XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 08:43 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ticket?

This may have been asked and answered before, and I expect it will be a very short thread, but has anyone ever gotten a speeding ticket while driving their XK/R? How fast were you going, where was it, and what was the fine?

Old 11-09-2012, 09:40 AM
GGG
Received 16,767 Likes on 12,155 Posts

125 mph
A28 Louviers - France
€90

What can I say - the Gendarme liked Jaguars. It should have been around €400.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Ticket?-speeding.jpg  
Old 11-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Got popped for a ticket early this year for going 93 mph in a 55 mph zone.

What the officer didn't know is that he caught me slowing down from about 120 mph. So I was more than happy to get popped for 93.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Nope (and knocking on wood as I type). I seriously doubt if my wife has ever driven her XK8 over 80 mph, and that would be on I-95 while other cars are passing her at 90 mph or more....

Old 11-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by The Coupe

What the officer didn't know is that he caught me slowing down from about 120 mph. So I was more than happy to get popped for 93.

You were lucky there. In Louisiana if caught going more than 20 mph over the speed limit, you are also charged with Reckless Operation which means a mandatory court appearance before a judge and you are also subject to being arrested, put into handcuffs and taken to jail to post bail to get out.

Those prospects have meant that I have only had two very quick runs up to about 110 and then quickly back down to 80 or so.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Was on a freeway entrance in earlier this year and got on it but slowed to traffic speed when I got entered the freeway. Unfortunately I did not see the unmarked State Trooper right behind me while getting on the freeway. He pulled me over about a mile later:

Trooper: Do you know why I pulled you over?
Me: Probably the entrance ramp?
Trooper: Yep - Do you know how fast you were going?
Me: 70?
Trooper: Try 80. I followed you with my laser all the way down.
Me: (smiling) OK -Could very well be.

Since I had a good driving record, he gave me a warning. It probably helped my wife was with me a gave him a big smile (she is much better looking than me).

Old 11-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin D
You were lucky there. In Louisiana if caught going more than 20 mph over the speed limit, you are also charged with Reckless Operation which means a mandatory court appearance before a judge and you are also subject to being arrested, put into handcuffs and taken to jail to post bail to get out.

Those prospects have meant that I have only had two very quick runs up to about 110 and then quickly back down to 80 or so.

You're darn right I was lucky...with the law, my wife, my daughters, everybody! And truth is, I was only at 120 mph for about 30 seconds, and was coasting back down towards sanity when the officer saw me. I was in the car alone, early on a Sunday morning, and the stretch of freeway I was on was completely empty. Wouldn't have done it, otherwise.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by mike6348
Was on a freeway entrance in earlier this year and got on it but slowed to traffic speed when I got entered the freeway. Unfortunately I did not see the unmarked State Trooper right behind me while getting on the freeway. He pulled me over about a mile later:

Trooper: Do you know why I pulled you over?
Me: Probably the entrance ramp?
Trooper: Yep - Do you know how fast you were going?
Me: 70?
Trooper: Try 80. I followed you with my laser all the way down.
Me: (smiling) OK -Could very well be.

Since I had a good driving record, he gave me a warning. It probably helped my wife was with me a gave him a big smile (she is much better looking than me).
Wait, aren't you supposed to say, "Nope, I don't have any idea why you would pull me over, I didn't do anything wrong. You just wanted a closer look at my car, that's it, isn't it?"

A trooper in the 70's pulled me over in my custom painted 340 Duster with nice mags and tires. I got out and went to the rear of the car. He walked past me and walked all the way around the car, looking at it real hard. When he got back to me he said, "That is one good looking Plymouth!" He was in a Plymouth cruiser, and I thought I might get out with just a warning. No such luck, he gave me the ticket and said, "You need to go see the Judge to pay this, he works part time in the package liquor store in town." This was in very rural Mississippi, and sure enough, I found the judge in the liquor store.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts

Also knocking on wood, I often have the urge to shoot the on-ramp too, but that fear of not knowing who is already nearby on the freeway has always given me pause. Too many times I've thought about it, reconsidered, and backed off to enter at a less exuberant pace, to find myself right in front of a CHP cruiser!

Steve

Old 11-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
125 mph
A28 Louviers - France
€90

What can I say - the Gendarme liked Jaguars. It should have been around €400.

Graham
Well done Graham!!!

In NZ, anyone caught doing 140kph (87mph) or more looses their licence for at least 28 days and gets a rather large fine. Over 150kph, and I'd be explaning myself to a judge.

I am yet to get a ticket in my baby but I am at greater risk that ever before. I'm planning to taker her out on a track just so I can see what she can really do.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by The Coupe

Originally Posted by Kevin D
Lucky indeed. I seem to have the opposite luck. Got nailed recently for 64/45 at midnight on a four-lane with no other traffic in sight. I had been trapped behind lumbering SUVs going about 40mph, blocking both lanes in tandem for the previous few miles. They finally turned off (one left, one right) and I 'gave it some gas' and was immediately caught. No defense.

Even though it was my first ticket in 20 years, and the previous one was an almost identical circumstance--had sped up for just a moment to get past someone.

In my state you can also be hauled off to jail for going 20 over and it is an automatic reckless driving citation.

The fines are trivial but the hit to your insurance--for years afterward--can amount to many thousands of dollars.

None of this was in my XK8--I don't usually drive it that fast.

Last edited by Marsden; 11-09-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

On my maiden voyage home from Scottsdale, I opened it up in the hinterlands of eastern Colorado and opened it up to 143 before shutting it down. The car had more in it, but the stretch of tar I was on just sucked and I realized I was being stupid. Got it back down to 60, crested a ridge, and passed a Colorado State Patrol headed the other way. Hat tip to my angel, and finished the ride hope on cruise control.

I my younger days, I was clocked in the median of I-680 at 135 mph. Going way to fast, came up on some cars, and opted to hit the grass in the middle and go around them. Flawlessly executed on my part, but the Nebraska State Patrol observing the idiot in the Dodge Charger was not impressed. He threatened me with felony speeding, willful reckless driving, and a BUNCH of other items. I signed for all of them. Took them to a Sig Ep judge with my Sig Ep lawyer, plead no contest to a reduced charge and took a 3 hour night class and lost zero points off of the license.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't drive (too much) over the limit 'cause I feel like a police magnet. Only time I really revved it up was on a flat stretch of road while recalibrating the transmission. It always feels to me like you are going faster than you are because with the top down the wind makes it seem like more. I once asked my passenger how fast she thought I was going and she said 50. It was 35. One of the items on my bucket list is to drive at Indy in the Indy Racing Experience. Ride or Drive an IndyCar at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Old 11-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Missed this post earlier. I've never been caught doing anything too crazy in the Jag, but I did get a warning for 74 in a 55 The officer happened to be the father of one of my coworkers and I was on my way to work. I got lucky there.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Too many years ago in LA i got caught doing 65 in a 55 .
Tried very hard to talk my way out of ticket , but got it anyway.
After looking at ticket closely I noticed CHP officer entered that I was doing 55 in a 65 zone .
Judge laughed and dismissed.
Also had a Ford Cortina GT that I cranked up leaving a stop light . cop gave me ticket for 65mph .
Went to court pleaded that a 4cyl small British car was totally incapable of acceleration cop claimed.
Judge thought that too , case dismissed

Old 11-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Several decades ago ....

150 mph on a 60 mph expressway resulting in a warning to slow down and be more careful. He had been out the night before clocking his buddy's identical Trans Am racing car at just a bit over the same speed ... same stretch of road