XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tenax fastener

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 03:01 PM
Received 67 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Tenax fastener

I could use a little help with the Tenax fasteners used on the convertible tonneau: The car was bought with a brand new (and very expensive) tonneau, but the former owner of the car was not aware of the type of fitting used and gave the fitting of the fastener to an upholstery firm, clearly not a good move. Between them, they decided to use the oval hole type of fastener with a twist top post. Then, inexplicably, someone decided that the correct place for this was at the innermost of the two screws that fasten the metal corner cover, rather than the outermost (in the center of the cover 'wing'. Not only that but a two screw, base type fastening was used. Froom photos found on the web, I determined where the correct position was intended to be. Now I need to order up two sets of Tenax fasteners. I find that wire bail types seem unobtainable other than via Jag dealers, and I don't wish to remortgage the house, so plain Tenax buttons will have to do. I found Eagleday.com / Import auto parts, in Florida, who seem to have what I need, and for a small fraction of the Jag cost. As to the post itself, I see that there are two screw types available (other than 2BA machine screws), one for wood and one for sheet metal. Am I correct in assuming the sheet metal is the one I need? Is the post a standard height? Finally, what is the original base of the post like? I see that a shallow hex is standard, but there is a type with a taller hex base. Which should I order? Many thanks for your help!.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Atlastajag1, Hi, I read your post and have to admit I'm a little confused. Could you help us by asking the question again, maybe a little differently? I have to admit I don't know what Tenax means, it would be great for you to eplain that too.

Are you asking about the male fastener's position or how it is mounted?

Hope this helps you get an answer mate.

John

Last edited by Johnken; 06-27-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:27 AM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts

it's the little snap fastener that connects the tonneau cover to the front portion of the rear bulkhead - you can get those at most boat shops or marinas

Old 06-27-2016, 11:02 AM
Default Clarification; Tenax

Yes, Tenax is the name of the manufacturers, and that is the fastener I am asking about. First question: does anyone know where to get the type used by Jag on the XK8, and which has a SS wire bail. Any source I have found on the web, such as the firm in Ft Lauderdale offers only the plain type. 2nd: Am I correct is assuming that the post for the Tenax fastener goes in the screw hole about halfway around the trim behind the driver's shoulder (or passenger's), and not the other screw hole, which is at the most inboard position of the two visible screws. (That is the one someone has elected to place their non-Tenax fastener presently) 3rd, at the website www.eagleday.com/tenaxfasteners1.html
you can select English type and look down the sample pictures to see that there are three types of post mounting. Looking at what the trim screws screw into on the car (it's a nylon female snap-in piece) I am guessing now that the desired thread is a wood thread, rather than a sheet metal self-tapping type. Note farther down that two bases are offered, both with a hex to grasp, but one taller at the hex. I would appreciate a measurement of the height of the pin, and how it compares with either of the two bases depicted. Thanks!

Old 06-27-2016, 04:17 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Ebay

Old 06-27-2016, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Here are some photos of the male fasteners from the blue cat. Used my iPhone, so quality is a little grainy on the shot from below.

Almost any marine shop/boat supply will have these in various sizes.

Hope it helps.

Attached Thumbnails Tenax fastener-img_1004.jpg   Tenax fastener-img_1007.jpg   Tenax fastener-img_1010.jpg  
Old 06-28-2016, 07:30 AM
Default Tenax fastener

Thanks Jag#4 for taking the time to do that for me. That answers the problem of the peg part of the question nicely. Unless someone has a non-Jag supplier of the Tenax bail-type female part, I'll just go with the Florida supplier. I have now to remove the oval turn-post male fittings from the car, and the female fittings from the cover, and (somehow) patch the holes.
The butchery of this quality cover aside (it has a Carcoustics QC tag on it, so it likely came through a Jag dealer) I just realized that the curved aluminium rod is present inside the passenger 'wing' isn't in the driver's side. (No sign of any tampering with stitchery; and so much for Mr. or Mrs "M.C." at Carcoustics quality control!)
Would someone please confirm that this curved rod is supposed to be present on both sides? Much appreciated; thanks!

Old 06-28-2016, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

[QUOTE=Atlastajag1

Just checked, rod is on both sides. In case they lost the pins that go under trunk lid to secure it : you can make replacements with wood dowels and rubber washers found in any hardware store. Hope it helps. John

Old 06-29-2016, 07:19 AM
Default Soft top cover

Thanks! Clearly, the top had a manufacturing defect that no one, including the purchaser, even noticed. I will copy the passenger side - if possible, without taking the rod out - and make the DS correct. The three pegs are present. Thanks for the assist!