XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sluggish response-No acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sluggish response-No acceleration

Hi all. I believe I know what is going on but I'd like a little support in my thought process before I jack up the car. Lately I have had some running issues I am attributing to the need to replace the fuel filter. Initially the car idle ok then nearly stall when I depressed the gas pedal. After sitting a while it would be fine. The it would repeat, and occasionally after sitting it would run fine until I depressed the pedal all the way down andthen it would almost stall. No DTC codes during any of the episodes. Newer MAFS, good fuel pressure (40 lbs) at rail. Any other toughts before I put her up? Thanks

Old 11-07-2013, 07:50 AM
Received 139 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulsXK8
Hi all. I believe I know what is going on but I'd like a little support in my thought process before I jack up the car. Lately I have had some running issues I am attributing to the need to replace the fuel filter. Initially the car idle ok then nearly stall when I depressed the gas pedal. After sitting a while it would be fine. The it would repeat, and occasionally after sitting it would run fine until I depressed the pedal all the way down andthen it would almost stall. No DTC codes during any of the episodes. Newer MAFS, good fuel pressure (40 lbs) at rail. Any other toughts before I put her up? Thanks
Fuel filter has to be the cheapest thing to eliminate before getting further involved- you can get a Fram unit from Walmart for around $10(I'm assuming it's the one with screw fittings on your year). If the car has the same symptoms after the filter change I'd check the fuel pressure under different load conditions - the pump might be giving notice?

The following users liked this post:
PaulsXK8 (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

One member had a blocked cat converter that caused a loss of power w/no CE light or codes. Keep in the back of your mind if all else fails. Also check the throttle body and make sure the butterfly is not hanging up....clean up the edge and body with some cleaner and a rag.

PaulsXK8 (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulsXK8

Check the ground wire on the passenger side front exhaust area if its green and probably is, is a main cause for this problem.

Another cause could be the nut in the driver side door area fuse box,its bright gold, tighten it back down, it loosens up but supplies voltage to a lot of stuff.

Continue to run a check engine light check, as well, the computer is slow of picking up some sensors that fail.

Attached Thumbnails Sluggish response-No acceleration-img_4542.jpg  

Last edited by aode06; 11-07-2013 at 11:38 AM.
PaulsXK8 (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 10:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Resolved

Thanks to all who chimed in. I changed the filter today. If I had to bet on it, I'd swear it was the original filter from 2001... The filter actually would not pur from the engine side, and the fuel in the filter that came out the tank side was almost black. Unfortunately after the filter went in the car wouldn't start. Checking everything that it could be it turns out the MAFS I had bought 30 days ago failed. the only way to get the cat to run was to unplug it. So I get a performance restriction of 3000 rpm. Will work on that tomorrow... But still love my Jag!!

Old 11-07-2013, 10:46 PM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

Once had someone steal the leaper off my XJ6, but never a whole engine. Yikes!