XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sources for interior switches?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts
Question Sources for interior switches?

Just wondering if the dealer is the only place to find something like a sport mode switch. Looks like mine is not functioning properly and the transmission is stuck in sport mode (unless I tape the thing down...)

Anybody have a favorite source?

Old 08-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts
Default eBay

You can search eBay for switches like this I buy from Gaudin (they discount over the web). Since these things wear I personally prefer to buy new.

Direct JPLV Porsche Parts.com

There are several on eBay at the moment, here:

Jaguar XJ8 XK8 1996 2002 Sport Switch Full Working Order | eBay

Good luck! (Replaced mine once as well, the switch cover was broken when I bought the car).

The following users liked this post:
BurgXK8 (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by enderle
You can search eBay for switches like this I buy from Gaudin (they discount over the web). Since these things wear I personally prefer to buy new.

Direct JPLV Porsche Parts.com

There are several on eBay at the moment, here:

Jaguar XJ8 XK8 1996 2002 Sport Switch Full Working Order | eBay

Good luck! (Replaced mine once as well, the switch cover was broken when I bought the car).
Thanks - are those switches pretty much the same from one car to the next or are they year-specific? I'm looking for one to go into a 2003 XKR with the 6HP26 tranny.

EDIT - never mind - just got off the phone with the dealer and after providing a VIN he said it would be over $200 for a new one and yes, they tend to be vehicle specific. Might try to repair the old one if possible before taking a gamble on eBay.

Last edited by BurgXK8; 08-09-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

The sport switches are all the same across years and even between the XJ and XK. The part you need is: LNC6220AA. If you put the part number in ebay you get a few options for $25 or so. Gaudin has a new one listed for $130.

Looking in the parts catalog there is also an LXD6220AA listed as being for 'R' performance options (both S/C and N/A) that is the exact same price. I don't know what the difference could be but there is nothing in the wiring schematics to suggest it has any more function, so maybe it's just a button with an 'R' cap instead of 'S' or some such.

I have a switch I picked up on ebay to replace a missing 'S' cover from the one in my car. It's all but worthless except to someone like you who has a bad switch and a (presumably) good cover. You can have it for the cost of mailing if you can make use of it. Drop me a PM if interested.

Sources for interior switches?-photo1.jpg

Old 08-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The Mode Switches are different from the ZF to the Mercedes gearboxes (They will plug in but NOT operate).

When I worked at the dealer I had an XKR 4.0 for inop sport mode. I diagnosed it to be a faulty switch but then the numbers were different so I guessed someone installed a NA switch in a SC car.

6HP26 are probably all the same.

bob gauff

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
BurgXK8 (08-10-2013), H20boy (08-31-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 11:40 AM

Thanks - mine works after some fiddling but it will probably need replacement sooner rather than later. I presume there is a different part number for the 6HP26 variety.

And just when I was ready to forget about the ghosts of British cars past, I looked at the side of the switch removed from my car and whaddya know - "Made in England"

....I'm so glad they don't build airliners.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The British build many Airline/Aerospace components like the Rolls Royce engines eg.

The Concord SST was a collaboration between the French/British.

The Hawker Siddeley BIZ jets bought by Raytheon.

The Harrier 'JUMP JET'. etc. etc. etc.

bob gauff

Old 08-12-2013, 11:35 PM

Not sure what the current state of affairs is with British Aviation, but the Harrier Jump Jet was always a noisy, overpriced turd and is finally being retired. Ditto for Concorde (as much as I liked it!).

But yes, you are right there's a few good examples and maybe I am being a bit unfair. But personally I've had more problems with British made switches and electronic fixtures than any other - and I've owned a lot of cars from many different places. Wish it were not the case, but the brits cannot build anything electronic as well as the Asians/Germans, hell - Indians.

Q: Why don't the British make computers?
A: They could not figure out how to make them leak oil.

The following users liked this post:
Bob OB (08-22-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 12:46 PM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BurgXK8
Not sure what the current state of affairs is with British Aviation, but the Harrier Jump Jet was always a noisy, overpriced turd and is finally being retired. Ditto for Concorde (as much as I liked it!).

But yes, you are right there's a few good examples and maybe I am being a bit unfair. But personally I've had more problems with British made switches and electronic fixtures than any other - and I've owned a lot of cars from many different places. Wish it were not the case, but the brits cannot build anything electronic as well as the Asians/Germans, hell - Indians.

Q: Why don't the British make computers?
A: They could not figure out how to make them leak oil.
there is no excuse for your ignorance .there are a lot of brits on this forum.
maybe you should keep your racist remarks to yourself

Old 08-14-2013, 06:54 AM

Jokes, man - jokes. Not sure how there's anything racist about that. Or this:

Q: Why do the English drink warm beer?
A: Because Lucas makes the refrigerators.

The following 2 users liked this post by BurgXK8:
Bob OB (08-22-2013), philhef (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

I got mine from Coventry west. 40.00 and working perfectly!

Old 08-14-2013, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member

That last warm beer joke is toooooo funny!!
And is there any Brit out there that doesn't cringe when they see Lucus on an electrical part, let alone any one else!!
Not one single Lucus part on my former XJS worked properly!! Now that I think about it, same with my TR6 back in 83.
But this thread does beg the question, why is the electrical so fidgety on English cars? Even my 2010 XF has electrical issues!! My friends Merc, same year, has had not one issue!!

Old 08-14-2013, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dennisw
there is no excuse for your ignorance .there are a lot of brits on this forum.
maybe you should keep your racist remarks to yourself
I, being in USA, would like to apologize for that insensitive (albeit funny) joke.
But this should more than get even! This monstrosity is from USA!!
Sources for interior switches?-image.jpg

Thank for the op of the thread I snatched it from!!

Old 08-14-2013, 04:14 PM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Funny Thing

I actually like the color of that car, if I needed another Jag I'd be tempted to buy it and put those wheels on my FX-35. That truck likes them big.

On the British joke thing, realize that some of the best cars in the world are built there now. British Leland and Lucas were embarrassments to them much like the Pinto, Vega and K-Car years were embarrassments to us. The 70s and 80s weren't great years in cars for either country. I owned both a '64 and a '67 E-Type and as long as you had a few fuses on you they ran fine unless you didn't take care of them. My '64 had been owned by a crazy doctor and should have been shot before I bought it.

You should see the Season Ending show from Top Gear this year, it brought tears to my eyes and I'm not even British. The showcased the amazing British Auto industry today, it is pretty impressive. One screw up though they bad mouthed the V8 F-Type (I own one) suggesting it was excessive and they didn't give it to the Stig to drive. How could they not track that car?!?

Last edited by enderle; 08-14-2013 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Added second link.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by philhef
That last warm beer joke is toooooo funny!!
And is there any Brit out there that doesn't cringe when they see Lucus on an electrical part, let alone any one else!!
Not one single Lucus part on my former XJS worked properly!! Now that I think about it, same with my TR6 back in 83.
But this thread does beg the question, why is the electrical so fidgety on English cars? Even my 2010 XF has electrical issues!! My friends Merc, same year, has had not one issue!!
I read both of those jokes on a Triumph message board years ago. And yes, the electrical system on a TR7 was abysmal (been there, done that). If only Ford bought them also, but I digress. Another example the British electronics spoiling the stew were the Sterling cars from the late eighties:

Curbside Classic: 1987 Sterling 825 SL – Turkey In The Grass

The Japanese parts were fine; alas Lucas worked his prince of darkness magic. As for British cars, I think Morgan is the only British-owned manufacturer left. The rest either went out of business or have been foreign owned for quite some time now.

Last edited by BurgXK8; 08-14-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have lived all over the world and can agree that Americans (a term that is very disliked in Latin America) can be culturally and geographically ignorant - sometimes embarrassingly so. But so is the rest of the world.

Given the friendly and not so friendly ribbing we Americans endure from Jeremy Clarkson every episode - I thought the jokes above were perfectly amusing. All in good fun mate.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:00 PM
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Don't worry, we are not all offended, otherwise Family Guy wouldn't be so popular here.

Just to burst one myth though, we get many USAF forces where I live and I always enjoy seeing their expression when they try our beer and discover it is not warm. Real Ale is kept cool, but not chilled as chilling it kills the flavour. Lager is chilled, but it has less flavour to start with. The other myth is that it is flat. True, a real ale is not carbonated, but it is a live beer which has a natural sparkle if properly kept.

We all have our stereotypes and you will find them if that is what you are looking for, so I will leave this with a 'tally ho old chap'.

Oh, and on the aviation bit, we also make the wings for Airbus. In fact, we make the wings and engines, ie. those bits which drive them forward and keep them in the air. We leave the less complicated bits (including the switches) to the French and Germans.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default It's a cat's life...

Dennisw, Lighten up.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts

Just to keep this thread on topic, I don't know where to find Mode switches, but I am intrigued to know the difference in how they signal the Sport mode between the two transmissions. You'd think it would be just a simple Open or Close of a circuit.

On the subject of aircraft, I've always been intrigued by the story of the de Havilland Comet. Although it was perhaps the first public example of the importance of application of analysis of metal fatigue caused by repetitive cycling, it went on to a long life manufactured by de Havilland, and later Hawker Siddley. Also fascinating is the apparent prediction by the novelist Nevil Shute of the failure of a commercial aircraft by the same mode of failure - but that's another story (No Highway).

Also on the subIject of the truly fascinating British aircraft industry, I was floored some years ago to read of Sir Thomas Sopwith, who not only founded the aircraft company of his name that produced the Sopwith Camel, famous not only for its role in WWI, but also familiar to anyone following Snoopy's antics in the Peanuts comic strip. And, Sopwith went on to chair the Hawker aircraft company, later teaming with Siddley, to produce, among other distinctive aircraft, the fore-named Harrier. The Harrier may be considered by some to be over-priced and expensive, but just think of what it does! It's an amazing bit of engineering and ingenuity from the 60's.

Sorry, off the soapbox. Now, how about those switches?

All the best,
Steve

Old 08-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob OB
Dennisw, Lighten up.
cant..dont smoke

Quick Reply: Sources for interior switches?