XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the Supercharger Pulley / Air Filter upgrade worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 06:50 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts
Default RE: Is the Supercharger Pulley / Air Filter upgrade worth it?

answer both questions 1)yes 2) yes

Old 10-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

The Eaton is already spinning at its maximum efficiency, hence also why most don't even think of using it for higher pressures that 11 or 12 psi. This doesn't mean you couldn't get more power by spinning it faster, but more that it will cost you more power to turn the Eaton which will generate more heat (and noise) and in the end will not give not much more top end power. Even worse, the engine will consume more fuel because of the inefficiency gets more pronounced, and also more stress on the engine for little gain.

If you would do a dyno and would make sure everything was cooled very well before the run (best time for good hp numbers is in cold climates times), you might get a nice number, but when you are just driving your car and the full system is heated up (especially if you spin the Eaton faster) your 0 - 120 mph (just an example, is legal in Germany) might not be any faster. This is noticeable if you would do several 0-60mph for instance full power runs (which will heat up the system), then you will notice that the top end power will get lower and lower.

What you do feel (pending on how much faster you spin the Eaton) is that you feel some extra power earlier on the power curve, which will give you the feeling it is much faster. So if the price is low and if that is all you look for, then maybe a consideration, but as the gains are relatively low for a heavy car the joy might be short-lived. All depends on where you want to go.

Which brings me to sensation, a better designed exhaust with a nicer tone will give you a bit more performance, but so much more sensation due to the noise. That could be imho the best bang for the buck to start with. Any potential future mod will also benefit fromthis (if you select the right exhaust). That in combination with an air filter packaged in such a way it gets cold air (so not the open cone filters you see under the hood!!!) will give imho a good effect.

My 2 cents,
Andre.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi,

I installed the Mina intake and exhaust on my '01 XK8 and it made a HUGE difference. More power and a much better sound. The OEM intake and exhaust on these cars is severely restricted and the Mina systems really made a difference. I own an '06 XKR now and I'm going to install the Mina system on it. I'd go with that before I did the pulley. BTW, I installed them myself. The Intake is easy and the exhaust wasn't too difficult if you have a little bit of mechanical ability a good jack and some tools. Good Luck!

Jon