XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat Housing Intake Lift?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 03:31 PM
Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Thermostat Housing Intake Lift?

I've searched the forum on suggestions on replacing the plastic thermostat housing with an aluminum one. It is secured by (4) 8mm bolts two of which are under the intake manifold. The easiest way to get to them is to use a crowfoot wrench. I've scoured Hawaii for one but no luck. I can order one from Amazon for $41 (!) and wait 3 or 4 days for it to get here or I can lift the intake to get at it with a socket.

My concern is that if I lift the intake to get to the bolts, would I have to replace the intake gaskets? Anyone else dealt with this? Perils of lifting intake?

Thanks!

Old 11-15-2016, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Two common methods of removal:

1.) Bend a cheap 8mm box end wrench while heating with a torch while holding the box in a vice. Box end crows foot.

2.) You are going to trash the old plastic tower aren't you?. Remove the front bolts and use pliers to 'nibble' the plastic into small bites exposing the rear bolts.

[edit] Meant to add that the less you disturb what's not broke the better off you are. I would suggest that you not lift the intake manifold if can avoid it.

Also . . . you will note that the the new aluminum housing is shiny bright. It will stand out as shiny bright right in the middle of an otherwise black engine until it corrodes into ugly old aluminum which will still stand out on an otherwise black engine. Paint it black.

Last edited by test point; 11-15-2016 at 05:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jobagadonuts (11-18-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

+1 on nibbling it away. When I did mine I broke the old plastic one in to pieces and then had access to the bolts. I then changed the bolts to socket head allen bolts and it was a breeze to refit with a ball end allen.
If you lift the manifold I would definitely change the gaskets.
Be careful and don't overtighten the fasteners on the new unit. Everything is O-Ring seals and don't require being crushed.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:26 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

I have done a few in my life and I always just remove the (10) 13mm head (M8X1.25) intake bolts and lift the front of the intake. It will pivot on the throttle mount bolts.

You only need to lift the front an inch or more to get clearance. I always blow all the debris from the intake-to-head areas so that nothing will get between the flexible gaskets when you lower the manifold. It is the fastest way I know of.

I've never had an intake leak but it is a possibility.

bob

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
jobagadonuts (11-18-2016), reb1999 (11-27-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 10:07 AM
Received 139 Likes on 117 Posts

I tried mine with a crows foot and couldn't get them to move. Ended up removing the manifold and replacing all the gaskets plus the valley hoses - one less potential known trouble spot to worry about. Removing the manifold isn't difficult technical wise - if you go down that route just be methodical and organised. If you shop around for the parts they are not too expensive.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:59 PM
Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts

breaking the old plastic mount is easiest can the get at the rear bolts with needle nose vice grips etc. when replacing it switch out the rear bolts for hex head bolts so you can get at it with a ball end hex driver. also look at replacing the little hose between the housing and the radiator the hose that's approx. 1 in in length.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:43 PM
Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
Two common methods of removal:

1.) Bend a cheap 8mm box end wrench while heating with a torch while holding the box in a vice. Box end crows foot.

2.) You are going to trash the old plastic tower aren't you?. Remove the front bolts and use pliers to 'nibble' the plastic into small bites exposing the rear bolts.

[edit] Meant to add that the less you disturb what's not broke the better off you are. I would suggest that you not lift the intake manifold if can avoid it.

Also . . . you will note that the the new aluminum housing is shiny bright. It will stand out as shiny bright right in the middle of an otherwise black engine until it corrodes into ugly old aluminum which will still stand out on an otherwise black engine. Paint it black.
Thanks for the advise. I bent a 8mm as you instructed and it worked fine (a quarter turn at a time). Ended up spraying a coat or two of clear on the housing, hope that keeps it shiny! Used hex bolts to replace with ball allen wrench and took less than 10 minutes to do.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,323 Likes on 735 Posts

Here is what I did and it may help you. If nothing but getting the right size bolts to replace the 8 MM ones.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ousing-119815/

Wayne