XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SuperSport indicates R performance package

Old 08-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Default ?SuperSport indicates R performance package? 2002 vs 2005?

I am confused about options for XKR coupes. Mine is a 2002 so last of the Mercedes transmissions, 18" wheels and regular brakes. The dealer is confused about what was/was not available for my car and if upgrades for handling can be provided

SuperSport?
R Performance Handling Package?
( tauter suspension tuning through uprated springs and antiroll bars and tighter steering )

I drove a 2005 coupe that had 20" wheels but I suspect the real improvement was the R Performance handling package.

If that wasn't available for the 2002 XKR, is it simpler to sell my 2002 XKR and get a 2005 XKR with that package instead of having mine modified?

Local tuner shops tell me they cannot find sway bars or anything else to tighten up the low speed handling...

Last edited by weisberg; 08-22-2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: needs a question mark
Old 08-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

The performance package was available later in 2001 after the introduction of the Silverstone but it would be cheaper probably to get a later model with the additional package on it, most of he later models would have the upgraded brakes, suspension, and wheels, Jaguar was unloading inventory on the final run and was including these options on most every XKR.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 722 Posts

You can pull a fuse that will affect the power steering, in effect, give it some more weight. I don't remember if it was fuse 10 or 12 from the fuse box in the dashboard next to the steering wheel. It's your cheapest option. Give it a try.

Edit: Just did a search on the forum for the thread about the fuse. I noticed it was you who informed us about this. Now I feel like an idiot.

Is the difference between the Supersport R or the performance package and normal really that big? I would've thought stuff like that goes unnoticeable, just like half of the stuff on a Porsche options list.

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 08-22-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

That 2005 was memorable for its drive, yes. The style of my 18" wheels are superior though. Car reviews of the 2003 with the Brembo brakes found the upgraded brakes to be of no difference besides cost

Old 08-22-2013, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

R Handling Pack consist of the following over a stock XKR
High performance Brembo brakes
18" or 20" inch alloy wheels
Jaguar advanced Computer Active Technology Suspension (CATS)
Revised electronic control unit settings and revised damper setting for taut,dynamic handling
Uprated springs and anti-roll bars for increased in stiffness
A re-tuned variable ratio, speed sensitive steering system, giving a very direct feel and pinpoint accuracy
Ride Height is lowered by 10MM, further improving cars stability and poise

Old 04-07-2020, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RCSign
R Handling Pack consist of the following over a stock XKR
High performance Brembo brakes
18" or 20" inch alloy wheels
Jaguar advanced Computer Active Technology Suspension (CATS)
Revised electronic control unit settings and revised damper setting for taut,dynamic handling
Uprated springs and anti-roll bars for increased in stiffness
A re-tuned variable ratio, speed sensitive steering system, giving a very direct feel and pinpoint accuracy
Ride Height is lowered by 10MM, further improving cars stability and poise
Was the pack available on both the Cabrio and the Coupe?

Ken

Old 04-07-2020, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

No, that R handling package was only available on coupes.

The following users liked this post:
RayR (02-06-2023)
Old 04-07-2020, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by ccfulton
No, that R handling package was only available on coupes.
i own an immaculate Jaguar XK8 Cabrio and I am looking to improve the steering feel to make it more precise.
My thoughts have been to do the following:

- replace the rack and pinion by the R Performance one;
- replace the electronic steering module for the R Performance one;
- replace my front and rear rear Anti Roll Bar with the R Performance ones.

What do you think?

I do not have CATS shocks but have installed Arden lowering springs which have worked wonders.

Old 04-07-2020, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

The Convertible is to lose without the coupe top for handling packages.. The Convertible has to have the X braces to help tighten it up....

Billy Clyde

Old 04-07-2020, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bcprice36
The Convertible is to lose without the coupe top for handling packages.. The Convertible has to have the X braces to help tighten it up....

Billy Clyde

Let's assume I wanted to give my XKR coupe more precise steering, is what kbriffa proposed actually going to provide an improvement?

Old 04-07-2020, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

If you want the benefits of the "R" Performance Package, the easiest way to get it would be to trade for a Coupe with the "R" Package... .It would not be cost effective to buy and replace all the parts needed to build one. ....My XKR is an "R" and it handles well but what do I need all of that for? I'm not Racing the Car on Weekends nor do I cruise around at 90 or 100MPH...That's when you need the "R" Package! Other than that, it's kind of useless....

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 04-07-2020, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bcprice36
If you want the benefits of the "R" Performance Package, the easiest way to get it would be to trade for a Coupe with the "R" Package... .It would not be cost effective to buy and replace all the parts needed to build one. ....My XKR is an "R" and it handles well but what do I need all of that for? I'm not Racing the Car on Weekends nor do I cruise around at 90 or 100MPH...That's when you need the "R" Package! Other than that, it's kind of useless....

Billy Clyde in Houston
The R performance cars are hard to come by. If it’s of no use in twisty backroads, then I am well enough with what I have.

I guess, when the time comes, I’ll buy an Alfa 4C as a third car.

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 04-07-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Precise, what does that mean exactly?

I don’t find that the XKR is imprecise so much as a slower ratio than you would expect from say, a 911. New steering rack bushes, tie rod ends and such to take the slop out of system. You can also try adjusting the castor shims, less castor generally speeds up the turn in and reduces that dead on center feeling.

If you have already refreshed the bushings I might suggest that option. My car was previously at max castor and when I rebuild the front coil over I moved one shim to the other side and the steering “feels” better. Generally speaking decreasing castor will improve responsiveness of the steering inputs right off of center.

If you want to increase the ratio of the steering that’s a whole different level of undertaking.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ccfulton
Precise, what does that mean exactly?

I don’t find that the XKR is imprecise so much as a slower ratio than you would expect from say, a 911. New steering rack bushes, tie rod ends and such to take the slop out of system. You can also try adjusting the castor shims, less castor generally speeds up the turn in and reduces that dead on center feeling.

If you have already refreshed the bushings I might suggest that option. My car was previously at max castor and when I rebuild the front coil over I moved one shim to the other side and the steering “feels” better. Generally speaking decreasing castor will improve responsiveness of the steering inputs right off of center.

If you want to increase the ratio of the steering that’s a whole different level of undertaking.
I've got all new bushes on my car, poly in fact, tie rod ends as well as rack bushes. My car handles well, the steering is good. It doesn't have much slop although I could fiddle with castor. A faster ratio steering rack is what I was getting at. All things considered, if I want sports car handling, I would be better served by a hardcore sports car such as the Alfa Romeo 4C which as no power steering to speak of. Maybe one day I could add it to my fleet.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:04 AM

My car very special as it looks today. Original paintwork and never had an addident.

Reupholstered ivory connolly by master upholsterer. Poetic license, could not resist them.

Brembo brakes. The ARDEN FULL CAT BACK elegant exhaust growl adds a touch of sport to this GT.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:06 AM
Default Upgrades on my 2001 MY XK8 Cabrio handling improvements

Hello again and thanks for your interesting replies and attention,

I have owned my 2001 model year XK8 CABRIO for 10 years now and each year looked to improve some aspect of the car as ongoing maintenance. What I have done:
- brakes upgraded to correct 4 pot Brembos; (used and refurbished to new)
- wheels to BBS’s 20” Detroits; (used excellent condition)
- replaced front seats with correct Ivory Recaros reupholstered in Connolly leather by a master upholsterer a few kms away. I did not replace other parts of the interior;
- replaced all FRONT suspension bushes (rubber) & ball joints & anti roll bar bushes & steering rack rubbers and ends;
- replaced cat back exhaust with ARDEN system;
- replaced springs with ARDEN 3cm lowering springs.
The handling, although non CATS & not an XKR, is lovely.
I feel the areas still needing attention are 2:

1) the shocks are standard 20 year olds which I am looking to change with sportier. As of today, I have only found possible standard Bilstein shocks B4 which I have not purchased. Any ideas instead of the B4s?

2) the standard rack seems vague and imprecise so I have just found a used R Performance rack & pinion for $ 200 and purchased a refurb kit for it, new bellows and will have it refurbed to new by my master mechanic os 20 years. I have also got a matching steering control module ($ 20) which will slightly stiffen steering. I believe this should make quite a difference. Any thoughts?

3) should I get the R Performance anti roll bars? $ 300 job here.

With all this done I should have pretty much put the R Pack on. Not sure why the R Pack was not available on the Cabrio.
The shocks will never be the CATS ones but I hope that with a sportier replacement ones and the lovely ARDEN springs this we keep being one hell of a car.

What do you guys think? Is there anything I have left out? Anything I should / could be doing differently?

Old 04-08-2020, 12:11 AM

... forgot to mention, car has done 80k km from new.
i have not replaced any bushes at the rear end, 20 years old.
Any suggestions?

Old 04-08-2020, 12:21 AM
Old 04-08-2020, 12:24 AM
Old 04-08-2020, 03:43 PM
Received 193 Likes on 73 Posts

I don't have any advice to offer on your handling questions.

But your inspirational pictures of your XK8 are absolutely beautiful, well done!

The following users liked this post:
kbriffa (04-08-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SuperSport indicates R performance package