XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, about those LS swapped Jags (Jaguar Specialties)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

XJ8's were $65K in 1998 and were bought by rich people. Cadillac Devilles were in the $40's and were bought by old people or minority groups that think of Cadillac as a status symbol. Night/Day Demographic Groups.

A Catera is a rebadged Opel and a X-Type is a Ford Contour/Modeo. What do either have to do with LS motors?

You realize you are confirming everything I posted about you earlier, don't you? Go back and read them so I don't have to repost them.

Do you believe "internet polls" too? Do you know anecdotal evidence isn't really evidence? Less problems posted on an internet website could mean more cars have already been sent to the crusher. I know I trip over X-types when I go to the junkyard. Did you search 1984 AMC Eagle problems, too. Mine was trouble free.

All of that has zero to do with the reliability of an LS drivetrain and it actually Makes the point that someone should swap an LS motor into a Jaguar, where the ONLY problems are the cupholders break and the factory motors self destruct. Fix the cupholders and you are all set.

The following users liked this post:
primaz (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
primaz,

My first new car was a 1974 Datsun 260Z. I kept it for 13 years and put nearly 200,000 miles on it before I was finally willing to sell it to the son of a work colleague of mine at the time. I knew almost nothing about DIY automotive service and repairs when I purchased it, and it became the car that gradually taught me how to DIY. If I could have it back today in showroom condition, I would grab it in a heartbeat....

Let's see some photos of your various 240Zs. I would like to do some reminiscing about my beloved Z....
It's never too late to buy a 240Z, while the prices are climbing, but if you are a DIY you can find some decent cars around the $12-20K range that with a little work will sell for a lot more. You can't just have one car

If you really know 240Z's the factory has ugly seam welds under each taillight to join the body sections, these were welded and sanded smooth to eliminate any seams

911 flag mirrors, 16x8.5" wheels with 245 wide tires without any flares

Datsun Spirit 2.8 built engine with Datsun racing close ratio 5 speed trans

3.0 liter Datsun Spirit with custom porting from DL Potter Engineering but still running stock SU's but both intake and stock exhaust are ported to match the ported head

The famous Primadona Z car that will eat 911's for lunch and F40's for dinner...

The following 3 users liked this post by primaz:
Jon89 (04-23-2019), michaelh (04-24-2019), Ungn (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member

Last summer I ran across a nearly rust free 260Z at the south dallas picknpull. I don't what the guy was thinking. 3 month max and its the crusher.

Nearly 20 years ago, one of my friends had an SBC/700R4 swapped 280Z and he and I would always grudge race at the local dragstrips with My T-type, then I tried taller tires and overnight it was .4 seconds and 4 mph faster (Stock Buick 3.8L's don't like to rev over 5K at all) and then he became my hype man, because racing me wasn't fun anymore. LS power would be unreal.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Cool

Originally Posted by Ungn
XJ8's were $65K in 1998 and were bought by rich people. Cadillac Devilles were in the $40's and were bought by old people or minority groups that think of Cadillac as a status symbol. Night/Day Demographic Groups.

A Catera is a rebadged Opel and a X-Type is a Ford Contour/Modeo. What do either have to do with LS motors?

You realize you are confirming everything I posted about you earlier, don't you? Go back and read them so I don't have to repost them.

Do you believe "internet polls" too? Do you know anecdotal evidence isn't really evidence? Less problems posted on an internet website could mean more cars have already been sent to the crusher. I know I trip over X-types when I go to the junkyard. Did you search 1984 AMC Eagle problems, too. Mine was trouble free.

All of that has zero to do with the reliability of an LS drivetrain and it actually Makes the point that someone should swap an LS motor into a Jaguar, where the ONLY problems are the cupholders break and the factory motors self destruct. Fix the cupholders and you are all set.
UNGN, you are totally right but I really do not think he is listening to facts. The LS V8's have become the most popular engine to swap into so many cars for the simple fact as I have experienced in real life owning a fleet of them; they just last a darn long time and they are incredibly powerful and light. No other engine is as popular for the V8 category for engine swaps.

SKMILII, posted that he had to rebuild his engine at 170,000 miles and he was glad to see this thread and that there are options now. Hopefully his rebuild will last as long as the factory engine as many times people cut corners on rebuilds not replacing all of the bearings, not balancing or blue printing the engine, etc. To me that already shows that someone whom is really taking care of their factory engine is only getting about half of what many LS owners get in miles before the engine needs to be replaced or rebuilt. If you really take care of an LS it is very doable to expect 300,000 + miles. Jaguar owners are a strange group as this thread shows, while there seems to be more people open minded about an LS engine there are always a few people that will think that is sacrilegious and continue to not listen to any opinions, facts, etc. and just keep ranting. I have never seen that in other brands of cars and I have been a car guy all my life with many friends that are enthusiasts and they also have not encountered that narrow mindedness...

Old 04-22-2019, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

Last summer I ran across a nearly rust free 260Z at the south dallas picknpull. I don't what the guy was thinking. 3 month max and its the crusher.

Nearly 20 years ago, one of my friends had an SBC/700R4 swapped 280Z and he and I would always grudge race at the local dragstrips with My T-type, then I tried taller tires and overnight it was .4 seconds and 4 mph faster (Stock Buick 3.8L's don't like to rev over 5K at all) and then he became my hype man, because racing me wasn't fun anymore. LS power would be unreal.
Yes an early Z with an LS are scary fast. For me I am fortunate to have resources to build at Nissan Skyline as those are the one of the fastest 6 cylinder engines that will easily put down 700-1000 HP that is still a reliable street engine. Yes it is more expensive than an LS but for me I don't care You can swap an more stock Skyline RB engine put a bigger turbo and do some other minor mods and get 450-600 HP and be reliable but when you go for the HP in the 1000 HP range then you need a more professional internal build but they are so dam reliable and fast. I still love an LS 240z and there are so many options to make that swap easy now for the 240Z such as Apex Engineering's tubular crossmember that you can order for a stock engine or ask for it made for a Skyline RB or a GM LS, and Techno Toy's rear conversion to use a Infinity rear end and now a guy has just created an inexpensive Ford 8.8 IRS kit for the Z cars.

If you have not seen a built RB check this out,

but you might prefer this

cjd777 (04-23-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 10:14 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by primaz
To me that already shows that someone whom is really taking care of their factory engine is only getting about half of what many LS owners get in miles before the engine needs to be replaced or rebuilt. If you really take care of an LS it is very doable to expect 300,000 + miles.
He unintentionally neglected to change the time gear because he was misled by somebody. Had he done so his engine would not have required a full rebuild and could have kept on adding to the odometer uninterrupted.

Cargo vans naturally stack up a lot of miles. There are two uncontrolled variables here:

1) I imagine most x308 and x100 owners have other vehicles and don't drive them near the yearly average. If somebody used an XJ for say livery service then this one would be canceled out.

2) The cars that did succumb to timing gear failures were put out of service for a while or worse. Further contributing to them covering less miles.

I have never seen that in other brands of cars and I have been a car guy all my life with many friends that are enthusiasts and they also have not encountered that narrow mindedness...
It is appreciation for the cars as they were meant to be in their unadulterated form. As I have stated before, if you lump them they're not Jaguars anymore. I feel the lumping sector is narrow-minded towards originality. I do appreciate all car guys even those I don't agree with.

Yes, I am allergic to GM but like Ford a lot. Even then I would not think to put a 302 Windsor or whatever into a Jag.

Last edited by AJ16er; 04-22-2019 at 10:16 PM.
89 Jacobra (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member

The Dry sump on the 427 allows for amazing low hood. It looks less than 27" from the ground.at the base of the windshield.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member

The Jaguar engines do not last as long as an LS V8 and that is a fact, so it is a good option for others to consider. This thread is about the LS V8 Jaguars and you already admit you use the derogatory term "lump" so you do not appreciate other car guys and try to impose your view while ignoring the facts people have posted.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 585 Likes on 392 Posts

Before this thread becomes too stale, one thing the Jaguar purists haven't mentioned is TIME. I would wager that the (less than 10) 4.0 or 4.2 engines that have been rebuilt by forum members have all taken close to a year to rebuild the engine. (Talk to Deuce2000) Majority of the forum members who have had engine problems have put in lower mileage running engines. Since there are no longer any factory long blocks available, and dealers have to pay extra to get rebuilt long blocks, it is very time consuming to get your car running again.

I bet you can put in a LSx based engine with a Jaguar Specialties kit in less than 3 months. So while you are still chasing down custom bearings, pistons, and a hundred other issues while trying to get more HP out of your bored out and sleeved block, and keep the rebuild under $15K, you could put in a 600+HP LSx engine and be done with it.

Last edited by Tijoe; 05-03-2019 at 09:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-03-2019, 11:42 AM

@Tijoe Perhaps @sklimii will share if it took a year for the shop to rebuild his engine.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:27 PM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

no did not take that long. The car was out of commission for 4 months, but part of that was because the shop was backed up plus I owed the IRS. Once I gave the go ahead, it really only took about 6-8 weeks

Old 05-03-2019, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 585 Likes on 392 Posts

Took me over 5 months to have my block sleeved with 92mm Darton sleeves by one of the best sleeve installers in the USA. (8 weeks for Darton to fabricate the sleeves for the block, 3+ months wait line before the sleeves were installed.

Sklimiii. I presume you had a stock engine rebuilt. N/A or S/C? Stock crank? Stock rods? Stock bearings? Any extra head work like porting, stiffer valve springs,

I should have clarified that it takes a long time to rebuild a 4.2 engine with the plan to get more HP out of it. Stock engine rebuild wont give you the comparable power you can get with a LSx install.
A N/A LS3 engine starts at 430HP, about the same as a 4.2 SC engine. You can easily get another 200HP out a LSx engine, versus modding a 4.2 S/C engine.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

I'm just a couple days from selling my Turbo Trans Am (buyer has a plane ticket and is flying in on Tuesday) and I'll have an empty garage stall (it usually takes up two full stalls for a drivetrain swap), so it appears I will calling Jag Specialties, soon.

Old 05-04-2019, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,323 Likes on 735 Posts

Look forward to your new thread with the trials and tribulations.
Hope it turns out as you wish and don't shed to much blood.
Really wish I were closer, I'd like to be there every minute to help with this.
Are you going to get a crate engine of have you got a source for good used ones. Be careful with all the flooding around your area, might not be a bad idea to open it up if used.
Good luck.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:22 AM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

Originally Posted by Tijoe
Sklimiii. I presume you had a stock engine rebuilt. N/A or S/C? Stock crank? Stock rods? Stock bearings? Any extra head work like porting, stiffer valve springs.
4.0L N/A - stock rebuild - no extra work

Old 05-04-2019, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cjd777
Look forward to your new thread with the trials and tribulations.
Hope it turns out as you wish and don't shed to much blood.
Really wish I were closer, I'd like to be there every minute to help with this.
Are you going to get a crate engine of have you got a source for good used ones. Be careful with all the flooding around your area, might not be a bad idea to open it up if used.
Good luck.
I bought a "99 camaro years ago for an LS swap donor. It was rebuilt with heads/cam. I have a perfect T56 magnum out of my race car we crashed last summer, so the drivetrain is sourced.

The crash also broke my back, so the swap may go a little slow, but I"d like to finish it this year. The car is emissions exempt in 2021, so the longer I procrastinate, the less I have to do.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tijoe

I should have clarified that it takes a long time to rebuild a 4.2 engine with the plan to get more HP out of it. Stock engine rebuild wont give you the comparable power you can get with a LSx install.
A N/A LS3 engine starts at 430HP, about the same as a 4.2 SC engine. You can easily get another 200HP out a LSx engine, versus modding a 4.2 S/C engine.
A N/A 5.0 AJ133 can put out between 525 and 625 bhp. Not bad for five litres, eh?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...xkr-vs-xkr-gt/

Old 05-04-2019, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AJ16er
A N/A 5.0 AJ133 can put out between 525 and 625 bhp. Not bad for five litres, eh?

neat. A GT350 makes 525HP NA with only .2 more L but unlike Genelozzi's Jags, its street legal.

We are talking about street cars here, not race cars. I could build a 5.7L LS motor that makes 650 HP N/A (using cast off NASCAR parts), but it would suck to live with and wouldn't be compatible with an X100's 3:1 rear axle ratio.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:43 PM

neat. A GT350 makes 525HP NA with only .2 more L but unlike Genelozzi's Jags, its street legal.
You could follow his recipe with a very street legal 5.0 X150. It's the engine that's the point here.

Old 05-04-2019, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AJ16er

But that is a fully race prepared engine that will easily cost over $30K if not more like over 50K. The LS can achieve the same power for pennies compared to that and it will be a streetable engine. The Jaguar engine is weak compared to an LS as for the same money an LS will be easily 2-3 x the HP as an 1000 to 15000 LS is still less than the cost of that race engine and you can drive it on the street. For around $7-10K you can get a crate LS that has 500-600HP https://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-s...ur-next-build/ That is a new crate motor, so if you rebuild an LS that is more like half that cost.

The LS is the most popular engine swap because it simply produces more HP, lighter, more reliable, inexpensive, and with all of that there are so many companies providing all of the accessories to make the swap easy. You can many computer programmers, ECU's, etc. for the LS so you can tune the computer for your exact street needs, try that on an Jaguar as you will have an almost impossible task to get a Jaguar engine tuner to reprogram your ECU and that is just one of the many issues that limit the Jaguar engines performance options. You can get more HP out of it but it will cost you a fortune and a lot of aggravation dealing with the many engineering issues to overcome since nobody makes products for them for performance.

Last edited by primaz; 05-04-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Ungn (05-04-2019)

Quick Reply: So, about those LS swapped Jags (Jaguar Specialties)