XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I repaint the XK8 this color?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Should I repaint the XK8 this color?

I finally got the XK8 back with a rebuilt engine and it's ready for cosmetic work! I wanted to see what you guys thought if I painted the 1998 XK8 Ultimate Black Metallic like the new models. Would the Ultimate Black match with the Tan interior and Tan top that I have? I've never seen that combination before so share some of your thoughts. I also want to put black 18" rims and drilled/slotted rotors.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

I don't like black rims. I think the black would go OK with the tan interior, but not with the tan top.

If you're going to do a drastic color change like that, are you also going to paint all of the hidden areas that are only seen when the doors, trunk, and hood are open? If not, it might look like a cheap repaint.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:38 PM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Repaint

I think you'll find a repaint to be cost prohibitive if done right. As Rev Sam states, to do all the "nooks and crannies" involves a lot of time and trouble of removing essentially every molding, chrome piece, light socket, etc., etc. Additionally, any indication of a repaint, and one's reaction would be WHY - wrecked, totalled? Also, the paint code on the car, obviously, will no longer match the car's color. If black is what you're after, it probably would be less expensive to sell and buy, or trade.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:08 PM

Thank you for your comments. Yes, I would have the whole car repainted including inside the door panels, trunk lid, etc... I am concerned mostly with how the black paint and the tan top would look. I heard that you can dye the material black also, but I think that will look like crap and I don't want to risk it. As far as selling it, I thought about it but I actually want to keep this car and make it my project car. This car is actually for my younger brother who just came back from deployment. I'm trying to make the car to his specifications, but I wanted all your guys' feedback. I want to explain to him what we can do and what other options we have.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Rev and Jag, if you market the car later it may raise questions. Around here a repaint back to same color with lifetime warranty is $4500. - $5000. Full color change sounds scary on the budget.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Actually, black/tan is a nice combination, though you don't see it with the tan top as much as you used to. I see, however, that you have that really pretty met. red on yours now. I wouldn't change that if it were me, but I happen to like that red. I have had a number of cars done with complete color changes over the years, and while it used to be reasonable, it has become stupidly expensive. The point about "why" is very valid, too. Remember that black shows every flaw and polishing mark, as well as dirt.

But you know what....it's your car, and if you enjoy it enough to keep it for the long haul, do whatever makes you feel best about it.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

I am doing a color change at the moment from carnivale red to stratus grey which is a new model color....... Everything is being done at a princely sum of $9000 The interior of this car is Oatmeal, should look OK against the black/grey

From this

To this

This price was for a bare metal respray, I spent a week just removing paint, it is a very long process and very expensive, why not go for a cheaper option and get the car wrapped, at least you could take it off if you wished

Old 10-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I knew I saw one on eBay last night. This link has lots of photos with a Black / Tan XK8.

Jaguar : XK | eBay

Old 10-27-2011, 02:44 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Much as I admire XKRacer's work, I can't understand these customers who plough £1000s into a car that's not actually worth much more. A colour change is massively expensive and you will never get your money back. If it were me, I would either respray the same colour, vinyl wrap the bodywork, or sell the car and buy another one in the colour I wanted.

I agree with Rev on the black wheels - ugh! Black wheels have been fashionable for a couple of years, but will look really aftermarket on a car that went out of production 5 years ago.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Frog
Much as I admire XKRacer's work, I can't understand these customers who plough £1000s into a car that's not actually worth much more.

You are looking at it the wrong way.

Nobody modifies a car and expect to get there money back, it is not an investment, more of a statement.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
You are looking at it the wrong way.

Nobody modifies a car and expect to get there money back, it is not an investment, more of a statement.
AMEN brother!!

Having had black wheels on my white vette and putting them on my friends vette(color black rose), they looked GREAT. Purists hate change, me I am with XKRacer, I want to make a statement. Black and tan look great, in fact it is one of my favorite drinks!!
I do not like wraps, because they fade and wear out quickly, repaint and do it right and when the women stare at you in your car, you will know it is worth the effort, unless you are married, then you smile on the inside and tell your wife how wonderful she is or anything else you can think of to get that 'What have you been up too' look off her face.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:37 AM
Veteran Member

LOL...... I am fitting a set of Paris to my XKR which I have had painted in Black Chrome, keeping the stainless trims and making up my own wheel centres to a certain degree, I like black wheels

Old 10-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Regardless of what painters say, black or BRG are very tricky colours if you are seeking absolute perfection. I had my BRG XJS done at the best shop in town; stripped to bare metal, all panels removed from the frame, wet sanded in between the last few coats, as well as the clear when it was all done....the car does not look as good as I was expecting it to look. It looks very nice. But not what I thought I would get for what I paid. I have already accepted the fact that I will have to live with the work or: a) spend 35k on another repaint or b) send it to the Rolls Royce factory for a repaint...neither of which is going to happen. (I would if I could) If you are prepared for something that does not look 100% assembly line, then go for it. Painters and restoration shops will tell you that they can match a luxury assembly line job. Even at concours, I have yet to see a repainted black or BRG car that has the butter-like absolute fluid finish of an original job.
OTOH, owners of almost any other color are able to get away with cheaper 2K-5K jobs and have a perfect job done, indistiguishable from the original.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I don't know Spike, after the passenger side of my car was vandalized I had a local shop fix the damage and the side he fixed actually looks better than the factory paint on the other side (and I'm very picky) He laid down a beautiful coat of BRG.

I haven't weighed in on the original question yet. I'm pretty much a purist, but I'm in favor of a complete repaint in the new color. If you have to respray the entire car anyway, to me it is worth the extra effort and expense (although if you do the stripping yourself, it probably isn't that much more) to repaint it in a color you know you will never see on the same vintage XK.

That said, I'd avoid the black wheels. Silver is nice and classy. Chrome, although I'm not usually a fan, also looks good with Black.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by K.Westra
I don't know Spike, after the passenger side of my car was vandalized I had a local shop fix the damage and the side he fixed actually looks better than the factory paint on the other side (and I'm very picky) He laid down a beautiful coat of BRG.
Hi Keith, not to derail this topic, but did they wet-sand yours in between coats and on the final clear??. Everyone keeps on telling me my car looks perfect, but there are some angles that are just not as flattering in my eyes. (Just trying to figure out if I am insane)

I agree on the black wheels. Go with silver

Old 10-28-2011, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I'm not sure what they did, but it sure looks good.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
Regardless of what painters say, black or BRG are very tricky colours if you are seeking absolute perfection. I had my BRG XJS done at the best shop in town; stripped to bare metal, all panels removed from the frame, wet sanded in between the last few coats, as well as the clear when it was all done....the car does not look as good as I was expecting it to look. It looks very nice. But not what I thought I would get for what I paid. I have already accepted the fact that I will have to live with the work or: a) spend 35k on another repaint or b) send it to the Rolls Royce factory for a repaint...neither of which is going to happen. (I would if I could) If you are prepared for something that does not look 100% assembly line, then go for it. Painters and restoration shops will tell you that they can match a luxury assembly line job. Even at concours, I have yet to see a repainted black or BRG car that has the butter-like absolute fluid finish of an original job.
OTOH, owners of almost any other color are able to get away with cheaper 2K-5K jobs and have a perfect job done, indistiguishable from the original.

If I was not to get a paint job and least twice as good as a factory finish I would feel quite disgusted at myself. A factory finish often has a moderately peeley finish, they keep the paint thicker so it does not run.
The best finish is a gun finish, but to get away with that, you have to have a excellent booth and excellent equipment, you yourself also have to be top notch, one old paint sprayer always told me, "the art of a good paint finish is a controlled run", nigh on impossible to do.

The other problem you get with paint finishes that have been flat and polished, after a period of time (I am not talking long maybe a few days or a week), they tend to dull off a bit, particularly on the edges or in the corners, what you need to do is leave it for about 3 months, then get a good detail guy in to give it a full mop and wax, it will look a million dollars and last....

The following users liked this post:
2002XK8Orlando (11-06-2011)
Old 10-29-2011, 05:44 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
Regardless of what painters say, black or BRG are very tricky colours if you are seeking absolute perfection. I had my BRG XJS done at the best shop in town; stripped to bare metal, all panels removed from the frame, wet sanded in between the last few coats, as well as the clear when it was all done....
Interesting testimony. I had to get my rear bumper resprayed after some jerk backed into it and then drove off w/o leaving details. It cost me $400, but I was astonished by how well they'd matched the colour and sheen. Maybe I'm not picky enough, but to me it looks 100% factory.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:03 AM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't think you have to change the color of your car to make a statement. The car itself is the statement . In my area, from May to Sept. I might see one XK a week on the road. From Sept. through April none.
These cars turn heads no matter what color they are. Had a respray done 2 years ago on my '98 XK8 convert. The clear coat started cracking all over and there were tons of stone chips on the front of the car. This is my daily driver. I went cheap ($1,700) and got cheap. I had to bring it back 3 times to get rid of the orange peel. Will most likely have it done again after the winter. This time I'm going to do my home work and get it done right. If I ever sell the car, which I doubt, I don't want any negotiation because of a color change will be staying with BRG. Jack

Old 11-04-2011, 10:52 AM

After much discussion with my brother and reading your posts, we have decided to keep the factory color (dark red) and repaint just the areas that need repainting such as the boot, bonnet, and front windshield frame. This would be a lot cheaper and the car will still turn heads. Now the question is wheels. We for sure want 20" rims with sport tires. What are your thoughts between chrome rims and black rims with chrome lip? Any of your suggestions are welcome. Feel free to give me brand names etc. so I can take a look at them and compare looks and prices. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Should I repaint the XK8 this color?