that's very different.
But - it is very interesting that you get the same "communications failure" as I do. The implication is that Jaguar never managed to get it's diagnostic hardware/software to work with the security/locking module of the car and just kept a bit quiet about it in the hope that nobody but you and me would ever notice.

At the moment, I have a dead Peugeot and a wounded Volvo to get sorted. A fairly minor problem with the XK8 is not one of today's priorities !!

Quick Reply: SDD/IDS Expertise requested