XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Take a look at this pic (belt)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 04:48 PM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Take a look at this Is this the WRONG pulley?

Still curious about how my belt simply snapped. I did find a piece of debris wrapped around my compressor.
However, I'm still looking for another answer and happen to notice something:

When they changed the tensioner pulley, they also changed the idler pulley and serpentine belt.

I inspected and it appears that my belt is already showing signs of wear after only about 2 weeks.
The idler pulley doesn't seem wide enough to hold the belt, without the belt rubbing along the edge of the belt.
The idler pulley is slightly out of the picture, but you can see the belt starting to fray.

What do you think?

Look at the edge of the belt..
Looks like it's rubbing the edge.

Last edited by Anthony8858; 03-22-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:34 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

For starters that's not normal. Unless the belt was supplied that way and installed, I'd say you have a pulley somewhere that has some damage to it, or the idler or tensioner is not installed correctly. The tensioner has to alignment tabs on the face that mates with the front of the timing cover. I have seen where the tensioner gets installed and tightened down, and appears to be tightened down, but isn't seated properly.

I would take the belt off, inspect all the pulleys to make sure there are no sharp edges where the belt makes contact. Make sure the tensioner is installed correctly. Definitely get another belt.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by JBzXJ40
For starters that's not normal. Unless the belt was supplied that way and installed, I'd say you have a pulley somewhere that has some damage to it, or the idler or tensioner is not installed correctly. The tensioner has to alignment tabs on the face that mates with the front of the timing cover. I have seen where the tensioner gets installed and tightened down, and appears to be tightened down, but isn't seated properly.

I would take the belt off, inspect all the pulleys to make sure there are no sharp edges where the belt makes contact. Make sure the tensioner is installed correctly. Definitely get another belt.
+1

Odd that the've replaced the idler with a flanged plastic pulley, too. Jaguar superseded that part with one without (C2C22758), although I guess that there may be still some of the orginals around.

I'd be happier with something like this:

I changed the pulleys and serpentine on mine recently. The belt had not ragged anything like that in (at least) 12 years service.

edit: Q: Does that idler pulley have a flange at the back? Can't quite see for sure.

Mike

Last edited by michaelh; 03-22-2017 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Add Q
Old 03-22-2017, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by michaelh
+1

Odd that the've replaced the idler with a flanged plastic pulley, too. Jaguar superseded that part with one without (C2C22758), although I guess that there may be still some of the orginals around.

I'd be happier with something like this:

I changed the pulleys and serpentine on mine recently. The belt had not ragged anything like that in (at least) 12 years service.

edit: Q: Does that idler pulley have a flange at the back? Can't quite see for sure.

Mike
I believe the flanged one was put on in error, and the cause of what I'm seeing.
My part search shows the flanged as an option in most parts stores.

Which one is the right one for my car?
I have an appointment to address this tomorrow morning and want to know what I'm talking about.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

The part number is C2C22758, although the flanged pulley isn't necessarily the problem, unless it's the wrong part and the offset is different to the original. It's also simply held on by a bolt, so not much opportunity to get the fitting wrong.
The one I replaced was similar to that in your picture and hadn't caused any belt damage despite the bearing not being in the best of health.

Whether it would have caused the belt to snap, I don't know. But something ain't right.

Mike

Last edited by michaelh; 03-22-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:38 PM

If you look closely at the pic of the flanged pulley, you can see that theres a gap towards the rear and the belt is touching the outer flange.
When the car is running, I can see the belt rubbing on that flange

Funny thing.... when they changed the tensioner and idler, they did NOT change the belt because they said it was as good as new.
That tells me the problem is in the parts they installed. Either the tensioner or the idler.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

Agreed.
When something new happens, always review previous actions.

The belt I replaced also looked good; I just replaced it because of its age. It hangs in the garage as a spare, although it would be better kept in the trunk...

As it's the front of the belt that is getting damaged, it's trying to ride too far forward somewhere. Taking account of the direction the belt travels, the tensioner is immediately behind the idler.

I'm not sure if you have replaced the tensioner complete, or just the pulley (incidentally, that's the same now as the idler). If the whole unit, I'd suspect that it's either not be seated properly, or out of true.

Oh for an easy life

Mike

Old 03-22-2017, 08:18 PM

They changed both the tensioner and idler pulley.

Just looked again, and if I had to guess, I'd say that the idler pulley needs a washer or spacer on the rear. It seems to be offset.
Ever other pulley has the belt riding center except that idler.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member

Mmm. Just grabbed a shot of the idler from underneath mine:

You can see from the paint wear marks that the belt rides close to the front of the pulley. Perhaps that's why Jaguar deleted the flange?

The pulleys I used were Dayco:
Amazon Amazon

...half the price of the Jaguar ones, and probably even cheaper elsewhere.

HTH,
Mike

Old 03-22-2017, 09:01 PM

Mmm. Just grabbed a shot of the idler from underneath mine:

You can see from the paint wear marks that the belt rides close to the front of the pulley. Perhaps that's why Jaguar deleted the flange?

The pulleys I used were Dayco:
https://www.amazon.com/Dayco-89016-T...keywords=89016

...half the price of the Jaguar ones, and probably even cheaper elsewhere.

HTH,
Mike
Well, this pretty much sums it up.

HOWEVER.. Look at this idler for our cars!!
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/l...=idler+pulley#

Last edited by Anthony8858; 03-22-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member

Flanged on both edges? The OEMs had only one on the outer edge, AFAIK - as was the case with the one I replaced.

I read somewhere that recommended replacement was every 100K miles, so still some optimists out there...

M

Old 03-22-2017, 09:33 PM

Flanged on both edges? The OEMs had only one on the outer edge, AFAIK - as was the case with the one I replaced.

I read somewhere that recommended replacement was every 100K miles, so still some optimists out there...

M
Well, as you can see... Mine has flanges on both sides.

Very easy for a repair shop to make a mistake.

So which one is the right part? Still haven't found the answer yet.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member

Jaguar # C2C22758, or it's equivalent Dayco 89016, Gates, etc.

I did answer further up - sorry if it wasn't clear.

Mike

Old 03-22-2017, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Anthony, just checked my 98. It has flange on both sides, belt fits perfectly. You are in luck. I searched my email on o'rielly- found the receipt.

O'Reilly auto parts

Item 36720 cost $22. Been on my car 15 months now.

John

Old 03-23-2017, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Johnken
Anthony, just checked my 98. It has flange on both sides, belt fits perfectly. You are in luck. I searched my email on o'rielly- found the receipt.

O'Reilly auto parts

Item 36720 cost $22. Been on my car 15 months now.

John
I'm not in luck... lol
Now I'm confused

Clearly either pulley can work, but which is the right one, and why are there different ones?

Old 03-23-2017, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Well Anthony, I just told you of a pulley that works perfectly for nearly a year and an half on the same car (year/model).

I took the time to go out and verify this last night.

Maybe you're thinking this one too hard?

John

Old 03-23-2017, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Johnken
Well Anthony, I just told you of a pulley that works perfectly for nearly a year and an half on the same car (year/model).

I took the time to go out and verify this last night.

Maybe you're thinking this one too hard?

John
Yes John, I understand... That pulley has worked for you on your car... It is also the one on my car.
Michael, and an internet search are showing me the smooth pulley for my car as well.
Also from Jagrepair.com this basic diagram is showing me the smooth pulley.

I'm only looking for the answer to why some smooth, and some flanged?

Old 03-23-2017, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Just to put another spin on this, is your ribbed belt simply in the wrong groove on the alternator pulley? It is hard to tell from the picture, but is the belt too far "forward" on the alternator pulley, should it be one groove back? Would it even fit? If it was to fit, I would assume it would bring the belt further back on the idler as well, and would avoid any of this edge destruction.

Also, if you take a look at the belt, are the ribs symmetric? In other words, is the belt flipped, or inside/out?

Just a thought, best of luck.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Anthony,
When our cars were made, Jaguar fitted a plastic idler pulley, with either one or both flanges (I'm now not certain which; I didn't take too much notice of the one I removed.

At some point, there was a revision and it was given a new part #. It was still plastic.

At a later date still, there was a further revision to the idler. It lost its flange(s) and was made of metal rather than plastic. That part has not since been further revised, and is the one I quoted previously. A Jaguar dealer would supply that part as a replacement irrespective of what was already fitted.

It would not be wrong to fit a new plastic pulley if one was available. John has successfully done so, but he doesn't have a question mark over alignment.

Personally, I prefer the latest metal, flangeless version. I have seen what happens when the plastic type self destructs and it's not pretty. Search DaveInVA's post on that in the OEM replacements sticky.

So, in summary, the early versions of the idler were flanged and plastic, whereas the latest version is metal and without flanges.

Use the proper Jaguar part C2C22758 if you wish, although you will pay handsomely at the dealer. The Dayco and Gates are equivalent and can be bought for considerably less.

Whichever route you choose, you need to keep an eye on the belt until you are satisfied that the chafing problem has been rectified.

Mike

Last edited by michaelh; 03-24-2017 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Best to get the OP's name correct..
Old 03-23-2017, 12:10 PM

Thanks for clarifying.
As we speak, I'm having a new flangeless pulley installed along with a new belt.
I'll keep a watchful eye on the wear of the belt for any signs of fraying .
The mechanic working on the car is confident that we solved this problem.
I guess we'll know soon enough