XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tensioners how to tell

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 08:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tensioners how to tell

I was prepared to take my 1998 Jaguar XK8 coupe with 60,000 km (36,000 miles) to a Jaguar dealership next week to have the secondary tensioners done as a precaution when the service adviser who indicated the price originally would be approximately $1,500.00 said it could be as high as $3,800.00. Is there a way I could ask to get an estimate prior to doing the work, that is would removing the valve covers or??? let them see what the scope of the job will be prior to tearing into the job?
On top of that work I was also going to replace the water pump, thermostat and housing (things that other forum members recommended I do while its apart) for originally around $2,000.00, however if the bill is going to be $4,500.00 total I'll wait till it grenades and get another engine minus Nikasil and all the first generation problems.
Thanks to all who respond
George

Old 07-25-2013, 09:21 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That sounds to me like a real good excuse to get your hands dirty and do some of that work yourself.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Either do the work yourself or find a qualified Jaguar independent shop. Those prices are absurd.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Sounds like the Owner of the Dealership has a Payment due on his Yacht (or Private Jet).

The following users liked this post:
Bob OB (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

The $1500 estimate is for only the secondary tensioners although that is the highest estimate I have ever seen out of a dealer. An indy shop probably would charge a maximum of $800. The $3800 is probably for both primary and secondary for which there is a very, very low probability of being required.

If you want to have a go at DIY everyone here will stand over you shoulder to help it get done correctly. It is not difficult and will cost less than $200.

If in good shape now, you Nikasil engine will probably outlast the steel sleeve versions.

. . . and welcome to the forum!

Old 07-26-2013, 04:26 AM

Thank you for reading and especially to those who have answered. I have done automotive work on my collector cars in the past but they were old school carb north American cars except my Hybrid Detomaso Pantera . I've never even done an oil change on the Jag. Just looking under the hood makes me nervous just from the standpoint of the unknown. however I may have to suck it up. Its not so much the money as the feeling of being ripped off. I know much has been written about the secondary tensioner replacement but is there the "ULTIMATE" step by step how to instructions and a list of everything I will need to complete the task? I don't even have a shop manual for this car as it was not ever something I was going to everwrench.
Once I absorb the how to I'll make my decision if I'll proceed and keep in touch with the forum.
Thank you all once again
George

Old 07-26-2013, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member

If you have any experience wrenching the tensioners are not going to be a problem. The zip tie method is especially easy.

The 'shop manual' is available as a free download in the sticky above.

There are more than a few posts on how to do this. Here are a few:

Cam Chain Tensioners - Removing Valve Covers Only
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...17/#post316489

Cam Chain Tensioner Tools
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...20/#post471746
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-review-99234/

Cam Chain Tensioners
Help - sudden fail - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
I just changed my own timing chain tensioners........ - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Ford tensioners for Jaguar??? - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Tensioners, when are they a "must replace" item? - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...eplacement-pdf

Cam Chain Tensioners Lincoln LS Part Numbers
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...34/#post330655

JTIS .pdf files on Chains/Tensioners replacement
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...prokets-54603/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...xtracts-66696/

Cam locking tool dimensions
Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Cam Chain Tensioners Cam Removal Method 2nd tensions DIY instruction "HOW TO" - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Broken Cam Due to Removing Cam
Cam shaft woes - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Last edited by test point; 07-26-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:21 AM
Received 158 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by frisk3
..looking under the hood makes me nervous just from the standpoint of the unknown.

... I don't even have a shop manual for this car as it was not ever something I was going to everwrench.
George,

At least one thread already on-forum as to the details.

Per test point
It is not difficult and will cost less than $200.
..plus a modest (temporary) investment in the HIGHLY recommended bespoke kit to 'bar' or lock the bits in place whilst doing the do.

Safe enough to acquire such a kit used - any damage would be obvious and easily corrected - and it can then be sold-on afterwards, as you probably won't need it a second time.

I bought the CD version of the shop manual for my 2005 X350. Tried the downloads, but they were just too tedious for a non-Windows user, given the CD's were so cheap, even with post from the UK.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:11 AM
JSC
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

George, the prices you mention is about correct for a Jaguar Dealer. I took my (also a 98 XK8) car in for secondary tensioners as precuation maintenance, and they found the primary guides were cracked. The secondary tensioners were both broken. The $3,800 is worst case, and I think would include tensioners, chains, and guides. The dealer did all of mine including water pump, thermostat, etc. for a lot less than that, but they were willing to negotiate.

When I had to replace the head gaskets two months later, I took it to another shop with an excellent Jag tech. I was going to do this myself with the help of the experts on this forum, but I do not have the time.

Unfortunately, the dealer don't know what they will find once the covers are off, and gave you the worst as well. On my car I was hoping for the $1,500 bill, but even with a complete service history in my pocket, it ended up at worst case plus more.

I would rather spend the $4,500 at the dealer than going for another engine..
Just my 2c..

Old 07-26-2013, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member

Any 'tool man' should look at the Jaguar specific cam timing tool set referenced in this link:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-review-99234/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-J...f766df&vxp=mtr

I considered acquiring this set even though I have already done mine. Never know when another opportunity will present itself. Guess that is why I now have two old Volvo's under restoration.

At $200 purchase for the set it almost eliminates the 'rent' solution.

Last edited by test point; 07-26-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:08 AM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

Just want to add my encouragement for you to try the job yourself if you have the time. It is a straight mechanical remove and replace nuts and bolts job with no special know-how needed. Some of the valve cover bolts are a little hard to reach, but everything is right there where you can see and reach it. Once you get into it, you'll see that it is just a car and not some exotic machine. Just disconnect the battery first so you don't have to worry about electronic glitches, and handle the plastic parts with care, especially the plastic hoses.
Good luck!

Old 07-26-2013, 08:35 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

I paid $600 for my secondary tensioners to be replaced in MD at an independent shop. I got the same estimate in Chicago. Please just make some calls if you don't want to do it yourself. The water pump, thermostat, and housing is VERY simple. A ratchet set is all you should need. Look up how to do it- I would be surprised if it causes any concern for you. You will have everything you listed done for under $1k easy with some calls and 1-2 hours of work for someone who has never done the pump before. Jac

Old 07-26-2013, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

If you can remove a camshaft cover and are comfortable using a torque wrench to set the bolts, you can do it.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

The eBay listing has been updated to show only one unit remaining.

Land Rover Jaguar Cam Timing Kit | eBay

No interest or benefit but for anyone that works on Jaguars/Land Rovers that appears to be a great took kit.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:56 PM

Thank you all for your sage insight. I will try to absorb it all and make my decision this weekend after reading all the how to articles.
I will keep the forum informed of my decision and possible progress
Many thanks
Ciao
George

Old 07-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Received 158 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
The eBay listing has been updated to show only one unit remaining.

Land Rover Jaguar Cam Timing Kit | eBay

No interest or benefit but for anyone that works on Jaguars/Land Rovers that appears to be a great took kit.
New ones from other sources, ebay sellers included - (perhaps also made in China as that one is..) are not scarce, but ARE about $100 more.

Figure they are 'available enough' to not yet want to stock one until a better-deal-yet passes by. OTOH, I have only 35K miles on the 2009-vintage engine so far.. and am at least 'whistling past the cemetery' that the 2009 replacement V8 had the newer tensioner style vis the original 2005 motor.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

A newbie question: Why would we need to check these tensioners short of 150,000 miles or so? My '04 XJ8 is running perfectly at 110,000 miles and we bought it new.

Someone enlighten me.

Thanks.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 678 Likes on 552 Posts

The secondary tensioners were upgraded during the 2002 model run. The earlier styles had plastic bodies and with engine heat, stress, etc. they would crack and fail. 2003 and later models have metal bodies and do not crack.

Your engine should have the 3rd generation tensioners.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag#4
The secondary tensioners were upgraded during the 2002 model run. The earlier styles had plastic bodies and with engine heat, stress, etc. they would crack and fail. 2003 and later models have metal bodies and do not crack.

Your engine should have the 3rd generation tensioners.
Thanks for the info.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

You don't. Your car came with the latest metal tensioners and there has not been a reported failure, on this forum, of the metal tensioners.

Unfortunately, a number of your friends with earlier engines, with the plastic tensioners, have experienced terminal engine failure at miles as low as 40k.

Quick Reply: Tensioners how to tell