Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are These Codes Related?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 12:00 AM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Are These Codes Related?

Hey Lads,

Had my friends check the XK8 for codes and these popped up together it seems? I have been chasing transmission issues and have had the codes read a couple of times. The first time they checked them and the only one of these engine related codes I got was the P0430

Now they have read the codes again and I had some new friends join the party and considering that one is fuel pressure related, wondered if it would be responsible for the others?

P0430 - Catalytic converter system efficiency below threshold bank 2

The new kids to the party - maybe all at one time?

P0191 - IP Sensor circuit range / performance
P0171 - Bank 1 combustion too lean
P0172 - Bank 1 combustion too rich

Something tells me the P0191 might be directly responsible for the other two so I have ordered a new fuel filter just because and then I want to check my fuel pressure on the rail.

Any other thoughts?
Car starts and seems to run fine (except for my tranny issues)

Old 02-07-2017, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I'd do the same. If fuel delivery isn't OK (or isn't reported properly) then other faults can result.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:23 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I would replace the fuel filter and then check the fuel pressure first and see where it takes you.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

For an '03, the relevant parameters are fortunately available over OBDII, as part of the standard protocol. A cheap ELM327 with Torque Pro can monitor all of this in real time. Fuel pressure is definitely available (should be a round 55 psi). Also, check the long-term and short term fuel trims for a more complete picture.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by fmertz
For an '03, the relevant parameters are fortunately available over OBDII, as part of the standard protocol. A cheap ELM327 with Torque Pro can monitor all of this in real time. Fuel pressure is definitely available (should be a round 55 psi). Also, check the long-term and short term fuel trims for a more complete picture.

Best of luck, keep us posted.
Thanks!

Do you have a recommendation on both tools?

Bernie

Old 02-07-2017, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by razorboy
Do you have a recommendation on both tools?
If you have an Android device, you can get a Bluetooth ELM327 scan tool off of eBay for next to nothing. I use the "KW903", but you can spend way less if you want. Search for "ELM327", and read the fine print.

The software is TorquePro, off of Google Play. It costs a few $. Once you have it, you can build your own dashboard with whatever gauges you like. Each gauge is driven by a data source, like LTFT, fuel pressure, intake air temp, etc. You can also read and reset codes, graph real time data, do data capture, etc.

If you have an iPhone, my understanding is that you have to get a WIFI ELM327 scan tool (not Bluetooth). Others can chime in, but I believe there is an equivalent app on the Apple market.

As a general statement, for the dollars involved, it is silly not to get this setup, even if it only gets you the standard OBDII stuff. None of the proprietary Jaguar codes are effectively handled. The longer version is that this device can read all codes (all protocols are supported at the hardware level), but TorquePro has no knowledge of their internal structure or meaning, so is blind to any of the Jaguar codes (transmission, ABS, chassis, etc.). Hope this helps.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:15 PM

If you have an Android device, you can get a Bluetooth ELM327 scan tool off of eBay for next to nothing. I use the "KW903", but you can spend way less if you want. Search for "ELM327", and read the fine print.

The software is TorquePro, off of Google Play. It costs a few $. Once you have it, you can build your own dashboard with whatever gauges you like. Each gauge is driven by a data source, like LTFT, fuel pressure, intake air temp, etc. You can also read and reset codes, graph real time data, do data capture, etc.

If you have an iPhone, my understanding is that you have to get a WIFI ELM327 scan tool (not Bluetooth). Others can chime in, but I believe there is an equivalent app on the Apple market.

As a general statement, for the dollars involved, it is silly not to get this setup, even if it only gets you the standard OBDII stuff. None of the proprietary Jaguar codes are effectively handled. The longer version is that this device can read all codes (all protocols are supported at the hardware level), but TorquePro has no knowledge of their internal structure or meaning, so is blind to any of the Jaguar codes (transmission, ABS, chassis, etc.). Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Since writing that post, I have done some research and am digging the OBDCOM software. Looks legit and I like that they are a small USA company.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

If you are looking at spending at the level beyond these cheap ELM327, and run software on a laptop, there is this:

Jaguar & Land Rover Diagnostics Equipment

This reportedly brings you "everything*", same as a "dealer-level" tool. Check the FAQ for the specifics.

(*) It does not re-flash modules.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:34 PM

If you are looking at spending at the level beyond these cheap ELM327, and run software on a laptop, there is this:

Jaguar & Land Rover Diagnostics Equipment

This reportedly brings you "everything*", same as a "dealer-level" tool. Check the FAQ for the specifics.

(*) It does not re-flash modules.
It does clear adaptations though which is something I can certainly use right now with my transmission. Going to ask them a couple of questions. Looks legit!