XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SDD/IDS Expertise requested

Old 05-12-2018, 04:45 PM
Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi David - I am using IDS SSD version 131 ... which is suitable for Jags from 1995 to 2005....so it may be the same as yours. The manual I sent should be correct. Best of luck with the Jag and your other projects.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

andyzeg.
Yes - I have the same software, but when I type in my VIN, it says I can't use SDD and I have to "revert" to legacy IDS. When Jaguar introduced SDD around 2000 (I think) - they didn't make it backwards compatible, so although you sort-of 'log in' to SDD, the old IDS is included in that package and is what you are forced to use. It is much less intuitive than SDD and there's also a lot less documentation available on how to use it.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:14 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

IDS is just WDS with an external VCM and a common laptop.
WDS is a PTU (Portable Test Unit) with an INTERNAL VCM contained in a laptop type unit.

WDS was introduced in the late 1990s (1999??) and IDS was introduced in 2006.
BOTH shared the same basic software versions of WDS.
The last two versions of WDS were the FIRST two versions of IDS (42 and 43)

Then no more software for WDS but DVD 101 was the follow up to DVD 43 for IDS.

I left the dealer when DVD 102 was introduced so I don't know when IDS 118.5 was released. (final version of IDS, 2009??)

If you want to use IDS, then study WDS as it is more or less THE SAME!!

I worked at the dealer when we transitioned from PDU to WDS and we all went to WDS training. We never went to IDS training because there was not really any change in the use of the software, just a Panasonic Toughbook and VCM instead of the PTU.

Many of us have uploaded WDS training material in the stickies sections and Gus should have some on his site.

bob

Old 05-13-2018, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Bob.
Thanks for that - I have found your training manuals and other material on Gus's site and it has been extremely helpful.

I guess my problem is that the SDD training manuals assume a knowledge of IDS which I don't have, so although I'm confident with the straightforward stuff like reading DTCs and following the on-screen diagnostics process, I'm much less secure with the more complex areas like the multiplex systems.

So ............. when I get the "Communications failure with SLM" with a green tick to click on, and then a "Run the network integrity test" with a blue tick box which, when ticked returns me to the "configuration main menu" - I don't have enough knowledge, and can't find it in any of the manuals, to be sure that I **should** be able to communicate with the SLM with IDS, and if so, where do I initiate, or find the results of, the Network Integrity Test that I may, or may not, have run when I ticked the blue tick.

From reading the training manuals, I get the impression that SDD has hugely simplified the "user front end" of the kit, even if the basic hardware/software remains broadly the same.

I'll get there eventually !!

Old 05-13-2018, 03:59 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

I know next to NOTHING about SDD. The cars I work on use IDS. I decline repairs on Jaguars later than about 2006.

When you enter the VIN and IDS is loaded on the screen, There should be a question "Is this vehicle configuration correct?"

Check to see if 'Security System Fitted' is on the config list. If NOT then say NO to the Config list and select things that are fitted to the car and add them on the screen when it comes up. It does not hurt to say NO and then not change anything.

I commonly find things like Premium Sound and Rain Sensing Wipers not listed when I know the car is fitted with those options.

Saying NO to the configuration list will give you the opportunity to add the options to the list if they are omitted. Then save the config and use that session in future sessions with the 'saved' info.

I used WDS/IDS daily for eight years so I got very familiar with the procedures. Over the years I have forgotten some of the unusual or lesser used functions of the software.

You might go into the SETUP AND CONFIG tab and look around at some of the functions. Just don't initiate anything without knowing what you are doing. Bad things can happen if you erase something you are not supposed to.

bob

The following users liked this post:
DevonDavid (05-13-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Hi DD,

You may be chasing le hareng rouge with the module comms (at least in relation to the global locking isuue) as bakntyme notes.

Our cars are fairly close in age, and here's what I found with some tests on mine:

1) Lock car with key, then unlock - no 'global open' and indicators don't flash, but light on J-gate continues to do so: security remains armed.

2) Open door and put key in ignition. This cancels alarm, and indicators flash twice. Close door. Now I have global lock & unlock. I think this mirrors the behaviour you're seeing.

Unlock with fob, and immediately global functions available.

So, in my case also, the global function isn't available while the security remains armed..

Dibbit is also on the mark - I should have read more carefully. In my defense m'lud, I was following the thread from my mobile as just back from a very agreeable trip to Dubrovnik. I even found a red to match Barolo...

As an aside, we in Europe decided to put the LPD channel frequencies in the middle of the UHF amateur radio band. Idiotic choice as some of the stations use high power which will swamp the tiny signal from the key fobs.

I'd rig a temporary antenna to the SLCM.

HTH

Old 05-17-2018, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member

michaelh - I will try a temporary antenna for the SLCM - fairly easy to do and will rule out one potential cause.
However, I'm doubtful mainly because of the communications issue with the IDS kit. But - it won't cost anything to try !!

Now - where's my bent wire-coat-hanger !! ??

Old 05-17-2018, 04:08 AM
Veteran Member

Could somebody do me a small favour please when you've got a spare 5 minutes. Must be a UK spec car, and ideally around the 1997 year.

Lock the car with the key - turn the key towards the front of the car and release. Do you get a chirrup or any other noise, do the side indicators flash, and is the red LED on the J-Gate flashing ?

Unlock the car with the key - turn the key towards the rear of the car and release. Do you get a "ticking sound" BEFORE you open the driver's door. Any other noises or do the side indicators flash.

Non UK/European cars behave differently, so won't be relevant to tracking down my problem.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
David.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
michaelh - I will try a temporary antenna for the SLCM - fairly easy to do and will rule out one potential cause.
However, I'm doubtful mainly because of the communications issue with the IDS kit. But - it won't cost anything to try !!

Now - where's my bent wire-coat-hanger !! ??
Does my car's behaviour not match yours?

Can't help with the chirp as mine died very shortly after I boasted here that it was still working (karma), but:

locking with the key flashes indicators once, and J-gate starts to flash

unlocking with the key doesn't flash the indicators, and the J-gate continues to flash. No ticking until door opened.

HTH

Old 05-17-2018, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

I think yours is the same as mine - although I can still chirp !!

I will try the temporary antenna, but I still think I have a network issue, as my IDS can't communicate with the SLCM and this would be essential to programme new keys and various other stuff which isn't directly concerned with the remote key fobs.
That's why I think it's worth paying for an hour or so of diagnostics at a Jaguar Independent with knowledge and experience. At the moment, it's not just that I don't know, but I also don't know what I know and what I don't know. I need to be 100% sure that there's not a problem with my IDS and that my car should be able to communicate with the SLCM with IDS and can't. If that's the case - then I can start to trace wires and test circuits.

Sincere thanks for all the help and advice received - I'll keep updating if, and when, there's anything new to report.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member

Understood.

You mention trying to program the fobs manually - can you set the SLCM to 'accept fob programming' mode ("beeps" from the alarm and flashing led on J-gate) via the headlamp flashing and sacrificial chicken process, or doesn't that work?

Old 05-18-2018, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member

No - that doesn't work. Have tried all the different combinations of door open / door shut / trouser leg rolled up / one button five times, five buttons once, but neither of the fobs work even if I'm standing within an inch or so of the antenna.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

No - that doesn't work. Have tried all the different combinations of door open / door shut / trouser leg rolled up / one button five times, five buttons once, but neither of the fobs work even if I'm standing within an inch or so of the antenna.

Sorry - wasn't clear: I meant can you put the SLCM into fob programming mode via the headlamp flashing sequence. I'd expect that to work since the other BPM messages are getting through?

Old 05-18-2018, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

No - that doesn't work, but I substituted a "known good" SLCM module and that didn't work either which another reason why I suspect a "network issue" rather than a "module issue".

Old 05-19-2018, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 459 Likes on 331 Posts

No - that doesn't work, but I substituted a "known good" SLCM module and that didn't work either which another reason why I suspect a "network issue" rather than a "module issue".
But the SCP network seems to be working (we know that because the boot & fuel open buttons work and your global open is working the same way as Michaelh's).

Old 05-20-2018, 01:28 PM

dibbit...My 2003 XK8 is doing exactly the same as DD's and comes up with the same communication error when trying to reprogramme the SLCM vie IDS.

No chirps signifying entering key fob programming mode...has been the same since I got the car 3 years ago. I even tried it with both trouser legs rolled up and fingers crossed behind my back..still nothing.

I've now bought a 12v 50v power supply as a battery maintainer which I will rig up this week as the IDS process is a real drain on the battery. Check out this thread from hafren -

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...tainer-149395/

Many thanks to hafren for his kind help and advice by the way.

I downloaded this which is worth studying too as it gives a good overview of the electrical systems of many Jags -

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Trai...2002-20-02.pdf

There is an answer somewhere! Something has simply gone doo-lally in the electrical system and it will be found!.....I hope...slopes off hopefully wishing himself to be right,,,

The following users liked this post:
michaelh (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member

The training guide from Gus's site is an interesting read.

"The key-ring transmitter will only work if the vehicle’s doors, hood and trunk are closed and the key is not in the ignition."

Sounds logical, and confirmed for my car.

So, a corollary of this is the fobs won't work if the ignition key flap sticks open. Doesn't explain the SLCM refusing to play ball, but it's something else to check if the remotes appear to have gone south.

Unlike CAN, SCP is supposed to continue to work even if one of the wires is short or open circuit, although I've read somewhere that diagnostics can be affected with the network in this state. It seems a bit of a stretch that would allow most messages to get through and yet block one, though.

Hopefully DD can shed some further light on this conundrum after his Indy visit.

@Andy, IIRC the 'chirp' from the column speaker when entering fob program mode is extremely quiet.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:36 AM
Veteran Member

I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of it eventually - I had also seen and saved the training guide. The following is interesting :

Security receiver shutdown To reduce SLCM quiescent drain, the transmitter receiver portion of the security system will shut down 28 days after the body systems enter the sleep state. Any body systems activity, such as unlocking the vehicle with the key, will reactivate the receiver.

as it tells us two things.
1. That the transmitter/ receiver section of the SLCM is a separate "portion" of the complete bit of kit, and
2.In my case and andyzeg's, it is as if it went to sleep and we can't get it to wake up again. That's the ONLY problem I have with my car. But - the "unlock" signal MUST be getting from the door lock to the SLCM as the car (obviously) still unlocks OK with the key ! I have also substituted another SLCM with an **identical** vcats number and the problem remains.
Will keep looking as time and energy allow !!

Old 05-28-2018, 02:50 PM

Well I just had another play with IDS on my XK8 and this time used a power supply as a battery maintainer as in my previous post. That worked very well with no visible draw on the battery this time...at least that was one less variable to worry about!

Still have the communications failure with the Security Locking Module and similar difficulties with the door modules. It then asks to do a Network Integrity Test...as mentioned earlier...but despite this...there appears to be no such facility within this version of the software. The Training Guide shows it...but on DDs and my software package it is missing.

I then tried the Body Processing Module...asking IDS to install a new module....ie. reprogramming it. Once again...this all went through the motions and I followed all the operator instructions (ignition on...then ignition off, etc) and the blighter then came up with this - "Control Module set-up procedure failed"...twice!

So at the moment I don't know whats going on. Something is amiss somewhere and it is possibly a physical contact or plug fault...or one of the modules is at fault.

One good thing though...in the Dealer options I scrolled down to the security features...and successfully enabled disarming of the alarm system using the door key barrel! Yes! No more beeps with 7 seconds to put the key in the ignition to disable the alarm! That is a major result in itself, I'll tell you! Half the battle won really.

Other than that....disabling the break glass sensor now means no horn going off in heavy rain or hail...and for the first time since I bought the car...I was able to hose it down and wash it without first putting the key in the ignition to disarm the system..unlike before when it would quickly go off!

I suspect that the newer Jag SSD packages have more functions and are possibly more user friendly..more Windows 10 as opposed to Windows 3.1 Lol! But sadly, they won't operate with the older models.

I did find one thing today though...after running the symptoms section about the key fob problems...the recommendations had a section that said "Cannot unlock the car using the remote key fob" and this would have led to a Jaguar Technical Service Bulletin had my software been connected to the internet. So by that I am guessing the this is a known Jaguar fault...although it may just contain the basics....change fob battery, etc?

Onward and upward!!!

Old 05-29-2018, 02:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 459 Likes on 331 Posts

andyzeg: Its entirely possible that there are bugs in the IDS software - you really need to find someone with a fully working car and see if you can isolate what is a real problem and what is a bug in the software - for example the Network Integrity Test.

Anyway, now that you have disabled the 7 seconds to put the key in ignition to turn off the alarm, you can just fit an aftermarket alarm/remote and use that to lock/unlock the car rather than fixing the non-working Jaguar fobs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SDD/IDS Expertise requested