XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

She is off the lift, need advise please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts
Default She is off the lift, need advise please!

Finally, I pulled my XKR off her gynecological chair and drove this entire weekend. After having her on a lift for nearly 2 weeks, working on at least 10 different issues, it was nice to finally feel that supposedly $80K goodness
I have to say, OMG, is she one smooth tigress, or what!?!
1. Only one "restricted performance" this morning, which went away after restarting and so far did not come back. So how do I find out what the complaint was? I drove very gently, alowing car to warm up and than I noticed the orange light and all!???

2. My rear speakers seem to only make low frequency boom, much like subwoofer and when I try to fade sound to the rear, I can only hear the low booming. Front seem to sound very nice though. Am I missing something here?

3. Low cooland warning came on one time, so I topped about half qt. of orange coolant and it seems to be gone since then. Where is that coolant level sensor and why only half qt. makes so much difference?

4. Also, I see some pictures with clock dial on navigation screen, however mine only does Jaguar logo and little digital clock in the corner, how do I switch to the manual dial option?

Thank you in advance, your help is always appreciated!!!

Old 02-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Mish_Mish
Finally, I pulled my XKR off her gynecological chair and drove this entire weekend. After having her on a lift for nearly 2 weeks, working on at least 10 different issues, it was nice to finally feel that supposedly $80K goodness
I have to say, OMG, is she one smooth tigress, or what!?!
1. Only one "restricted performance" this morning, which went away after restarting and so far did not come back. So how do I find out what the complaint was? I drove very gently, alowing car to warm up and than I noticed the orange light and all!???

2. My rear speakers seem to only make low frequency boom, much like subwoofer and when I try to fade sound to the rear, I can only hear the low booming. Front seem to sound very nice though. Am I missing something here?

3. Low coolant warning came on one time, so I topped about half qt. of orange coolant and it seems to be gone since then. Where is that coolant level sensor and why only half qt. makes so much difference?

4. Also, I see some pictures with clock dial on navigation screen, however mine only does Jaguar logo and little digital clock in the corner, how do I switch to the manual dial option?

Thank you in advance, your help is always appreciated!!!
1. Check if she logged any fault codes with a code reader.

2. If you cycle throught the 'MODE' button on the headunit, eventually you will reach the 'SW' (subwoofer) volume setting, perhaps it is too high, or the BASS setting is too high.

3. Level sensor is in the fill tank, perhaps there was some air that just needed to bleed out. See if it happens again.

4. It is not a selectable option. The later version nav. DVD has the analog clock instead of the leaper. The latest version is only a year or two newer, so it may not be worth the upgrade, unless you are really in love with the analog clock.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 02-28-2011 at 10:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kvmentor (02-28-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
1. Check if she logged any fault codes with a code reader.

2. If you cycle throught the 'MODE' button on the headunit, eventually you will reach the 'SW' (subwoofer) volume setting, perhaps it is too high, or the BASS setting is too high.

3. Level sensor is in the fill tank, perhaps there was some air that just needed to bleed out. See if it happens again.
I checked the MODE on radio and it is all in default setting, bass is normal, SW is at 1. I think I am simply not getting any general sound range on the rear speakers.

checked colant reservoir, it has 3 hoses going out of it, but no wires.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Not sure about your radio, there might be an issue with your power amp.

Look again, the coolant sensor is there, it is underneath the resevoir, toward the end near the firewall.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

one small addition...

2. The system is operating normally, there are no 'mids' or 'highs' in the rear...bass only for the convertibles.

4. whitexkr is correct, check your disc, the latest version is Jaguar P/N is 4W83-10E898-GA , Alpine P/N is BM9JG91F, copyright 2003 IIRC. This one will get you the clock and a possible update to the maps. Ebay might score you one for $125 or so, or contact me via PM for another option.

WhiteXKR (02-28-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

I think on the Nav unit he's wondering how to get out of clock mode and into nav mode. On the bottom left there is a little knob. It's kinda like a joystick. If you push it in it will take you into nav mode, then you can navigate through all of the settings and stuff with the little joystick. Pushing it in is the same as clicking the button on a mouse.

By the way. Are you from Russia or Ukraine or someplace? I've noticed that you drop the articles "the" and "a" sometimes, and because of that every time I read your posts I imagine them being spoken with a Russian accent! LOL!

Old 02-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Damn waterboy beat me to it, yes you dont have anything but low response in the rear speakers, normal

WhiteXKR (02-28-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I think on the Nav unit he's wondering how to get out of clock mode and into nav mode. On the bottom left there is a little knob. It's kinda like a joystick. If you push it in it will take you into nav mode, then you can navigate through all of the settings and stuff with the little joystick. Pushing it in is the same as clicking the button on a mouse.

By the way. Are you from Russia or Ukraine or someplace? I've noticed that you drop the articles "the" and "a" sometimes, and because of that every time I read your posts I imagine them being spoken with a Russian accent! LOL!
I am of Russian origin, it very perceptive of you my friend
I do drop occassional article, or two, but only for the sake of staying foreign and keeping my authentic flavor

P.S. thank all y'all for helpin' me out, you hear?!

Old 02-28-2011, 11:25 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Mish_Mish
P.S. thank all y'all for helpin' me out, you hear?!
Hey Brutal, I think that was meant for you and I thanks Mish^2

Old 03-01-2011, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Were you able to get your nav unit working the way you wanted?

Old 03-01-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Were you able to get your nav unit working the way you wanted?
Apparently I need new DVD to upgrade to the manual clock dial look.
At this point, I will not be investing in upgrading crap into less of a crap and possibly will consider installing that modern navigation piggy back system.